Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

If this article looks familiar it's because I borrowed it from a previous post. Rather than start all over again I thought that I would expand on my remarks and include the pictures I promised in this post. I'm thinking that I could have placed the pics in the previous post but I thought it would be a big effort for little return if it got lost. So here we go.

Regarding this content, please see the iRV2.com News Blog on the front page for additional information and photographs.

This year's theme "The Competitive Edge"

Returning from the RVIA Show here in Louisville I couldn't wait to get on the computer so that we could release the news. Yes indeed Winnebago Industries in a major Press Announcement made by Mr. Bruce Hertzke this morning at about 9:30 revealed from under a black curtain 2 new models of motorhome which are not just mere carbon copies of existing models but totally new coaches from top to bottom. Mr. Hertzke in his introductory comments said that Winnebago Industries gave a great deal of input to Workhorse in the process of engineering the new coaches.

2008 Itasca Latitude sporting the "new" Workhorse UFO fender badge

The names of the models are the Winnebago Destination and the Itasca Latitude. These rigs are available in 2 different floorplans the 37G and 39W. The interior of the coaches feature extensive usage of rounded cabinet doors and absence of hinges. The front cabin area of the coach over the driver's station features a semi circular array of cabinets that give more than the appearance of just a pretty face but they also have deep storage capabilities from left to right.

Latitude showing off its one piece windshield and low parked wipers

The interior of the coach features quite a bit of detail lighting by means of rope lights which are located up high in the corners of the woodwork out of sight. A very nice effect indeed.

The passenger's seat is set back both off from the dash and from the side wall in order to give the occupant the feeling of space and so that when the chair is rotated aft it looks more like a piece of furniture rather than a passenger seat.

Latitude's side opening doors under the main slideout feature large storage enclosures

The interior of the coach features a large wide screen flat panel display and its located midway up on the wall on the right side of the coach. There was no mention of a front mounted TV.

The coach features a one-piece windshield with low mounted wiper blades and arms similar to an automobile or pickup truck.

Dual rear exhaust. Workhorse SSC chrome tips would look exceptional installed here

The bedroom area features a center island type bed on the 37G with a closet slideout on the street side. The slideout on the 39W has a queen or king bed option, closet, pantry, refrigerator and the kitchen counter. The slideout looks like it's about 20 feet long.

The interior of the 39W has a center wall with a walk through bathroom similar to the 38T bathroom. There's plenty of room in the bath and there's plenty of room for your stuff.

[b}2008 Winnebago Destination front fascia and distinctive artwork[/b]

The Standard chassis for these motorhomes is the 26,000lb. gas-powered UFO chassis. Reviewing the weight and loading sheet on the Latitude UFO the CCC was 2,700+ pounds. This should be plenty of weight carrying capacity for more owners given this is a 39 foot motorhome with a very long street side slideout.

The 39W Winnebago Destination was presented on a 28K Freightliner XC RDP that features the 300HP 6.7L Cummins ISB engine. In an interview with Winnebago executives Winnebago has an in place agreement that they will only use diesel engines of any kind in Freightliner Custom Chassis. The CCC on this coach was 3,610 pounds.

Destination's long curb side slideout

The Workhorse UFO will be only available in gas if you want to buy a Winnebago or Itasca motorhome. Now that's not altogether a bad thing unless you absolutely must have diesel. The Workhorse UFO is a dream to drive and it has more than enough power to meet and exceed the requirements of most owners. In an interview with a Winnebago executive he told both Bill and I that by placing the gas engine in the rear that things such as squeaks and rattles would be more readily apparent. If they were to exist extensive testing was done on the Winnebago test track in order to defeat the possibility of squeaks and rattles detracting from the quality of the ride. The UFO is remarkably quiet when going down the road.

Destination's FLXC single exhaust tip

Looking over at the air conditioning system, it remains a basement model located on the street side. On the other side of the motorhome is a side mounted A/C condenser. The One Place continues as it always has by placing all the coach controls in a single location. I made a comment to the product planner of the coach that a ceiling downlight for the One Place would be needed since Winnebago customers like to see the light there.

39W entertainment station featuring a 30" flat panel TV and assorted electronics

Some of the features of these new motorhomes are:

<LI> Workhorse UFO Gas Pusher - Standard
<LI> Freightliner XC DP - Optional
<LI> Full Body paint w/ Film Graphics
<LI> Mid Coach Entry
<LI> Pass Through Storage
<LI> Automatic Leveling Jacks
<LI> Flexsteel Ultra Leather Cab Seats
<LI> Three Decor Choices
<LI> Two Wood Choices Honey Cherry Wood or Honey Cherry with Washed maple Accents
<LI> Curved Cabinet Doors
<LI> 30" TV w/ Built In Entertainment Center
<LI> Side-Hinged Exterior Doors
<LI> Abundant Interior Storage

Curved overhead doors forward in the driver's station

There isn't a driver's door on these coaches which may be a disappointment to some. All the models are mid-entry. The driver's position on the UFO features the "new" 2007 IP which features 5 background colors to match your mood. Adjustable pedals and touch pad shifting are standard. The steering cut on the rig is 55 degrees which is better than any other gas rig.

In an official statement today which will soon come out in a more formal press release the Workhorse UFO and W-Series motorhomes will features the GM, 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. The transmission is already there as warranted by Allison.

Galley in 39W featuring a stainless cook top with top control. Notice the curved doors and rounded counter top. Stainless sink and high faucet.

I saw a motorhome today that has a 7 in the 10th position in the VIN# and it had the new cool pack without the auxiliary cooling fans and the new IP. So you can look for that ol' number 7 when you go shopping for your new motorhome and those features should be standard on Winnebago Industries motorhomes going forward.

I hope to download the pictures I shot and provide you folks with more information by Thursday or Friday. (check)

I will also be putting up additional materials and product information as soon as they become available.

Regards .. Live from Conway, SC.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
cwg
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information,Driver. Your post is very good and informative as to what Winnebago has on tap. They never seem to stand still and yet never get too radical, knowing where their market is.

Was there any talk of their going into the larger rigs based on the new tag axle from Freightliner? It is supposed to be able to handle a 500 hp engine, but many have speculated that Winnebago will avoid the higher end/higher priced coaches in favor of their mid market pricing.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by cwg:
Was there any talk of their going into the larger rigs based on the new tag axle from Freightliner?
WGO was previously positioned in a high-line coach using a Spartan chassis however that line was sunset.

I have not heard of any new intentions that WGO is wanting to build larger motorhomes other than the 40 footers using the Vectra and Horizon models on the Evolution Chassis.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #4

Really good write-up DriVer!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:05 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Looks like 2 beautiful coaches. Not to put a negative slant on the post BUT OK now for the other questions,,,have they improved on the 12 month warranty, have they improved on the roof seam, have they improved on the chronic heat pump problems, have they improved on the hot water heater ventilation problem, have they improved on the sidewall crack problem, have they improved on the silly day night shade problems, have they improved on the undercarriage rust problems, have they improved on the slideout water leak problems,,just to mention a few,,,what about the price also.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Driver, interesting information and photos and thanks for the review. I guess I'm too much of a traditional guy to appreciate the rounded cabinets...not a look I'd go for. The dual exhaust pipes on the Itasca are begging for some polished SS tips, as you said. Is that a true dual exhaust system or one muffler with dual pipes out (just thinking how it would sound with a Magnaflow or Borla exhaust system on it...sweeeet ). Also, you indicated both these coaches have FBP standard but it looks like there is unpainted white gelcoat surface on both. Is that white paint?

Also looks like they have done away with the Store More concept and are using side-hinged baggage doors....so guessing there is now true 'pass-thru' storage.

As noted by the previous post, a new design offers the opportunity to address weaknesses in previous designs. While WGO might not agree, the roof/sidewall seam is a weakness as is the F/R caps/covers attached with epoxy. Have they changed either of these?

Final comment....are these coaches intended to be budget priced? Genesis of this question is the appearance of the black painted mirrors...would think they would be chrome or painted to match some color on the rig.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

They have FBP (including the white) with vinyl graphics. As for pass though storage, it is there up over the frame rails. IMO they could have done better with the storage and had pass through above and below the rails. The Georgetown had this and looked like a great way to do it.
Yes it is true dual exhaust as well, and chrome tips would be a must add before it left the lot.
MSRP of the gas Latitude was about $167000.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by GG1:
Those questions are mostly outta my pay grade. Workhorse recently announced a 5yr/100K mile warrantry on the drivetrain. Re, the heat pump mine works fine. My HWH works fine now that I have a working board. The price is pretty good for this product consiering what you're getting. I posted here in the threads that the MSRP was about $166K and change.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
DriVer, in the galley photo it looks like the front of the stove stop has several membrane switches. Is the microwave located below in a pull out drawer?
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info, DriVer man. I'll start saving my pennies....

Rose
Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
It the microwave located below in a pull out drawer?
No it isn't actually it's located over head like they all are. This unit had a large single knob on the face that selects various functions by rotating the knob.

I'm sorry that I couldn't get at every little thing but we'll see if they bring one of these things to Tampa and then I'll go over it again.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The microwave shown in the Latitude is called the Half Time oven. Instead of having an overhead convection microwave, the oven portion of the unit is a combination of the 2 that is under the stove top and is 1 pc with the stove top. It is used in the 2007 Spirit and Outlook class 'c' units from Winnebago.
The cabinets above the stove are just that, cabinets.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by zertrider:
The cabinets above the stove are just that, cabinets.
I'm going to have to revisit that hardware option on those rigs. I did see those types of microwaves, perhaps they were on Adventurers and I got the two mixed up.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

What are those round indentations on the front cap next to the headlights for? It looks like they were gonna put something there and then changed their minds. I'm also suprised they didnt put an awning over the entry door. I suppose one would be available just like a front entrance pusher would have one.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by ISLAPP:
What are those round indentations on the front cap next to the headlights for?
Mike, Perhaps it's for some future lighting scheme that they might need next year. The recesses looks like something to me that will catch a lot of stuff while going down the road requiring a bit more attention from the owner to keep the them clean.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by zertrider:
The microwave shown in the Latitude is called the Half Time oven.
zertrider, Yes it is. I just found that out today from my resources. The range top is a triple burner unit and it features a combination convection microwave and that's going to be standard equipment. At this time there isn't any option for anything else on either the Latitude or the Destination ... BUT I'm thinking you knew that already.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

^^^^^^^^^^^^Yep^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-05-2006, 02:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Have been watching this chassis development for a long time. If I were to be interested in buying a new Class "A" today this model would certainly be very high in my interest.

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Sepisllib:
Thank you for joining us here on iRV2.com and please do come back to visit and please post often.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Fantastic chassis set up that appears to be a real winner, only wish it were available with that other gas engine as an option. Maybe this new Workhorse UFO chassis will stimulate Ford to build a rear pusher chassis with the v10 or PS diesel. Do you think there's a possiblity that with advent of the new UFO chassis, we may see the traditional puller chassis fade into history??

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote