Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2008 Destination Purchase ??

Am looking real hard at buying 2008 Destination 39W DP.

Need info on what problem areas to look for. Found a plastic container with what looked like a nipple for a drain hose in a upper bedroom storage compartment , sales guy had know idea what it was for or where it came from. Any thoughts on the container/cup as to where it goes?

I've read some of the basement a/c issues but would like to hear how prevalent the problem is. Has it reached into this year? Is some of it caused by lack of maintenance or is it the nature of the beast. Should it be a deal killer?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The only plastic in the upper bedroom storage unit should be the cover for the Slide Lock. If you look on the outside of the coach you will see a nipple on the upper side wall where the inside slide lock mechanism is. This is a drain for any moisture that should get into the slide lock area. Once in a while clean it with a paper cllip or pipe cleaner from the outside.

The slide locks are activated with a rocker switch on the bedroom/hall wall, and one on the control panel just outside the bathroom door. There has been a reported problem with the slide lock, and I had the problem in mine. There is a field modification that the dealer should be aware of, or can get from the manufacturer of the slide lock (Kwikee). It requires a modification to the bolt, and a shim installed to keep the motor from twisting.

The slide motors are electric. I have had major problems with mine, but hopefully all is fixed now - but after much frustration. When you bring in the 23 foot slide, or the 12+ foot slide, watch the carpet line very closely to ensure that the slide is moving in smoothly at both ends at the same time. If they get out of sync is when major problems can develop. If you notice one end of the slide getting ahead of the other, use the manual override to bring the slide in. That should put them back in sync. If not, have it looked at. Should there not be a present modification on the slide lock systems, and you push the button to retract or extend the slide and nothing happens, the slide lock is most likely going to be the problem. Remove that plastic housing (Two on the big slide) take a pair of pliers and put it on the shaft at the back of the slide lock motor and jiggle it while someone pushes the slide lock button to either unlock or lock, whichever you are doing. Never move an opposite end of the slide more than 2 inches than the other end. (Been there done all this.)

Under the king size bed there is an aluminum rail. The original rail was about 1 inch. There is a kit modification for that system that includes not roller pads, and an increase in the rail to 2 or more inches. If the slide gets out of sync it can slip off the 1 inch rail and pull the rails the bed rides on out of the floor. When looking under the bed, look at where the sink drain hose is anchored. If it is to the metal bed rail system, remove it and use a wood screw and mount it to the floor. Mine was anchored to the rail system and was pulled out of the holding tank when it was ripped from the floor.

I'm presently having a problem with my leveling system. When I retract the jacks down alarm and light stay on (think ding, ding, ding, ding) while going down the highway. At present they will turn off after about 80-100 miles. I have selective hearing, but it drives DW up the windshield. If this should happen to any other destination owner, pull out the 4 screws holding the touch pad in place and remove the 4 pin jumper from the back of the panel. This will stop the dinging. You will have to put the jumper back in at the next stop to put the jacks down. I think I have narrowed the problem down to a "reed switch," and most likely on the left rear jack. I'm testing now.

If you have a specific question on this model, holler. I have owned mine since Aug '08.

Edited: p.s., if you decide to purchase this MH, and have the OEM television (30 inch) still in it, give a holler. I put in a 36" in its place. Somewhere on this forum are pictures of the mods.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've had good luck with Surge Guard to protect the electrical system on my C. What is your reccomendation should I end up buying this coach?

tia
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tia,

Recommending something as important as a purchase of this high dollar is not something I would prefer to do. Research needs to be done and a decision based on that research. If you can found out who the last owner was you may be able to speak to them and look at their maintenance and repair record. If you are buying directly from the owner, this may not be a problem. If it is a dealer they may not want to give you the information for fear of privacy issues, so ask the dealer to contact the original owner and ask them if they would call you.

All I can do is relate some problems we have had. I have talked with other Destination owners I ran into on the road and they did not have the problems I did. Do I have a "lemon?" DW seems to think so. It has had its share of problems, and in all cases except the present "jacks down" alarm, they have been fixed. It is just frustrating to spend so much money on an item to find out that quality control by the manufacturer could be better. However, in perspective, if you read other threads by owners of other manufacturers you will find that they also have their problem.

I forgot to mention the basement AC. I'm knocking on wood, but in the three years of ownership I have not had one problem with the basement AC. I'm very happy about that.

I also use a surge protector, the Progressive Industries PT-50C. I don't leave home without it.

After thought: There are some compartments that need to be looked at for rust. Open up the front two compartments and check around for rust. Check the battery compartment, and the electrical compartment. Most likely you will see some surface rust where the paint did not stick. Winnebago paint contractor did not do the best of an undercarriage paint job. Speaking of under carriage, take a look, especially where the compartments attach to the frame. Again, you may see some surface rust. Rust is something that we just have to attack as it rears it's ugly head.

Ask about the windshield. Winnebago has had some problems with rust around the windshield and leaks can develop. That plastic strip you see on the outside is not a "seal," but a cosmetic piece. It keeps some elements out, but it is not a tight seal. You may be able to look under it with a flash light and see any problems. The way I caught it was water running down the inside of the windshield when it rained. Fortunately I was under warranty. That is something else to consider, an extended warranty.

If the Destination you are looking at has a washer/dryer combo, you may want to pull it out and look at the configuration of the drain system. On mine, the entire drain system was just hanging their with the only support being where it entered the drain at floor level. And then it was not cemented in.

This particular floor plan is not conducive to parking in a Wall-Mart parking lot. The television is blocked by the living room slide when it is retracted. There is no way to get into the pantry with the kitchen/bedroom slide in. However, with FHU we really like the floor plan

All I can do is point out some of the problems we encountered. Not every Winnebago Destination owner will have the same problems, but if they do I would hope they would speak up here.

Good luck with your investment.

p.s., What is the mileage on the one you are looking at. I have a little over 30,000 miles on mine. As you most likely know. It is a house that is in a constant rolling earthquake.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The unit is a consignment. It has 10K on it, so some of the problems that are encountered in a new model may or may not have occurred or been addressed. So I have only the word of the dealer regarding the owner, who appears to be extremely difficult to deal with.

The mileage or lack of on a coach that old gives me some cause for concern. Doubtful I will receive a accurate accounting what if any maintenance has been performed. Figure I will have to start at one end and do it all to establish a baseline.

Roy
Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well, on the good side you have not met the Freightliner 15000 mile recommend check up and maintenance. Will the dealer make any concessions and do a fluid change for you?

I have seen many units on PPL of Houston that are on consignment and have very low mileage. Many folks jump into an RV when they are still working and then realize they don't have a lot of time to spend in the RV, just an occasional weekend or two per month. A limited two week vacation even shortens the driving range they can get into. So low mileage depends on a lot of incidentals.

The particular Blue Book on that year and model is around $125,000. If it is listed for any more than that they are asking to much. If it is considerably less then it may be a good deal - but what they know and are not telling may be very important.

If you decide, then before any papers are signed, go through a complete set up with the dealer. Push and check every button twice and make sure that are no squeaks, groans, or non-operating parts. Check those items I mentioned in earlier posts to see if the modification have been done. See if you can find a mechanic to do a mechanical inspection of the engine components.

Then the hard part - decisions.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Made the tentative decision pending a few adjustments. Also a set of tires. Although low miles the FL heat has not been good to them.

While going over it today at the dealer noticed it was about impossible to check the water level of the batteries without removing them. Am I missing something or is that just the way it is. One would think that a sliding tray or something to access them. I gotta be missing something.

Roy
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Nope! You are not missing anything. That is they way it is. I purchased one of those $8 battery fillers. It holds about 2 quarts of water and has a side flow push down spigot on it. When the water in the batter reaches the spigot it automatically stops flowing. There are other things on the market as well.

Something like this Battery Filler
Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have one of those. Just seemed odd that where they do a pretty good job on most things that they would, imo, fumble the ball on this. Imo there is room for a sliding tray for the batteries. But it is what it is.

I have managed to get a total fluid and filter change out of them. Also new tires. The deal still isn't done but I'm feeling confident that it will be completed.

Never been involved in such a difficult purchase. I have pulled my deposit and walked once due to the intransigence of the seller. He has managed to remove any joy in process of purchasing this coach. But another couple of day's the process should be done and all should be good .

Were it not for the dealer I'd be gone. This owner has lied, mis represented things all through the process. If he didn't want to sell it why put it on the market?
But that doesn't change that it is low miles, in fantastic condition and the bride likes it. So the saga continues.

Sorry had to vent a bit.

Roy
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Roy,

This hasn't been discussed yet, how many hours are on the generator? The generator needs to be exercised (run) under 50% load minimally 2 hours per month. This is recommended by Cummins as part of the maintenance. The generator should have more than 100 hours if it has been exercised properly.

Good luck with your purchase.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The genset has about 250 hours on it. Seems to be working fine. Will have the dealer meter it though.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

It appears DW has made up your mind.

If she's happy, you're going to be happy.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Yup, she's real happy with it. We all know how it goes, she's happy, I'm happy.

We'll see how happy she is when she finds out we have to unload all the stuff in our trade. Actually good chance to lighten the load of stuff we haul around but never use. Of course now we can load new stuff we won;t use and haul that around. lol
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Fastcar,

With regards to the basement air. There is a duct that connects to the output of the unit in the back of the coach. The duct run is from the unit and it runs up between the back cap of the coach (rear outside fiberglass cap) and the back wall of the coach. The duct is essentially 4 pieces of styrafoam (or something like it) that are taped together in a rectangle shape and installed at the fatory. In some cases, over a period of time, the tape seems to lose its adheasive capability. In my case, during the hot weather this past summer, the basement air could not keep the coach cool. I slid under the back of the coach and with the AC running I saw a corner of the duct opened up and blowing air out of the opened duct. Some people have done thier own repairs but in my case the back cap of the coach had to be removed in order to repair the duct. The total cost of the repair was almost $2000. When I bought the coach I also bought an extended warrenty and so I ended up paying $100.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

If you have not done a "trade transfer of goods" before, my suggestion is to unload everything at the stick and bricks. Then take the new unit home and load it at leisure to get it "almost" right the first time.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We won't pick it up from the dealer until next Saturday. They will have to order some parts for all the maintainance items. New tires alignment and stuff. Also my wife works and is booked until then sooo that will be the next mutually available day.

That will give me plenty of time to unload our current one.

I see the duct work that was mentioned. I'm thinking that there are other way's to to it rather than removing the cap. Although it permits a better duct and a chance to insulate it. But extended warranty sure is nice
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Another thing that comes to mind. Start it up, let the air pressure build to the 125 psi, and when you hear the PShhht because it is up to pressure, turn the engine off. Stick your head down in front of the driver's seat and listen for the hiss of air leaking.

There is a know problem by Freightliner that the air pressure gauge mechanism develops a crack and leaks. If you hear the air escaping have them contact Freightliner for another gauge set. it took care of my problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Between the military and working on locomotives my ears are junk. I suppose you could add age into the mix as well. Anyway I'll check it out. I did under crawl the length of it checking for air leaks but I didn't notice anything. I'll be sure to check gage out. thanks!

Roy
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Well, I have the same hearing problem, so I had someone else with good hearing check. I had barely heard a little his. DW heard it more but could not pin point it. So an independent, and someone who has a MH checked it out and identified the approximate area it was coming from. A call to Freightliner resulted in them telling me about the problem, and they covered it under warranty. With that low mileage on the one you are going to purchase it might be worth asking someone else to "listen."

This is not outside the coach, but under the dash. Hey, get a funnel, put a hose on the end, put the end of the hose without the funnel against your ear and move the funnel around underneath. When finished, put hose in mouth and pour a beer into the funnel. Works for me.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Well, I have the same hearing problem, so I had someone else with good hearing check. I had barely heard a little his. DW heard it more but could not pin point it. So an independent, and someone who has a MH checked it out and identified the approximate area it was coming from. A call to Freightliner resulted in them telling me about the problem, and they covered it under warranty. With that low mileage on the one you are going to purchase it might be worth asking someone else to "listen."

This is not outside the coach, but under the dash. Hey, get a funnel, put a hose on the end, put the end of the hose without the funnel against your ear and move the funnel around underneath. When finished, put hose in mouth and pour a beer into the funnel. Works for me.

Tags
purchase