Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2008 Winnebago Sightseer antennas

My wife and I have purchased a new 2008 Sightseer 34R last July, and have been enjoying it ever since. I am wanting to install an XM satelite antenna, and observed I have 2 black what look like radio antennas on the roof. Assuming 1 is for the AM/FM, does anyone know what the other one is for?

And a related question- owners manual indicates unit is prewired for a CB- does that mean for a CB Antenna connection also?

As you can see, I'm loathe to drill holes in my new baby!
Any and all help is gereatly appreciated!

Suvvy
Suvvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've been told that the second antenna is for the CB and when they pre-wired the unit, that included the antenna already.
mrb604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

You should have 2 rubber duck antennas on the roof, one is for front
AM/FM and second rubber duck is for external AM/FM or one in bedroom. THe CB antenna is up front and to the right above the driver. Behind the dash if you lift it up should be a plastic bag with the CB wiring in it. When connecting CB to wiring and antenna make sure you check SWR and it should not be more than 1.5.

Hope this helps and good luck
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Anntennae

If you have an XM antenna installed, it will be a small, matchbook sized lump with the wire going into the roof. I've got the antenna, but have looked for the other end (inside) for over two years without success. I took out the trim around the A/V stuff above the passenger seat and placed a magnetic XM antenna on top of the metal framework. Since the front cap is fiberglass, I figured it would work fine, and it does!

As to the CB wiring, I think you have wiring for the power for a CB installed, but not an antenna. I had to remove the trim around the fuse panel on the firewall to the left of the steering wheel to find the power wiring. It was there, but not easy to find!

I used a "thru the glass" CB antenna -- didn't want to put a hole in the roof.

Good luck!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

So your XM shoots right thru the fiberglass?? That would be ideal!

Suvvy
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I'll check it out in the light of day. Thanks!

Suvvy
Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Checked the XM (actually Sirius, but they're the same) from S. CAL. to Reno, worked great no matter which way I was pointed. Actually got the idea from this forum!

Good luck with the CB!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You have two black antennas on your roof. The antenna over the cab is for the AM/FM radio in your dash. The other black antenna is for the AM/FM radio mounted beside your entry door under the outside access panel.

If you do find a XM prewired antenna I would like to know where it is. I mounted an XM antenna on the metal frame on the inside under the fiberglass roof. I find that an XM antenna setting on my dash works better.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

1. CB: 12v wiring only, not antenna. That said, on 2 Winnies (including an 08 Sightseer) I've never found that elusive bag. The chap that hides them is very good at his/her job.
2. We put our XM antenna in a cabinet over the driver seat. "Sees" through the fiberglass with no problem...you might have to move it an inch or so to avoid any metal structure.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our coach (bought off a dealer's lot) came with several options we would not have ordered, among them a satellite dish on the roof. While up there looking at it, I noticed a satellite antenna glued to the roof, with the lead running into the dish wiring and presumably into the dash. Also, the radio that came with it has a "Sirius Ready" logo on the face. Since we are big satellite radio fans, and tow a jeep with the Sirius radio, I figured to activate the coach radio. Discovered that it required an additional $750 module ($650 since I already had the antenna). So, am now using a Sirius adapter, broadcasting an FM signal to the dash radio. Since I could never find the inside end of the factory installed Sirius antenna, I attached the magnetic Sirius antenna to the metal framework above the TV stuff in the cabinet above the passenger seat, running the wire into the TV area and behind the trim in the center of the windshield. As mentioned in an earlier post, it works fine. I had put it on the dash before, but had to move it depending on the direction we were traveling. An added benefit is that it broadcasts a strong enough signal that I can pick it up in the bedroom and on the outside radio.

As to the CB power wiring, you will find it under the dash to the left of the steering wheel, but you will have to look. I had to remove the trim around the fuse panel and sure enough, it was there as advertised, tagged and everything. You do not have a factory installed CB antenna.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
TBI
Winnebago Camper

I have the same setup with my XM antenna on the top of the cabinet above the drivers seat. It works great there. Ran the lead down the "A" post. Still looking for the CB prep wiring though.
TBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBI View Post
I have the same setup with my XM antenna on the top of the cabinet above the drivers seat. It works great there. Ran the lead down the "A" post. Still looking for the CB prep wiring though.
Did you look behind the fuse panel trim as I mentioned? Let me know if you still can't find it.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just took delivery on a 2009 Destination that has the CB Prep Package, and was shocked to discover that this did not include an antenna on the roof. Trying to decide if I want to put the antenna on the roof, use a "through the glass" or just forget it all together.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The only reason we got involved in a CB is that we are going on a WIT tour this summer (Beluga Whale Tour to Churchill, Manitoba) and they want all participating coaches to have CB's. I have installed a thru-the-window antenna, but have yet to try it out on the road.