Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Country Coach for starters.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Undoubtedly the dropped it because it didn't sell.

One issue that surfaces with very short diesel pushers is driveability and stability. A rear engined coach needs a given amount of room in the back for the engine, transmission, a short driveshaft, and eventually the rear axle. This fixed length needs to be offset with some part of the coach forward of the rear axle. If it's perfectly balanced it's a teeter totter and you do wheelies when you hit the foot feed and slam the nose back down when you hit the brakes. Okaty, so maybe that is an extreme example but it does serve to illustrate the issues that affect 32' DPs. You may wind up with a 190" wheelbase on that coach and you'll find that there is very little weight on the front axle and it darts around all over the road. Granted, this is a generalization and there's always exceptions in a few coaches but the vast majority of short DPs just aren't pursued because the ride of a longer wheelbase coach is much more desireable by those looking to buy a DP. That's one of the reasons why the FRED chassis is fairly popular in the shorter wheelbase coaches. You get the benefits of a DP with a shorter chassis and cheaper price tag. It's not at the same level of a DP, but then it's not priced in that league either.

Above is a reply posted by Cruzer in a thread named 2008 Review. Cruzer is very knowledgeable and it makes sense to me. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Well, this is the longest DP I've driven so I can't much comment, but I have no issues whatsoever with wander, proposing, wind, towing, or any of the other purported short wheelbase issues that the "nothin' but 40'" crowd harps on (not pointing at you Ichn. But I hear this non-stop in other forums).

Personally I think it points back to the skill and comfort of the driver. Even Blue Bird made, or may continue to make a 34' bus. Our market, as far as chassis is completely driven by the commercial guys and what they're buying (until you get into the custom chassis, then it just gets expensive for a short coach), hence the demise of the 32T. There was no call for a 32' HD DP chassis when a FRED would "do".

Either way, it looks like Winne/ Itasca is trying to get into another class of DP. It'll be interesting to see how these are really equipped. If an SE is now running @ $215k, a "loaded" one should fall in around 250k. And where do the 2 older brothers of this line now stand?

Just makes my resale better..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Since practically everything anyone talks about or owns seems to be 38-40 feet long, guess Winnebago figured to get in on the band wagon. But 36 was the longest we wanted in 2004 and will be when we replace it in a couple years, Good chance it won't be a Winnebago it looks like.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Undoubtedly the dropped it because it didn't sell.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. There are plenty of 32' 34' and 36' rigs all over the place. The speculation that the ride quality of the 32' was inferior is bunk. Ever drive one?? I have, 13,000 miles last year over all kinds of roads and wether conditions. With and without a toad. It does not porpoise, roll in high winds or wander. As a matter of fact when I hear others with their 38' and 40'+ rigs moaning about how tough it is to handle in high winds and rough roads makes me smile. Then they start throwing parts and money at it to try to improve the ride.

I am running a little over 8K on the front axle and 14K on the rear. The coach drives like it's glued to the road. No new shocks, no steering stablizers, no new front and rear track bars. The closest I come to a rough ride is when the air bags bounce me some on a chopped up Interstate 5 freeway.

The notion that a 32' chassis is somehow not up to par is a falacy. At least in a well made and designed coach. There may some cut rate manufactures out there that skimp on every item possible, but the Itasca is solid. Some other manufactures also make a solid 32'-33' coach.

I tend to agree with Jeff on the real reason the shorter coaches were axed. On my 32' Itasca I have nearly every wistle and bell that was available in that model year. Yet the price point was WAY less than it's longer brothers. You make a bigger coach, add some more trinkets and furniture and you can charge 30%-50% more for not much more effort. Same systems, same electrical, same plumbing. I believe it came down to dollars and cents.

All Winnie really did was manage to run off a entire segment of their clientele betting that "bigger is better". Not in my book.

Just my .02

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I agree with you Sarge, Winnie will not have a shorter wheel base market...Cruzer did not say however that ALL shorter wheel based coaches rode bad just that a lot of them had troubles.
I know my dealer had a 96 ,34 meridian on his lot forever. The sales people said when it first came in that it would be hard to move. When I had my 39QD a friend that had a 36DL went on a trip with me and said mine drove better than his..

You darn right money talks in todays world. There are many vehicles that have been phased out because of Low not No sales. Where is our beautiful Oldsmobile..Just didn't fit in.

In no way am I defending Winnie for not making a shorter wheel base, but I do understand ,,ride and economics. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

These types of decisions are market dept driven. Bigger is higher profits, lots of room for price increases. It is usually a dead end street, and the company can't lose. If the scheme doesn't work, the company will reintroduce the original line with new names and start all over. In the mean time those of us who want a particular size coach will have to buy from some one who makes it. Been there done that.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

I thing SargeW voiced the issues very well. Short DP coaches are very driveable and desirable. I think Winnie has made a big mistake by eliminating them from their lineup at a reasonable price point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Just want to say that I to feel Winny has made a very big mistake in dropping 34 and 36 foot Journeys. I believe there will always be a large number of us who prefer that size coach.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Since Winnebago sees these comments, I'll throw in by opinion as well.

I have an '01 32T and love it and was disappointed when this model was discontinued. Now with the smallest DP at 37' and the Tour and Vectra at 40' I'm left with little choice but to look at other manufacturers when I decide to get a new one.

I hope they see their mistake by next year.

Nick
Old 11-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I wanted to continue this thread concerning the new Journey/Meridian models.

Unlike some of the others my wife and I liked the layout of the 37ft Meridian as well as the new cabinetry. We were seriously thinking of trading our 2000 Ultimate Advantage 36' for one. But, we tow our race car with our MH and need good hp and torque. Our Advantage has 300hp and 860tq. Winnebago's broucher only stated that the Meridian comes with a Cummins ISB 6.7L 350hp engine. I emailed Winnebago to inquire about the torque figure, 660tq. That is quite a step down from what I have now. There is noway I'm buying a MH with less engine than I have now.

It looks like I'll be looking for another coach manufaturer.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Garbageman I very much agree with you. I think it will be worth looking at Phaeton-Tiffin Kountry Star - Newmar Knight - Monaco
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
becks, those are the three MH's on my short list.

Monaco Knight 38ft, Cummins ISC 360hp & 1050tq
Tiffin Phaeton 36ft, Cummins ISC 360hp & 1050tq
Newmar Kountry Star 36ft, Cummins ISC 360hp & 1050tq

I am so disappointed that Winnie won't use the Cummins ISC.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote