Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2007 Journey C7 Coolant Change

The time has come to R+R the C7 engine coolant.I have talked to Winnebago Tech Support about weather or not the water heater coil and drivers area heater core would drain to the rear and the response was that they should but the tech didn't make me real confident any suggestions on the process will be appreciated thank you. Happy Trails
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmielowiec View Post
The time has come to R+R the C7 engine coolant.I have talked to Winnebago Tech Support about weather or not the water heater coil and drivers area heater core would drain to the rear and the response was that they should but the tech didn't make me real confident any suggestions on the process will be appreciated thank you. Happy Trails
Take it to a popular truck service center.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I prefer to do my own work for alot of reasons but I do appreciate the suggestion
Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just did some work on my heater core and the height of the surge tank in the rear of the RV forced around 1/2 gallon out of the hose. The heater core is of course at the height of the passenger's knees and it did puke some antifreeze when I first disconnected the hoses, because the surge tank is even higher. Not much was lost though.

So how high is your surge tank?

Also, you can use a flat blade style clamping tool made for heater core hoses to choke off any leakage when you pull off a hose. Then use a plug in it. Gives you more control of the situation. Eventually, you drop the heater core hoses down low and they'll drain from the engine until empty. Put a coupler between the supply and return hoses while you do the change. The heater core itself doesn't hold enough to worry about, I'd ignore it and not try to drain it. But if you must, blow it out with air.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the info and reply I appreciate it
Old 11-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thought I'd mention that the typical rear engine RV has two shutoff valves, brass, very close to or right at the engine. You can find them by following the heater hoses back to the engine. Smart but unscrupulous shops often shut those off so they don't have to worry about draining the heater hoses that go all the way up to the front of the RV (30 to 40 feet of 5/8" hose) and into the heater core so they save a couple gallons of antifreeze, and at $15/gallon, that's $30 to you at retail. But the invoice still shows the book amount of AF. So if you do take it to the shop, make sure you discuss whether or not they're going to drain the heater core and hoses. (Don't mind me, I tend to be suspicious of shops after decades of being taken advantage of, and/or dealing with incompetence in the service industry).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Once I drain the radiator, I disconnect the heater hoses at the shut off near the engine to drain any other coolant. I don't worry about small amounts that might be left behind. You can never get it all out unless you flush with water. I would rather change more often than do the flush.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Coolant change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G View Post
Once I drain the radiator, I disconnect the heater hoses at the shut off near the engine to drain any other coolant. I don't worry about small amounts that might be left behind. You can never get it all out unless you flush with water. I would rather change more often than do the flush.
What coolant are you using. I saw a long life fluid at Walmart that I’m thinking would be ok.It has all the big Diesel engines listed.
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I use Peak Fleet Charge in the concentrate bottle and then mix with water to 50/50. You can by the water in the gallons to make sure you have no contaminates. Cat also uses in some engines the Peak Final Charge which is red in color. Yours should be like mine which is pink. It is also much cheaper when you can mix your own.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Antifreeze

Quote:
I use Peak Fleet Charge in the concentrate bottle and then mix with water to 50/50. You can by the water in the gallons to make sure you have no contaminates. Cat also uses in some engines the Peak Final Charge which is red in color. Yours should be like mine which is pink. It is also much cheaper when you can mix your own.
I have the original which I have to change . It’s green. I saw the peak final charge global already made up. I forget how much but I don’t think it was too bad. I think it called for 7 or so gallons. I’ll have to check. Did you get any air pockets. I have all original hoses too. Think they are synthetic but have to check also. It has 40 k on it .
Old 11-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Antifreeze

Quote:
Thanks for replying
Old 11-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I never had a problem after changing the coolant. It always seemed to self bleed from running at idle and occasionally increase the rpms to around 1200 for a couple minutes to get things moving. Make sure you put the dash heater on full hot to circulate the coolant into the heater core. Have you owned this coach since new? I think they all came with the pink coolant when new. You may want to drain the old stuff out and refill with straight water to flush out all the green coolant. I don't think its good to mix different types.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Antifreeze

Quote:
I never had a problem after changing the coolant. It always seemed to self bleed from running at idle and occasionally increase the rpms to around 1200 for a couple minutes to get things moving. Make sure you put the dash heater on full hot to circulate the coolant into the heater core. Have you owned this coach since new? I think they all came with the pink coolant when new. You may want to drain the old stuff out and refill with straight water to flush out all the green coolant. I don't think its good to mix different types.
yes unfortunately I’ve done most of the other maintenance items but I was once told by a mechanic that some of these items are not necessary. I only have 40 k on it . Not sure if the additives would be depleted. It is definitely green.

Tags
journey