Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Voyage no power

Hi

We our on the first trip with a new to us 2005 Voyage. Runs great. We are having 1 problem. There is no power to the dash and passenger side cigar lighter. I have read on here about others having the same problems. I have checked the fuses and the aux power switch is on. Makes it difficult to power the GPS.

I have not read any solutions. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Joe and Kate
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

By 'checking', you mean visually inspecting? I wouldn't rely on that. Use a meter and check voltage on each side of the fuses. All of them. I don't know your coach, but mine has some circuit breakers built in. If you do, make sure those aren't tripped. From there, it's a bit of an investigation. Start simple.. go back over the fuses.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

What chassis do you have? It is probably powered by the chassis battery.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
What chassis do you have? It is probably powered by the chassis battery.
Workhorse
Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Lift up your dash and make sure that the wire on the back of the cigar lighter is connected. I have an '06 Voyage. It is pretty easy to knock this wire off.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Lift up your dash and make sure that the wire on the back of the cigar lighter is connected. I have an '06 Voyage. It is pretty easy to knock this wire off.

I have a lighter in the bedroom which works. It is the dash and passenger side outlets not working. I have checked the fuses using a meter, still no luck. I made sure the aux battery switch is on.

When I switch the radio from engine to house the radio isnt working. I am sure all of these issues are connected

Just cant figure out what.

Everything else powered by the house batteries work
Old 10-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The power outlets up front are fused in the add on fuse blocks Winnebago adds under the dash. Did you check those? That fuse also protects the radio power, and your aux battery switch.

The eight fuses up top like on this Ford:

The diagrams aren't clear, and I forget, are they powered from the chassis or coach battery? I think it's the coach, agrees with other stuff in the diagrams. There's a 30 amp circuit breaker under the step that powers the fuse under the dash. It also powers a second fuse there (again, diagrams aren't clear) for the seats, mirrors or inverter, but those work? If so, and the 20 amp fuses labeled "Radio 12v recps" is good, probably time to look at the ground side, but there are multiple grounds that would have to be bad unlike the single fuse on the positive side.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

still no power

I have checked all the fuses. Winnabago sent me a wiring diagram. I have a solid ground but no power. There is power at the fuse

The radio works when the radio switch is on engine power, when I change the switch to house the radio goes off. This with the aux power switch on.

Anyone think the switch could be bad?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

JJKJ,

When you say "auxillary power switch" are you referring to the "Coach battery switch"? If so- the answer would be no. You would have to 12v appliances working anywhere inside. Sorry that I don't have an answer for you but I'm watching the thread for someone who does. Maybe the diagram will help.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
JJKJ,

When you say "auxillary power switch" are you referring to the "Coach battery switch"? If so- the answer would be no. You would have to 12v appliances working anywhere inside. Sorry that I don't have an answer for you but I'm watching the thread for someone who does. Maybe the diagram will help.
The coach batteries are on. I am referring to the switch on the dash that changes power for the radio between the engine battery and house battery. I have power to that switch and the radio when the switch is on the engine. When I change it to house, the radio goes off.

With the coach batteries on, the lights. water pump all work.

I read on here that the outlets on the dash and passenger side only work when the house batteries are on. They dont and that is the reason I was asking if the dash switch could be responsible.

Thanks for taking the time to help
Old 11-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The power outlets up front are fused in the add on fuse blocks Winnebago adds under the dash. Did you check those? That fuse also protects the radio power, and your aux battery switch.

The eight fuses up top like on this Ford:

The diagrams aren't clear, and I forget, are they powered from the chassis or coach battery? I think it's the coach, agrees with other stuff in the diagrams. There's a 30 amp circuit breaker under the step that powers the fuse under the dash. It also powers a second fuse there (again, diagrams aren't clear) for the seats, mirrors or inverter, but those work? If so, and the 20 amp fuses labeled "Radio 12v recps" is good, probably time to look at the ground side, but there are multiple grounds that would have to be bad unlike the single fuse on the positive side.

All fuses good, checked with meter
Good ground checked with meter

There is a switch on the dash that switches the radio from the engine battery to the coach battery. When the switch is in the engine position the radio comes on, when I throw the switch to the coach battery the radio goes off.

I traced the LS1 wire from the cigar lighter to a splice that connects to the 15 pin connector under the dash. On the other side of the dash the LS1 wire goes to a splice to the 1LS and 2LS wires. Theses wires go to the switch on the dash.

I used the ohms meter at the connector and I get a solid reading at the cigar lighter while doing this. I replaced the switch and still have the problem.

Here are the wires on the back of the dash switch.
MK- has power
LD – only has power with the key on
WN- only has power with key on and the switch in the engine battery position
GT – has power, with the switch in the engine battery position only
2LS – no power
1LS- no power

Could it be the connector or is there a hidden fuse? I get a reading at the cigar outlet so I don’t think it is a fuse.

The thing that really stumps me is the radio not having power when the switch is in the coach battery position.

Sorry for the long letter. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated
Old 11-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
There's a 30 amp circuit breaker under the step that powers the fuse under the dash. It also powers a second fuse there (again, diagrams aren't clear) for the seats, mirrors or inverter, but those work?
You didn't specifically say the circuit breakers under the step are ok, are they?

Many folks don't even know they are there. Couldn't find a great picture, but you can see the access door in this picture:

Old 11-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with it. When you say "getting a reading" I'm assuming you're not using the continuity check mode on your meter...you know- the one that beeps when you touch the leads together? I think that's the only thing you need to determine right now (that everything is connected between check points). I know some might say that they've had bad luck with this but I would call the Winnebago tech line and speak with someone who understands your coach. I personally have used then several times and found them helpful every time. Motorized Product:
1-800-537-1885
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Not a Winni, but we have a cut off switch for the radio in the bedroom that gets turned off on occasion.

Mike
Old 11-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Wait, you said there is power at the fuse? I forgot about that. It wouldn't be the circuit breaker then. I need to review the diagrams, there's not much between the fuse and the power outlet....

Old 11-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Sorry to hear you're still having issues with it. When you say "getting a reading" I'm assuming you're not using the continuity check mode on your meter...you know- the one that beeps when you touch the leads together? I think that's the only thing you need to determine right now (that everything is connected between check points). I know some might say that they've had bad luck with this but I would call the Winnebago tech line and speak with someone who understands your coach. I personally have used then several times and found them helpful every time. Motorized Product:
1-800-537-1885
I followed your advice and contacted Winnabago. The tech went thru everything with me and finally after much time suggested changing the 15 pin connector under the dash. Well after installing the new connector everything works.

To the naked eye the connector looks fine but there had to be a small crack that prevented the power to go through.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me with this problem
Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Glad they were able to help and you got the satisfaction from fixing it yourself. I always like that and can remind the wife how much money we saved!

Tags
power, voyage