Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Winnebago Adventurer 33V....just bought one....what can I expect?

Just curious as to Adventurer owners experiences out there...been mostly happy?

Its he GM 8100 wih Allison trans....39,000 miles

What kind of problems can I expect?

Thank you for any feedback!
Hertzair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well...hope to be happy with it soon! We have an 06 38J and have been pleased with what it can do for us. We are still having a few new owner issues related to buying our first RV and dealing with some minor but typical used RV issues. New tires, replacing rear shocks, fitting 2 GSD dog crates (LOL), filling it up with stuff, and such.

I think the most important thing is to get lots of knowledge about systems, get to understand them, use them correctly and GET ON THE ROAD! We are finally getting to the road part.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzair View Post

Most likely built on a W-20 or W-22 Workhorse chassis. You need to make certain the Bosch Brake recall campaign has been completed and unless you have good maintenance records proving it isn't needed, drain out the Dexron III from the tranny and replace with TranSynd ATF. Swap the spin on tranny filter-reuse magnet. Weigh and set tire pressure accordingly, go USE it!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the advice and will comply...any issues with windshield rust?

Thudriver: how's the 38J handle compared to the F-105? I assume you've camped around "Thud Ridge"...thank you for your service to our country!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the advice and will comply...any issues with windshield rust?

Thudriver: how's the 38J handle compared to the F-105? I assume you've camped around "Thud Ridge"...thank you for your service to our country!
The Tam Dao range was a mother of an ingress route.

I just might have to change my name. I wish I was a Thud Pilot. My claim to aviation fame is that I am the last air traffic controller to work a manned F-105 flight as it was flown into Chanute AFB for the museum. I was fortunate enough to get rides in both the F-100 and F-106 during my USAF stint as an air traffic controller though.

My use of the name seemed obscure since I used it for Email. I got so use to using it for general purposes and there are at least 2 bonafide Thud pilots on board here. They deserve all the credit and I hope I don't insult them with my nickname.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

We bought our 1999 37.5 Adventurer new on whim (what a WHIM) and have had no real problems to worth reporting. It is smooth to drive and with the Triton V10, it has the power to pull a full size Chevy truck up some of the steepest highways (a littler slower then we'd like) without the help of the Bank outfit (although w'd like to have it).

Winny makes a good product for the price. Many happy miles to you. Enjoy the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun

We bought our 1999 37.5 Adventurer new on whim (what a WHIM) and have had no real problems to worth reporting. It is smooth to drive and with the Triton V10, it has the power to pull a full size Chevy truck up some of the steepest highways (a littler slower then we'd like) without the help of the Bank outfit (although w'd like to have it).

Winny makes a good product for the price. Many happy miles to you. Enjoy the coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, thats great you still have the same coach for 13 years! Yes Winnebago makes a great product! First trip in our coach tomorrow...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver

The Tam Dao range was a mother of an ingress route.

I just might have to change my name. I wish I was a Thud Pilot. My claim to aviation fame is that I am the last air traffic controller to work a manned F-105 flight as it was flown into Chanute AFB for the museum. I was fortunate enough to get rides in both the F-100 and F-106 during my USAF stint as an air traffic controller though.

My use of the name seemed obscure since I used it for Email. I got so use to using it for general purposes and there are at least 2 bonafide Thud pilots on board here. They deserve all the credit and I hope I don't insult them with my nickname.
Well you deserve credit as well...as a pilot myself, we can't get in and out of aerodromes safely with out you ATC folks!!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray
Most likely built on a W-20 or W-22 Workhorse chassis. You need to make certain the Bosch Brake recall campaign has been completed and unless you have good maintenance records proving it isn't needed, drain out the Dexron III from the tranny and replace with TranSynd ATF. Swap the spin on tranny filter-reuse magnet. Weigh and set tire pressure accordingly, go USE it!
Thanks Ed, I will check into that with the Customer Service folks at Winnebago factory tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks Ed, I will check into that with the Customer Service folks at Winnebago factory tomorrow.
Winnie CS "may" be able to help you, but those are chassis related issues, and they may not have access to the recall records at Workhorse.

Send me a PM if you need more info. Ed
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2000 Adventurer 38G and now a 2007 Adventurer 39T Great coach, we have not had any major concerns. Have fun!
Herb, Mar and camping dog Lucy
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Check the DOT date stamp on your tires ... I changed my tires after 7 years

A blowout can do major damage to your rig ... as well as to your person
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
...any issues with windshield rust?
You've probably already read my two threads regarding rusted windshield fames here... you are well within the range of potentially having rusted-out windshield frames, and in my opinion, you should certainly take the time to inspect them. The windshield molding is called the reveal moulding; when you pull those out, it just might 'reveal' a rust problem. (The black moulding around the glass and the center of the glass. By design, this molding is not sealed to the motorhome cap or windshield frame, and allows water to get in behind the molding. The water can get trapped their and then rust out the frame.)

The rust may be superficial surface rust and not take much effort to clean up and then prime/paint the frame. In more extreme cases, the frame can be rusted through, leaving holes in the frame. When it rains, the water gets into the motorhome and leaks, typically puddling up on the dash.

The expensive part of the repair isn't so much the rust, but rather having to pull the windshield glass, which typically breaks. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Here is a link to the Workhorse brake recall resource center. You can enter your VIN # and see if your affected by the recall.
Brake Recall Resource Center
GNP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Adventures in Adventurers

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbertgk View Post
We had a 2000 Adventurer 38G and now a 2007 Adventurer 39T Great coach, we have not had any major concerns. Have fun!
Herb, Mar and camping dog Lucy
Great! We're enjoying it right now as I type...the only problem we are having is trying to get rid of some previous owners pet odor in the carpet...have you had any of the notorious windshield rust issues?

Thanks!

Erik
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Check the DOT date stamp on your tires ... I changed my tires after 7 years

A blowout can do major damage to your rig ... as well as to your person
Yes, we have fresh tires all-round!

Thanks, didnt realize the tires had expiration dates!

Erik
Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Winnie CS "may" be able to help you, but those are chassis related issues, and they may not have access to the recall records at Workhorse.

Send me a PM if you need more info. Ed
Thanks Ed, will do.

Erik
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the world of Winnebago, be sure and exercise your spirit of adventure and always travel with sense of humor. Afull pocket book helps as well. Look into joining the Winnebago Itasca Travelers (WIT) a travel, social club sponsored by the factory with lots of caravans and other destinations you might enjoy . There are also State and local chapters who will put you in touch with other owners.

Don,WIT70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2004 33v and had the brake recall done when we purchased it (november 2010) along with new tires.

Items I have done myself include:

Repair rust and reseal windshields.
New shocks (Koni)
Flush antifreeze and replace with dexcool
Replace serpentine belt
Replace transmission fluid with TranSynd (twice)
Oil Changes / switched to Mobil 1
Fuel Filter and adapter replacement
Air Filter

Generator:
Oil changes
Airfilter
Spark plugs
Fuel filter

Other items covered under warranty were. The rear cap separating at the floor in the rear of the coach.
Springs for the Leveling jacks
Solenoids for the leveling jacks
Replacement of the gas valves on the range
Microwave repair

So the first year of ownership we had some issues. This year us better. I did discover that my refrigerator keeps temperature on electric better then propane. So that is another item to look at before our next trip.

If you run ito any issues make sure to ask here. Great people here to answer any questions.

Best of luck with your Winnebago.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Great Info

Thanks Bugs, great info....I will add all this to my maintenance checklist to check on compliance etc.

Erik

QUOTE=Bug512;1183007]We have a 2004 33v and had the brake recall done when we purchased it (november 2010) along with new tires.

Items I have done myself include:

Repair rust and reseal windshields.
New shocks (Koni)
Flush antifreeze and replace with dexcool
Replace serpentine belt
Replace transmission fluid with TranSynd (twice)
Oil Changes / switched to Mobil 1
Fuel Filter and adapter replacement
Air Filter

Generator:
Oil changes
Airfilter
Spark plugs
Fuel filter

Other items covered under warranty were. The rear cap separating at the floor in the rear of the coach.
Springs for the Leveling jacks
Solenoids for the leveling jacks
Replacement of the gas valves on the range
Microwave repair

So the first year of ownership we had some issues. This year us better. I did discover that my refrigerator keeps temperature on electric better then propane. So that is another item to look at before our next trip.

If you run ito any issues make sure to ask here. Great people here to answer any questions.

Best of luck with your Winnebago.[/QUOTE]