Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've been considering trading up from our 5th wheel to a Winnebago/Itasca MH. Most of my research has been in the $100k range, like the Sightseer 34M, or Voyage/Sunrise 33V. La Mesa RV in Tucson has a deal on a 2008 Itasca Latitude on the Freightliner chassis at about $120,000 after discounts and rebates. That's about 39% off MSRP, which seems like an exceptional deal (which is what I am looking for). While there are a few features lacking in this floorplan, like a desk for me and adaquate kitchen counter space for the Mrs, and a booth dinette, the unit has real possibilites for us. Since we are still working, we will not be able to do any extensive traveling for some time.

Maybe 2000 - 5000 miles per year. Is this a waste of a good diesel MH for our limited use?

What kind of milage can I expect? Would the milage be about the same as a smaller MH on a Ford F53 chassis, or would the diesel yeild better milage?

At this point, I can get into the Latitude for about $15K more than a smaller gasser.

Need advice. Thanks.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've been considering trading up from our 5th wheel to a Winnebago/Itasca MH. Most of my research has been in the $100k range, like the Sightseer 34M, or Voyage/Sunrise 33V. La Mesa RV in Tucson has a deal on a 2008 Itasca Latitude on the Freightliner chassis at about $120,000 after discounts and rebates. That's about 39% off MSRP, which seems like an exceptional deal (which is what I am looking for). While there are a few features lacking in this floorplan, like a desk for me and adaquate kitchen counter space for the Mrs, and a booth dinette, the unit has real possibilites for us. Since we are still working, we will not be able to do any extensive traveling for some time.

Maybe 2000 - 5000 miles per year. Is this a waste of a good diesel MH for our limited use?

What kind of milage can I expect? Would the milage be about the same as a smaller MH on a Ford F53 chassis, or would the diesel yeild better milage?

At this point, I can get into the Latitude for about $15K more than a smaller gasser.

Need advice. Thanks.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

HI Ken,

I do not own this motorhome but I am going to throw in my 2 cents. I had the small block Cummins in a Fleetwood Discovery several years ago and I liked the engine and was getting between 10 and 11 MPG. I bet you would get at least 9+ with the diesel and around 6-7 with the gas. You may be a little under powered--but not much. I think the fuel savings would be a good trade off. You are going to get a lot of information and advice for both the gas and diesel especially with the higher cost of diesel fuel and maintenance costs. The mileage you are going to put on doesn't warrant a diesel--BUT, it sure provides a better ride and more power. Tradeoffs! The other question is; when would you be doing more extensive traveling--would you still use this motorhome? If so--go diesel.

Because of the times--you should be able to almost steal a RV. Your deal does sound good. Whatever you decide--good luck and have fun!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We are about 36,500 pounds GCVW (coach+toad) and average about 7.8 mpg with the Cummins ISL and our usual freeway speed is 65 (until this year!)

I don't see the cost of diesel coming down ($350 yesterday for 72 gallons) so you might want to consider a gasser. Work the numbers and do what makes financial sense.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:01 AM   #5

This is really a personal decision, but there are posts that say if you drive less than 6K/year, go with gas, and if you drive 12K/year, go with diesel. We get 7.4 mpg towing our toad with our gas unit, and other gas units will be very similar.

My wife and I both work full time and have some time during the Summer, and that is when we are able to take some trips.....the rest of the year, the motorhome is covered in snow.

The decision was easy for us....gas all the way.

One more thing....the amentity lines between gas units and diesel units have blurred during the last several years.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ken, as John says run the numbers and make your decision based upon the financial facts.

Don't forget that a diesel is much more costly to maintain and diesel fuel will most likely remain higher than gasoline. I would not count on getting more than 7.5-8 mpg with a diesel. I'm sure that there are some that get more but my experience is similar to John's with the mileage. There are many, many factors that govern fuel economy (or lack of it) most of which are beyond your control (headwind, tailwind, cross section of front cap and wind resistance, etc). Weight, tire pressure and speed are about the only factors that you can control (assuming that the engine is tuned and running properly).

Having pointed out the above and having been the owner operator of several gas and a current diesel MH I must say that performance and comfort are in favor of the diesel. Unless market conditions change drastically over the next five years I am now in my last MH and glad that I am in a diesel.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Lot's of good points in this thread. Bottom line is these days nothing about owning a motorhome makes any financial sense. I will offer my opinion as someone who still works, travels approx. 5 - 6K miles annually, and has owned both gas and diesel motorhomes.

At the price you are talking, I'd lean toward the diesel. You will get a better ride, handling, cargo capacity, exhaust brake. Certainly the low miles you expect to travel while you are still working don't necessarily justify a diesel, but if you think you will keep the rig until you can travel more, you will not regret getting the diesel.

Like Chief, we had ideas of getting a newer rig sometime in the near future. The current economic times have dashed that idea and our plan is to keep the coach we have, maintain and upgrade, and drive it until it drops. I have never regretted getting the DP.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ken
I am on the second year of ownership of my first diesel after owning several gas rigs. Can I justify the additional cost? Only one way POWER!!! Climb a mountain with both types, drive a winding road and then pick the one you enjoy driving the most. I never actually looked forward to driving my rig until I got the diesel, but that is just me. Whichever one you chose, HAPPY MOTORING!

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
2 cents worth.
I dunno if I would buy a new motorhome. There are soooo many deals out there on some very good used motorhomes. Some advantages are
1. You get more for your money
2. You would usually be buying a unit that has been de-bugged.
If you find a good used one with a floor plan you like you can hire an inspector to go over the coach and give a list of anything that mite need attention.
I bought my coach used . It is on a ford F53 chasis and I average about 7.5 mpg pulling a 4100# Jeep.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote