Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Any one have one of these units. We recently looked at one and loved the layout. I am looking for info from people that own one.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Any one have one of these units. We recently looked at one and loved the layout. I am looking for info from people that own one.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We've got an '05 Itasca Horizon by Winnebago. It's the same as the Vectra with a few upgrades and we're as happy as can be with it. They had to replace one of the AC compressors during the first month of ownership, but other than that it has been a great coach. My only complaint is the noisy blower when you're in the rear of the coach. I've been in coaches with roof mounted air and it's just as noisy if not more. If I had the chance to choose again, I'd go with the basement mounted A/C just like the Vectra. The 400hp Cummins runs effortlessly. Mileage is 7-8 mpg at 65mph. I don't like the CRT TV's but I think the '07 has the LCD models. The sound system is pretty good and very versatile. I highly recommend the Vectra.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Keith but I was specifically refering to the 2007 40TD model.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I believe the primary difference between the two is the chassis - with the Vectra/Horizon you get IFS. If the price differential isn't too much for you, by all means go for the Vectra/Horizon.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

It is actually the livability of this new floorplan that I am interested in. Are you guys trying to tell me this floorplan was available in older year models?

Vectra 40 TD

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-26-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Jim,

I think the TD floorplan only became available this year. The idea of the front kitchen rear living area sounds neat for a pusher motorhome that has the front door as it eliminates the traffic through the living area for all those trips in and out of the kitchen. If it was only two of us traveling, I might like the floorplan, but I'd need actually see one to know for sure.

Right now though, the TD floorplan does not work, as we are a family of 5. Having the kids ride so far back in the coach on the sofa's would not work for us. I also think that rear living area could hurt resale later if it doesn't turn out to be popular as it really hurts the family thats traveling.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
cwg
Winnebago Camper

Had we stayed in the Winnebago family, we were going to purchase the 40 TD as our next coach. We liked the floor plan, especially the theater seats mid coach in front of the LCD television. At the Grand National last summer where it was introduced to the public, it was touted as the largest interior space of any forty footer in production.

There were two deal breakers for us:
1) The exterior storage with both sides having Stor-more is non-existent. Check out the stats. Having been in a 40AD which is no longer made, the exterior storage space was much more voluminous.

2) No King bed and it takes a tight wire walker to neogiate getting into the bed or utilize the closet. There is merely no more than a few inches between the bed and the closet doors.

If you can overlook these aspects, I think it is a very neat floor plan.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks cwg, this is the type of response I was looking for. I did notice the smaller amount of outside storage and the rear closet having hindered access. I did like how they put the main awning on the slide so no sheltered space was lost versus installing the main slide on the roof line like so many mfg's do. We are in the early stages of looking but I think we could get past the deal breakers. There are just so many fine coaches out there.

It seems that there is a big price difference between the 40TD and the Essex 4502

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Jim,

When just got our new 07 Vectra TD last month and love it. The TD floor plan just became available this year. We have looked at a lot of coaches over the last year and when we saw the Vectra 40 TD we new it was the one for us. Coming from a gas motor home to the 400 Cumming with the Independent from suspension is as different as night and day.

The 60 degree turning is great and the independent front suspension makes the handling and
ride fantastic. Of course I am coming from a 98 Dolphin which was a nice motor home but no comparison to the Vectra.

The front kitchen center living area with the 37" LCD TV and 2 recliners is just like sitting in your living room at home. Has a great surround sound system. If you like sitting outside and watching a race or football game theirs the outside entertainment center.

Another thing we liked are the large awning. The main awning is attached to the large slide which allows it to be low enough to give you shade. On most of the other coach we looked at the awning was attached at the roof level and when the slide is out the awning is so high and straight out it is pretty much useless.

We have found it to have a lot of storage. The only thing we didn't really care for is the access to the rear closet but we are getting use to it and finding it not to be a problem. Small problem considering all the other positive things. The wife really like the dishwasher.

Good Luck in making your choose. If you get any other questions about the Vectra please e-mail me.

Gary Mears
Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]
2007 Vectra 40 TD
Gary_Phoenix, AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the reply Gary. What toad are you pulling if any? Not that it really matters but what is the milage you are getting?

I noticed that the 40 TD is not offered with a conventional oven, even as an option. We boondock a bit and think we might miss that.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-27-2007, 03:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Jim

Our toad is a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Using Blue Ox Aventa II Tow Bar. Quick and easy to hook up & unhook.

The coach comes with a 30" GE Advantium microwave / convection oven

Haven't checked mileage yet.

What type of coach do you have now? What part of the country are you in? Are you full timing?

Gary Mears
Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]
2007 Vectra 40 TD
Gary_Phoenix, AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Gary, the coach listed in our signature below is current. We are fulltiming and in Palm Springs right now heading to Borrego Springs for a month or so. Then towards Lake Tahoe for some skiing.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

JimandSue --

Our '07 Journey did not come with an oven; we had it put in special at the factory in the area which does the custom handicap coaches. They told me pretty much if they offered it in '06 they can do it for '07.

The factory builds the coach to factory specs and then it is shipped over to the custom build area, where they put the oven in. About $900.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Thanks pusherman, that is good to know.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have the Advantium Microwave oven and if it has that in the 40TD you don't need a regular oven, works great.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy S:
We have the Advantium Microwave oven and if it has that in the 40TD you don't need a regular oven, works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We boondock often, and find our selves without hookups and sometimes not being able to run the genset whenever we want. In those cases we would need an oven.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I toured the 40TD florplan in Tampa last month at the RV show. It is a very nice floorplan and I would highly recommend it. I wasn't sure about the kitchen up front but when I saw it, I really liked it!

08 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV
montanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

We put a deposit on a 2007 Vectra 40TD today in Florida, now all we have to do is drive from San Jose to Tampa and check it out. I guess we will figure out how to live without an oven or remove the dishwasher and install an oven. I test drove one here in California and liked it. The 60 degree wheel cut is pretty nice. I hope I will be able to handle the hp and torque difference from our Journey 32T with the cummins 300

Life is Good
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Congratulations enjoy.
You won't miss the oven the convection will do the oven and more once your use to it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote