Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

This past weekend we were looking at a 2008 Journey 39Z as we are looking to upgrade to get ready for retirement. These are a few of my observations and possible show stoppers but I will have to think on it for a while.

1) I noticed that the engine and house batteries were in a compartment with very limited access. I was under the impression that a rig like this had the batteries on a slide tray that could be pulled out for access. Sale person just said cost reductions.

2) The generator was in the middle of the coach (side to side) and behind the front cap.
It appeared to be bolted in and I could not understand how to access it for servicing.
The salesman didn't know how to get to it either.
I was under the impression that this was also on a slide tray.

3) The brochure states that the gray tank is 72 gallons but I soon discovered that there are two gray tanks. There are two valves for the gray and one for the black tank.
The sales person didn't know if they were connected together or not.
I ˜m not sure whether I like this.

4) On previous models I believe that the floor area for the passenger side was an automatic step cover. This one was a folded piece that had to be manually put in place.
This is difficult for a handicapped person.

5) They no longer are using HWH products. The jacks and slide mechanisms were by Power Gear. Don't know if this is good or bad.

6) The air horns are no longer on the top of the rig. They are now behind the front cap and under the driver's seat. Don't' think that this is a big deal but just an observation.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This past weekend we were looking at a 2008 Journey 39Z as we are looking to upgrade to get ready for retirement. These are a few of my observations and possible show stoppers but I will have to think on it for a while.

1) I noticed that the engine and house batteries were in a compartment with very limited access. I was under the impression that a rig like this had the batteries on a slide tray that could be pulled out for access. Sale person just said cost reductions.

2) The generator was in the middle of the coach (side to side) and behind the front cap.
It appeared to be bolted in and I could not understand how to access it for servicing.
The salesman didn't know how to get to it either.
I was under the impression that this was also on a slide tray.

3) The brochure states that the gray tank is 72 gallons but I soon discovered that there are two gray tanks. There are two valves for the gray and one for the black tank.
The sales person didn't know if they were connected together or not.
I ˜m not sure whether I like this.

4) On previous models I believe that the floor area for the passenger side was an automatic step cover. This one was a folded piece that had to be manually put in place.
This is difficult for a handicapped person.

5) They no longer are using HWH products. The jacks and slide mechanisms were by Power Gear. Don't know if this is good or bad.

6) The air horns are no longer on the top of the rig. They are now behind the front cap and under the driver's seat. Don't' think that this is a big deal but just an observation.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

1. Our 2003 Journey has battery slide tray. I guess Winnebago is cutting costs.
2. Same generator location on ours. Normal service (oil, fuel and air filters) can be serviced with no problem. Our generator had to be removed from the coach recently to replace the electronics. The service tech said even most of the Gen. slideout units have to be removed to perform that job.
3. Ours have one grey tank so can't comment on that one.
4. Ours is pushbutton (elec.) controlled.
5. We have HWH. Their customer service is second to none. To bad Winne changed vendors. Another cost cutting issue? Have heard some negative comments about Power Gear but have no experience with them.
We really like our Journey. I can't say we would buy another one, we just don't like the new style, inside or out. Just our opinion.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

i can only tell you about our journey 36 2006,1. batts do have a slide tray but the house batts (3) the rear one is still hard to get to. 2. generator is serviced from the bottom,very easy, but it will have to be removed if the cover has to come off. 3. our gray tank is in the 45 gallon range so if the 08 is 72 gall, it wouldn't matter to me how many handles it has, 4. ours does have a auto cover, very nice. sounds like trying to save money! 5. any thing you read here HWH product has the best customer service in the industry. 6.dosn't matter to me as long as it has them. Don
Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Glad I got my '07 when I did ... has the battery slide out tray, power step cover, air horns on the roof. Gray tank (1) is 54 gal (?). Bigger would be nicer, but we manage. HWH jacks.

Generator is mounted front center, no joey bed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We just went to the big SoCal RV show. There was one big improvement I noticed in the '08 DP. Winnebago got it right with a DP front door that is 2 1/2" thick and has a nice folding hinge at the top that limits the door opening. This is the same style hinge as the Newmar and Monaco DPs. My series of manufacturing years, the entry doors are 1 3/4" with no true limiting hinge that will keep the door from being sprung open against the coach if caught by a gust of wind. This is a concern by many.

If anyone comes up with a hinge idea how to secure this door I'll buy one. Right now my suction cup gismo is working.

The salesman said that no sliding step well cover will probably be changed soon. Too many people have commented on it.

At the end of the day we are very happy with our '04 Meridian 34H. Like Pusherman said, "We manage."
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Had HWH on '93 Bounder, Power Gear on '97 Southwind, and now have HWH on 2004 Meridian. Several problems with Power Gear, none with HWH that weren't handled immediately. Never would buy a coach without HWH again.
Wagonnaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote