Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2008 Itasca Ellipse 40WD newbie question

Is it normal for a coach of this caliber to rattle and bang going down the road? I know the roads in California are terrible, but the noise is unbelievable. Rattles and squeaks all over the place. I purchased last month with 9400 miles on it, and it has been garaged since new. It's in fantastic condition, but to me feels like a clunker.

It's my first motorhome, and I would be agry if I had paid what the original owner paid for it (I was told around $300k+). I love it when parked, not so much when getting where we're going. Is this normal?

Other than chasing rattles while someone is driving, are there any options?
JCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

1st make sure all 4 air bags are filled. Check visually. It could be a bad ride height valve or the existing ride height valves are not adjusted properly.

Good luck.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Also check your tire inflations. Get your 4-corner weights and use the tire manufacturer inflation tables to make sure you are not over-inflated, which can lead to a bouncy hard ride. Some small amount of squeezes and noise is expected, like silverware in the drawers, but not as much as you describe.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Also look at the stuff you have inside the coach, how are you storing the metal pots and pans, what do you have in the cabinets that can make noise etc? A lot of this noise comes from self inducted loading of the coach. Also bear in mind that what you have is basically a truck chassis with a house set on top of it, so yes there will be a certain amount of road noise transmitted to inside the coach. Should that noise prevent normal conversation while driving down the road, no.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
1st make sure all 4 air bags are filled. Check visually. It could be a bad ride height valve or the existing ride height valves are not adjusted properly.

Good luck.
It rides ok, but maybe a bit nose-high. Seems like it has a TON of suspension travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Also check your tire inflations. Get your 4-corner weights and use the tire manufacturer inflation tables to make sure you are not over-inflated, which can lead to a bouncy hard ride. Some small amount of squeezes and noise is expected, like silverware in the drawers, but not as much as you describe.
Did that today along with installing Centramatic balancers. Tires were at 135 psi or something. The tire shop dropped it to 110 and it was much nicer. Plus, the balancers did a ton to smooth the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Also look at the stuff you have inside the coach, how are you storing the metal pots and pans, what do you have in the cabinets that can make noise etc? A lot of this noise comes from self inducted loading of the coach. Also bear in mind that what you have is basically a truck chassis with a house set on top of it, so yes there will be a certain amount of road noise transmitted to inside the coach. Should that noise prevent normal conversation while driving down the road, no.
When the coach was empty it made the same amount of noise as loaded. In fact, it may have been a bit more quiet when loaded down with our belongings. I'm sure it'll take a few trips to figure things out...
Old 04-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Glad you are getting things worked out.

Your tire pressure was way too high at the 130s. Even 110 might be too much. Didn't you have a sheet/label/sticker from Winnebago with recommended tire pressures? If you can't get 4-corner weight I'd at least look for that sticker. I'm away from my RV now, but in mine it was either a plate on the side wall to the left of the driver seat near the floor or in on a paper stuck inside one of my bedroom closets.

Just as a point of reference, I too have a 40' DP (2004 Vectra) and the Winnebago recommendation was 100 on the front and 90 on the rear.

You will actually ride a bit better once you get your stuff loaded and some water/propane/diesel in the tanks. The extra weight (assuming you aren't overloaded) settles things down a bit.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You might consider replacing the shocks with Koni FSD. They are designed with "frequency selective damping" that gives a much softer ride on the small bumps and expansion joints but yet firm on the side-to-side sway from driveways and wind blasts.

I've had mine for 10 yrs and feel like they have paid for themselves by reducing the wear & tear of a harsher ride of standard shocks.

I believe if you buy a set from Brazel's or Redlands RTS they offer a money back satisfaction guarantee if not totally happy with the ride and handling.

Also, being a new 1st time owner, you'll want to spend a whole lot of time on this forum and the Freightliner group. There is one heck of a lot of experience and knowledge here on the iRV2 forum.

Good luck and enjoy,
Bill
Old 04-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had an 08 Tour and how in the world did the tires get inflated to 135psi.

I think we had 108psi front tires, don't remember the rear psi's.

Consider yourself lucky you went to a good tire shop, price immaterial!! Listen to Duner, he's da man.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

A few things to watch for on your 08 Ellipse,
Clear coat flaking off on the front roof cap also along the roof curve from front to rear.
All surfaces facing up may loose their color and deteriorate .
Rust on the black inner door panels of the storage compartment doors.
Rear grill door adhesive going bad causing it to fall off.
Entry door and patio awning motor goes bad.
Automatic satelite malfunctions.
Front windshield water leaks due to rust where its mounted.
Interior ceiling headliner falls due to poor adhesive.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out. Fortunately the previous owner had it garaged, and it only had 9400 miles when I bought it. So far the paint seems to be in decent shape.

I have no idea how satellite functions, there are no receivers. I heard it trying to locate a satellite a few times, but I have no idea what caused it. I'll have to do some more research and figure that out. Also I need to figure out how to have power on the overhead TV while running so kids can watch while driving.

I have to say the people on this forum are great! Best most informative forum I frequent, and I've been on a lot. Right up there with TurboDieselRegister back in the day...
Old 07-26-2016, 01:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

On our 2008 Itaska Ellipse 40TD the tire info is to left of drivers seat. It calls for front tires at 110 and rear duals at 95. I personally don't like 110 and run at 100 all the way around. As Les Schwab says this is a sweet spot. I did weigh the coach and we are fine at that pressure.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, newbie