Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi All. I am the novice and could do with some advice. I am planning a 4 year trip in a Destination 93DP. Knowing it to be one of Winnebago's latest models and we do like its floorplan and general stats.. however, I have also noticed that there are a lot of deals on them at the moment, from the dealers and Winnebago themselves. Which makes me wonder if I should be as keen as I am on it, or should I reconsider my choice to .... maybe the Vectra? With all your experience and advanced knowledge, any information would be great. After all, dealers say they are the best. Thanks in advance Icey from England
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi All. I am the novice and could do with some advice. I am planning a 4 year trip in a Destination 93DP. Knowing it to be one of Winnebago's latest models and we do like its floorplan and general stats.. however, I have also noticed that there are a lot of deals on them at the moment, from the dealers and Winnebago themselves. Which makes me wonder if I should be as keen as I am on it, or should I reconsider my choice to .... maybe the Vectra? With all your experience and advanced knowledge, any information would be great. After all, dealers say they are the best. Thanks in advance Icey from England
Old 11-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ice-man,

I have also been looking at this unit and so far I don't see a deal breaker if I were in the market. I have not driven the coach. It has the smaller Cummins, that I had in a Discovery and I was pleased with its performance and MPG. If you like the way it drives out--I think it would be a great full-time coach. I have been pleased with Winnebago.

I also think it's a good time to buy. The market is not the greatest and incentives and discounts are the norm for most big ticket items.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks John I shall take your comments on board. Icey (aka Paul)
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

Don't let the "deals" scare you off. I think it's just a reflection of softness in the market at the moment and not an indication of a problem with the Destination.

You mentioned the Vectra and I assume you know you're not comparing apples to apples. Destination is the entry level diesel and Vectra is the top of the Winnebago line. Vectra has more luxury, lots more power, and lots more money. If you're comfortable with the price of the Vectra, I'd say go for it!

Where will you be traveling? If it involves lots of mountainous driving (like over here in the colonies ), the extra power of the Vectra might be appreciated. Also, depending on where you will be using it, fuel might be a problem. The current diesels require ultra low sulpher fuel and may be damaged if ULSD is not used. ULSD is now widely available here, but I don't know the situation in the world market.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Paul,

Again, welcome to the forum. If you like the Destination, look at the new Journeys. They are the same floorplan as the Destination, a little nicer interior, and just a little more money. Major difference is that the Destination is mid entry, and the Journey is front entry. Also, I looked at the finish on some of the parts of the Destination and was disappointed.

For instance, look at the dinette. Under the cushion is unfinshed plywood. The cushion will wear on the plywood, and removing both the cushion and the plywood to get into the storage is a pain. The Journey has the Benchmark dinette, and the seat cushion is hinged to lift out of the way. Check the finish on all of the storage compartments in the motorhome. I think that you'll find that the Journey's are more solid and will last longer - particularily if you are full timing.

In both units, all of the upper storage compartments are open from one end to the other. This includes the ones across the front. Items can slide from one end to the other while in motion unless you add partitions.

Another point - in both of he 39 foot models, the Tv IS behind the street slide slide when they are retracted. If you stop to eat, you have to open the slide to use the TV. No problem unless you are opening into traffic. This isn't a major point, but we like to watch TV using our satellite service while we are eating.

Overall, if you like the Destination and its floor plan, then you'll also like the Journey, and I believe that its a better bet for full timers - my opinion only.

Also, before you buy the Vectra, check the Tour. Same floor plans and less money. You lose a little horsepower and the independent front suspension.

In either case, we are Winnebago lovers, and I know that you'll enjoy your choice. Be sure to join WIT - Winnebago/Itasca Travelers - you get the first year's membership free when you buy a new coach - and join a local club. Great people, new friends, and the rallys and caravans are great.

Good luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our first motorhome we got WIT membership, but the dealer we got ours at doesn't. He said he had to cut down on costs.

He had enough money to build a brand new facility though.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Guys and thank you all for your sound advice. I never really looked at the Journey until the other day after John posted his reply to me. It is interesting, plus, I expected the interior to be finished to a high standard no matter what entry level the unit is. So thanks to you all.

My trip is over a period of years, no specific agenda, except, we shall be touring the States for about 2 years (Visa's pemitted) crossing into Canada at various times. Once we have exhausted he states, we shall, with the aid of ships, travel back to the UK via Euope, particularly Eastern Europe. Time will not be an issue, but as Tom mentioned, thanks Tom, the extra power of the engine would possibly be useful over mountainous areas. So more food for thought.

Therefore, maybe I should discount the Destination and review the more practicle options of The Journey, Tour or Vectra. But over here, there arent as many centres to look at the units properly. Infact, I have only found 3 and non are local to me in Brighton.

Once again, thanks all and I will most probably be meeting up with you on one of the US rallys, cus they too will play a part in my route across the States. Paul in Blighty
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I was surfing on EBay yesterday and saw a 2008 Destination at a very low price , It was the Workhorse gas pusher and the price listed (if it can be believed) was VERY reasonable.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ice-Man,

If you liked the Journey, also look at the Meridian. It's has a few more features. Not the Meridian SE, as it is a stripped down version. We bought a one-year old one and had the previous owner do the shakedown for us! Plus saved a lot of $$.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom I notice that the Itasca range is very similar to the Winne range. Why is that? The pricing seems very similar, so now I am confused. Which isnt hard as I have been studying these vehicles constantly for ages, but mostly on paper.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We visited the plant in Forest City and they are all built on the same assembly lines. By them having two Brands, they can have more retailers selling very similar products without infringing on territories. Winnebago/Itasca-some say is like Chevrolet/Cadillac, I think more like Chevrolet/Buick. But for Journey/Meridian, you do get more standard items on the Meridian (again not talking about the SE version).
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Ice-Man, don't be confused regarding Winnebago versus Itasca. It is simply a marketing arrangement by Winnebago Industries. It is no different than our Ford versus Mercury brands, or General Motors versus Chevrolet trucks. It allows one manufacturer to have multiple product lines. It also allows that manufacturer to have more dealerships in the same city (such as a Chevy dealership here, and a GMC dealership a few miles away) It's called covering their bases!

Anyway, they are almost exactly the same products, with mostly cosmetic differences. We happened to find an Itasca that we liked, but would have bought the Winnebago version if we would have found that first.
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks All, looking in from England is quiet difficult as I am quiet aware of english methods, but the mistake is to assume that the US market runs the same, when sometime it is very different. So thanks for your help and guidance. I have always know of the name Winnebago and therefore, pursued it as an ideal purchase, but like most things, when you start looking, it all goes cloudy and more options come to the forefront. We do make things complicated for ourselves dont we! - Still, I shall now spend a little time looking at the Itasca range now.
Cheers all
Icey
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

You should consider a 2007 tour orVectra FD. We have a Vectra AD and are really pleased with it. All the features you'll need plus. Since you will be full timing and traveling alot both of these coaches would not disappoint. A 07 model would not required the new ultra low sulpher fuel and less maintanence. The FD has a great floorplan and more spacious kitchen area. The main difference between the Tour and Vectra is IFS (a better ride) and a larger engine on the Vectra. the Vectra
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote