Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

The 2008 Itasca Latitude is built on the UFO chassis.

I thought it was supposed to be offered with either the gas UFO or diesel UFO engine option. I now see the 2008 Itasca Latitude is being offered on the Freightliner XC Rear-Engine chassis rather than the UFO with diesel engine.

Has the Universal Fuel Option diesel engine been dropped from the UFO???

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The 2008 Itasca Latitude is built on the UFO chassis.

I thought it was supposed to be offered with either the gas UFO or diesel UFO engine option. I now see the 2008 Itasca Latitude is being offered on the Freightliner XC Rear-Engine chassis rather than the UFO with diesel engine.

Has the Universal Fuel Option diesel engine been dropped from the UFO???

-Tom
Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

G'day Tom,

I believe that I read somewhere that Winne had an agreement with Freightliner to be their exclusive supplier of Class A diesel chassis. Don't know for how long but the way I read it this agreement was done some time prior to WH introducing the UFO chassis.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I thought it was supposed to be offered with either the gas UFO or diesel UFO engine option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, Your observations are accurate. WGO has an exclusive agreement with FLCC in that they provide "all" the diesel equipment.

The UFO is provided with the 8.1L Vortec gasoline engine. I took a test drive in the Latitude in Perry and I was amazed as to how quiet this coach was. The wind noise around the wind screen and sides was quite subdued.

Performance was excellent for a 39 footer and both my wife and I are impressed with the Latitude. Colleen remarked how much the latitude is growing on her.

Both the pilot and co-pilot's seats are embroidered "Latitude" in the seat back. Subtle but a nice touch. The seats were a dark tan ultraleather.

The departure procedure for the new UFO is as follows - "when" you go for a test drive.

Take the seat adjust mirrors and steering wheel - buckle up. Place you foot and press on the brake pedal. Select the "D" in the push button shifter and you will feel a slight jump into gear. Let off the brake and drive away.

To park the UFO, apply the foot brake, and select "P" in the push button shifter. Walk away from the driver's station. It's really simple and it works.

Gone are the days of electric over hydraulic systems like the J71 and J72. The UFO has a hydraulic over hydraulic system just like an air brake system but using fluids.

The Yellow e-brake button as far as I know is simply a legacy device and I don't recall pushing or pulling the button in routine operation.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I am here at Lazy Days in Florida. There is a Latitude here. If I can help with any info please let me know. We will be leaving Tuesday afternoon or wednesday am.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
I am here at Lazy Days in Florida. There is a Latitude here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, Your better look again, I bet it's not going to be there very long!

Winnebago is a week ahead of the curve looks like since they said they would be delivering retail units in April.

Quite possibly it's one of the units from the FMCA Show in Perry, GA. While in Perry I understand that a family was closing on a a new UFO.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Has Winny come out with a brochure for the UFO floorplans offered?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

2 floorplans, 37 & 39, both 2 slides. What?? NO front entry door?? Where is the 4 slide floorplan???

2008 Itasca Latitiude floorplans.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
What?? NO front entry door?? Where is the 4 slide floorplan??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was told that a front door was never in their forecasts on the UFO platforms. Mid doors are the people's choice if given a choice.

Four slideouts? I think WGO has that covered in the 39 foot model with that extremely long curb side slideout. More is not always better.

My only add-on to this thread regarding doors is noting the absence of a driver's side door! I have gotten used to the fact that my coach has a driver's side door.... and I like it!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

DriVer...we've gotten used to the driver's door too. But without it, racket levels would be 'way down. Almost to the point where you might actually HEAR something being said! (Spoken like a true co-pilot!)

Sure wish one of those UFO's would show up around here!

Rose
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Four slideouts? I think WGO has that covered in the 39 foot model with that extremely long curb side slideout. More is not always better.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More is not better is true, but more width in the living room is better than more width in the kitchen. IMHO.

More width is better in the bedroom than more width in the kitchen. IMHO.

Move the mid-side entry door to the front and there would be lots of room for a second full width sleeper couch. My next coach will have opposing couches.

-Tom
headed back to PA Friday