Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wow! What a crazy month it has been. The last 2 weeks of which have been in here reading post after post on various topics about Winnebago's. I have thank you guys for pumping so much info into this forum.

I had alot of catching up to do on Winnebago's, my first RV was a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain 23' I purchased in 1998. Great rig, small enough you could use it for day trips, and at the time big enough to do weekend campouts. Everyone always use to ask if that 10 year old Chieftain was new and a new model for Winnebago. (BTW that smoke in the back is a campfire and not the motor smoking)

One of the biggest things I think I have learned over the last 8 years after owning the Winne, a Coachmen Mirada, and 2 custom Show Hauler truck conversions is that your never going to find the perfect rig that will suit every single possible want/need and you'll never find a rig that is completely trouble free.

For me Winnebago seems to really back there product up with great customer service when that issue does arise. And that is a key factor to me.

So Monday I pick up a 2006 Vectra 40KD. I will start posting feed back, questions, comparisons next week. I have to scramble to get my stuff in and organized by Friday evening when he head out for the week long national. This is the same thing I did last year with my new Show Hauler which took 6 months to build and during the process was found to have a blown head gasket on the brand new motor. (major stress last year at this time)

Nothing like sticking close to home for that first shake down run in the Vectra. The rally will be a 1200 mile round trip.

Spec's

Interior: Barcelona Sage/Honey Cherry/Creme Ultra Leather
Exterior: Prairie Fire

Options Include:

Power cord reel
GPS Nav w/ Dual monitors
Dishwasher
Vacuum
Mask front
Stereo w/ cd in rear
Awning windows
Ceiling fans Lounge & Bedroom
Shower Head hand held
Water hose reel
Levelers
Entertainment center
6 way seats
King sleep number
Awning sunscreen patio
Spotlight
Radio satellite
4 door fridge
SS appliance pkg
In motion sat
J lounge
micro/speed cook
Mud guard rear
Safe
Slide out tray
Undercoat
Ladder
Rest easy
Trip tek
Old 07-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Wow! What a crazy month it has been. The last 2 weeks of which have been in here reading post after post on various topics about Winnebago's. I have thank you guys for pumping so much info into this forum.

I had alot of catching up to do on Winnebago's, my first RV was a 1989 Winnebago Chieftain 23' I purchased in 1998. Great rig, small enough you could use it for day trips, and at the time big enough to do weekend campouts. Everyone always use to ask if that 10 year old Chieftain was new and a new model for Winnebago. (BTW that smoke in the back is a campfire and not the motor smoking)

One of the biggest things I think I have learned over the last 8 years after owning the Winne, a Coachmen Mirada, and 2 custom Show Hauler truck conversions is that your never going to find the perfect rig that will suit every single possible want/need and you'll never find a rig that is completely trouble free.

For me Winnebago seems to really back there product up with great customer service when that issue does arise. And that is a key factor to me.

So Monday I pick up a 2006 Vectra 40KD. I will start posting feed back, questions, comparisons next week. I have to scramble to get my stuff in and organized by Friday evening when he head out for the week long national. This is the same thing I did last year with my new Show Hauler which took 6 months to build and during the process was found to have a blown head gasket on the brand new motor. (major stress last year at this time)

Nothing like sticking close to home for that first shake down run in the Vectra. The rally will be a 1200 mile round trip.

Spec's

Interior: Barcelona Sage/Honey Cherry/Creme Ultra Leather
Exterior: Prairie Fire

Options Include:

Power cord reel
GPS Nav w/ Dual monitors
Dishwasher
Vacuum
Mask front
Stereo w/ cd in rear
Awning windows
Ceiling fans Lounge & Bedroom
Shower Head hand held
Water hose reel
Levelers
Entertainment center
6 way seats
King sleep number
Awning sunscreen patio
Spotlight
Radio satellite
4 door fridge
SS appliance pkg
In motion sat
J lounge
micro/speed cook
Mud guard rear
Safe
Slide out tray
Undercoat
Ladder
Rest easy
Trip tek
Old 07-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Congratulations Bill, shall I make the change?

Welcome back to the Winnie family.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Congrats, on the new rig.

I am sure you will enjoy your KD as much as we enjoy ours.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Congrats, Warpath ! We picked up our 05 40AD just the week before you and love it - also did a 1k mile trip starting the day after we got it. Very quick way to get to know your new coach, hope the trip was as much fun as ours!

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

WOW!!!

We're starting a trend that BETTER be a one year trend, that of the co-owners of iRV2 showing up in new rigs!!

WOW!!!! CONGRATS BILL!!!!

Didn't take long to get one of the co-owners back in the Winnebago "fold".....pretty work!!

Looks like the king bed and the spot light are the biggest differences from my KD...

I spent all this morning getting the stuff back into the coach and I need to go Wednesday and do the Datastorm...

Glad you were able to get the Prairie Fire you guys wanted....it's only an 1100 mile round trip for me....

Way to go Bill....I'm sure our wives will compare notes about their crazy husbands now!!!

Hey.....bring that plastic wrap for BOTH of us!!

I'm going to put a tin cup on a table next to the front door....donations accepted!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, Bill. I think you and Michelle and the kids will be very happy with it. There will be a test at the rally on all the literature that will come with it. So read up.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:50 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Mike D....I thought there was a lot of info in the famous "Winnebago black bag", I now have two "medium sized bags and a huge binder on the K2....SHEESH!!

Will be watching for reports from Bill....

I guess with all the deer in Ohio and PA,they order those spotlights for hunting purposes??

At least the "new rig" tours will be on different rows of the campground!!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone know which GPS Winnebago uses?

I am assuming it is touch screen since I did not see any buttons on the unit. Is there a antenna on the roof for it?

Can anyone compare it to the StreetPilot 7200 which I currently have?

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Bill, the GPS NAV in my Vectra was an Alpine...

I had ordered the secondary screen, which displayed the route info as well as through the rear camera screen on an auxillary button. It was pretty accurate and utilized a hand-held remote or touch screen,whichever you chose. There was an east and west CD which you had to put in the unit,which in my Vectra was up in the driver overhead compartment on the shelf near the 10 disc.

You input the city and street name and there were the usual "preferences" you could set as far as speed,stops along the way and so forth.

I am not familiar with the 7200, but hope I've given you some idea of what's in your Vectra.

Since your Vectra is an '06 I'd imagine you'll have the same stuff..

I WILL tell you that I now have what is suposedly the "best" Pioneer has to offer in NAV/CD/back up screen offerings and it IS NOT very user friendly.....Too many touches necessary to get the thing to even play the radio...

My buddy Jeff has the "next model down" Pioneer in his Mountain Aire and it almost met a very untimely death yesterday as he couldn't figure out how to get the back up screen back...

You'll at least find the Alpine user friendly,even if it's not your 7200.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Bill....gonna get any sleep tonight??

Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Bill & Michelle - Congratulations! That's one beautiful Vectra. Talk about Dave & me keeping secret a coach purchase. "Lucy, you gonna have some 'splainin' to do!"

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Spoke with Bill this morning, he hadn't gotten a full night's sleep....I KNOW how that is when you're awaiting the coach....He was scheduled to go out this afternoon and pick it up, we'll all wait to hear from Bill on he and Michelle's new baby!!

Now he can share in the "get the coach ready for the Rally" turmoil with me!!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

Now he can share in the "get the coach ready for the Rally" turmoil with me!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is almost deja vu for him from last year

Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Mike, I can assure you that,if he does it AGAIN next year,I WON'T be participating!!

Unless you know a GREAT attorney!!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

In the words of BobbyG WOW!

Man is there a crazy difference between a conversion and a pusher. The silent was deafening on the way home. So use to hearing that motor out front, it was awesome to hear yourself think.

The evolution chassis is silky smooth! Blows away the ride in the conversion. Sharp bumps where pretty noticeable, but I think once we get some weight in this thing it will be great.

Love that Jake Brake! Even in low that thing will just about stop you with only a little braking assistance. Love that turbo whistle out of the Cummins 400 when you start out and than it fades away with the wind as you pick up speed. Plenty of power!

Love the interior, bravo Winnebago! So many well thought out features, I just love it.

First question, on the GPS should I have gotten a remote? I cant get past the enter screen, since there is no enter button on the screen or on the gps.

I will start a new thread tomorrow, for now it's time for a good nights sleep.

Hey Lori & Dave! No secret here, there where so many details to take care of I wasn't sure when or if this deal was going to get done, specially before the rally. See ya there!

Bill
Old 07-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Bill,the remote might be in your black bag....Mine was mounted near the radio on the face of the dash, but I think dealer did that...

Remote is necessary to move through the prompts....

CONGRATS BUDDY!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

OK now get busy packing! Ya only got until Friday!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Congrats Bill!!

Maybe we should put you and Bob on adjacent sites toward the back of the Rally so the "new coach bug" doesn't bite the entire group?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Hey found that remote! I was installing my CB and while I was laying on the ground I looked over and there it was under the captain chair.

Bob your right it is pretty easy to use, not nearly as nice as my 7200 but I think it will work.

Got all of the clocks set (that's a job in it's self)

Started to get some clothes in, Michelle has alot of the kitchen stuff loaded. Man alot more to do.

This thing is huge! Still waiting for the buyer of my conversion to come and pick up his rig which is in my driveway. Went in it tonight to check a few things and I could not believe how small the interior is compared to the Vectra.