Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago appears to have introduced a new 2008 Adventurer 39W coach built on the Workhorse 8.1L UFO chassis. Looks to have a similar front cap as the Tour, but with a mid-entry door. Floorplan also looks to be the same as the current Destination 39W. IMO, this is a big improvement over the design of their first UFO gas coach! Haven't been able to locate any info. from Winnebago on this new coach. Does anyone know if this coach was on display at THE RALLY 2008? More pics. available here and here .

Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by Explore America:
Floorplan also looks to be the same as the current Destination 39W.
Yeah, that's curious. Just some minor design changes - otherwise, looks the same but with the Adventurer name.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

That sure does look like a 39W to me. In the description is said 2008 Limited Edition SE. What that might also imply is that this is what the 2009 Adventurer is going to look like. in my opinion, the front fascia treatment is so much better looking than both the current Adventurer and the Destination.

I also like the Adventurer style cabinets, stove top and conventional upper oven/micro placement as well in this model. There's drawers under the stove top!

Could it be that the UFO chassis might be integrated into the Adventure/Suncruiser line in 2009 and will the Destination/Latitude line continue for those liking those interior appointments and features?

Perhaps our sponsor Lichtsinn Motors will share with us what's up at the BIG W!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I do like the front-end on it like DriVer stated. Cleaner, like the small round lights like the Tour has. Unfortunately it's not the model I like the best, T! I am not a fan of looking at my TV sideways as I am assuming the couch must be located behind the dinette.

I wonder what it is like driving a rear gasser? Definitely quieter but any other benefits???

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm guessing that another possibility is that Winnebago will offer a UFO GM8.1L gas chassis option only on the Adventurer, while continuing to build the Destination exclusively on the Freightliner chassis. In any case, I really do like this new design.

It'll also be interesting to see if Winnebago does build a smaller coach on the lighter 22K UFO chassis as WCC hinted at THE RALLY 2008!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle241:
I do like the front-end on it like DriVer stated. Cleaner, like the small round lights like the Tour has. Unfortunately it's not the model I like the best, T! I am not a fan of looking at my TV sideways as I am assuming the couch must be located behind the dinette.

I wonder what it is like driving a rear gasser? Definitely quieter but any other benefits???

Kyle
So many more benefits, there's no comparison to other gas chassis. Better handling and driveability. Heftier DP quality chassis. 55 degree wheel cut. 100 gallon fuel tank. Virtually no lean due to the Torque Box. Superior cooling(Cool Pack). Superior braking system. Allison touchpad standard. Adjustable pedals. No dog house. Flat floor throughout, no typical DP engine hump in rear bedroom. Capable of flat floor pass through basement storage. It goes on, and on.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
So many more benefits, there's no comparison to other gas chassis. Better handling and driveability. Heftier DP quality chassis. 55 degree wheel cut. 100 gallon fuel tank. Virtually no lean due to the Torque Box. Superior cooling(Cool Pack). Superior braking system. Allison touchpad standard. Adjustable pedals. No dog house. Flat floor throughout, no typical DP engine hump in rear bedroom. Capable of flat floor pass through basement storage. It goes on, and on.
Hmmm..... He's been reading DriVer's notebook.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
Hmmm..... He's been reading DriVer's notebook.
Hi Frank. Actually, I've test driven several UFO based coaches, and was among the first to drive the debut production Forest River Georgetown 359 UFO back in 2006. Yup, I was one of those persons videotaped by Workhorse during and after the test drive. I've also had ongoing conversations with WCC on the progress of the UFO over the years, both from their factory reps. and VP's. Anything I've posted specifically about the UFO chassis comes directly from the horse's mouth! If you'll excuse the expression!

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">....</span>
Old 04-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I agree completely with Explore America. Our previous Coach was built on the W24 chassis with 8.1V engine and 6 speed Allison. The UFO ride, handling, steering, braking and noise levels are all so superior you have to drive it to believe it. You also get the benefit of some pass thru storage.

The interior of our Destination has some storage issues that need to be corrected (lack of shelves in the cabinets and the need for more drawers in the bedroom) but overall we are very happy UFO owners.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

ExAm & Wayne,
I understand your views, and why.

We have looked the UFO over and generally, like what Winnie has done with it. It would be neat if the DP were left to the Dest./Lat. lines and the Adv./Suncr. had the GP UFO. Have not driven one yet, but would like to. DriVer's just got to do a little more "arm twisting."

One iten I don't like is the front TV on the forward-facing wall. When the slide is in you can no-lookee at TV. There have been occasions we've been buttoned up for an aproaching storm and watching the weather news. Yeah, I know, just watch the BR TV. Minor details.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Interesting. Any idea of the CCC on these two coaches? Any floorplan diagrams available?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I do not remember seeing this coach at THE RALLY in Perry.

It is certainly something I would have remembered.

Knowing the CCC would be nice

Put the new WD floor plan and you have a winner
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I only wish there was a Winnie/Itasca dealer close by that actually carried several models of class A's. The local one only carries the Voyage and I have seen only 1 Adventurer there in 2yrs. Hopefully I'll get the time to see one in our May travels back North.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

One has to wonder as to if or when Ford will build a rear gas pusher chassis?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Okay - the old guy is missing something. If the diesel boys are transitioning somewhat and trying front end pullers, why are the gas boys trying go with a gas pusher - confusing at best???
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by codgerbill:
One has to wonder as to if or when Ford will build a rear gas pusher chassis?
Codgerbill, I believe that Ford (financially) is challenged enough right now building cars never mind spending large quantities of dollars (which they don't have I believe) for R&D on a new platform UNLESS they go the copycat road like they've done pretty much all along with their current HD rail.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Yup, I was one of those persons videotaped by Workhorse during and after the test drive.
.... and the other iRV2.com member is "Flytyer". I sat in the Workhorse display with "Ted" on a looped video tape for hours on end.

You were probably on that tape as well but I don't believe that we have met.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Heart:
Okay - the old guy is missing something. If the diesel boys are transitioning somewhat and trying front end pullers, why are the gas boys trying go with a gas pusher - confusing at best???
Rocket Heart, Workhorse did a lot of research on this including polls and other data gathering before they committing a single dollar toward R&D and not surprisingly just about 70% of those persons polled favor a rear engine driven RV.

Winnebago Industries helped developed the UFO with Workhorse in the early development stages and having a "less expensive" rear engine option made sense to WGO. The newest UFO rail is a 22K GVW variant and I hope perhaps to see these under smaller boxes perhaps 33s to 35s. Now that would be nice I bet.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by depchief:
I do not remember seeing this coach at THE RALLY in Perry.

It is certainly something I would have remembered.

Knowing the CCC would be nice

Put the new WD floor plan and you have a winner
I didn't get the opportunity to swing over to Winnebago's display at THE RALLY. Would have hated to miss seeing this coach.

As I recall, all of the UFO based coaches I've seen so far have had CCC's in the 3,500lbs.+ range.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Explore America:
Yup, I was one of those persons videotaped by Workhorse during and after the test drive.
.... and the other iRV2.com member is "Flytyer". I sat in the Workhorse display with "Ted" on a looped video tape for hours on end.

You were probably on that tape as well but I don't believe that we have met. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never saw the video, so don't know if I made the final cut.