Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Our dealer just received a new 2005 delivered (must have been a odd ball at the end of the line). We've been contemplating a new unit since a 2 slide model is not really what we need and we would like a 3 or 4 slide model.

We are interested in this 40KD but I have a feeling that the dealer is not going to offer much of a discount - which given the fact that 06 models are on the way is surprising. The web site initially said list price was $380,000 Cdn but I figure that had to be off the wall. Turns out that was the case and they have corrected it to $320,000 (about $264k US based on FX rate at the time they received it). They are asking $299,000, which is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, part of the equation is our trade - and they are putting a value of around $140,000 Cdn on it (well equipped and less than 9,000 miles on it).

What would you folks consider a fair price and trade difference?

They have no other new Winnie DPs in stock and nothing due in soon. The alternatives are an 06 Endeavor 38PST and a couple of 05 Endeavor 40PDQ models.

We looked at Newmars yesterday and decided we'd like to give Winnie another shot if we can. My only concern is that now that we appear to have our 39W debugged (they undercoated it last month and appear to have fixed all the problems - although it is too early to say with respect to the floor) I wonder about going back into the pioneering phase again?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Our dealer just received a new 2005 delivered (must have been a odd ball at the end of the line). We've been contemplating a new unit since a 2 slide model is not really what we need and we would like a 3 or 4 slide model.

We are interested in this 40KD but I have a feeling that the dealer is not going to offer much of a discount - which given the fact that 06 models are on the way is surprising. The web site initially said list price was $380,000 Cdn but I figure that had to be off the wall. Turns out that was the case and they have corrected it to $320,000 (about $264k US based on FX rate at the time they received it). They are asking $299,000, which is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, part of the equation is our trade - and they are putting a value of around $140,000 Cdn on it (well equipped and less than 9,000 miles on it).

What would you folks consider a fair price and trade difference?

They have no other new Winnie DPs in stock and nothing due in soon. The alternatives are an 06 Endeavor 38PST and a couple of 05 Endeavor 40PDQ models.

We looked at Newmars yesterday and decided we'd like to give Winnie another shot if we can. My only concern is that now that we appear to have our 39W debugged (they undercoated it last month and appear to have fixed all the problems - although it is too early to say with respect to the floor) I wonder about going back into the pioneering phase again?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hey Don,

Like you said once before, at least Winnie is "the devil you know". I really don't know if any one brand has more or less problems than another. At least with Winnie you know the weaknesses and what to look for. You should be able to find more problems on the PDI and get things made right quicker this time. I don't think any other brand has the level of owner support that this forum provides.

As for price - at a competitive dealer you shouldn't have to pay more than 75% of list on a current model. Since the 05s are basically year-old models now, there's no way you should have to pay more than 75% and probably should be able to get less. The price on your current coach varies so much based on local variables that I wouldn't hazard a guess on that.

I know this is probably not doable or you have already considered it. But, is it possible, since you own property in FL, you could purchase and register your new unit in FL and still be able to take it to Canada in the summer? There's a lot more competition down here (Lazydays).
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Tom - we can't really buy and locate a MH in the US and then bring it in to Canada with US plates.

This is the kind of thing that scares one about any MH - I'm surprised Monaco let it get this far. I get a publication called Warranty Week (via the net) and they had a link to this NY State lemon law case. I do agree with Monaco's view that they should not be paying list.

Monaco lemon law buy back
Old 08-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Don,

We paid about $200,000 (25% discount off of list) for our Horizon 40AD with lots of options and goodies (like the ISL engine.) If you like the Vectra, start looking beyond your dealer if he won't work with you on the dollars.

Work the deal on the coach, then work the deal on the trade-in.

For sure, debugging is an issue. We have been working through little problems and will probably be chasing them for months. Having said that, I like having a coach exactly the way we wanted it and we have a full warranty on everything.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Don, just for reference when deciding how much your dealer can discount on the '05 - A Winnebago dealer in Oklanoma told me that he took 10 40' units as Winne was clearing then out before starting the '06. He indicated that he got them for $10,000 less than his normal cost.

Robert
Old 08-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The problem is we basically have only ONE Winnie dealer within any reasonable distance (the second one has no DP inventory and I've never seen any on its web site). We do have an Itasca dealer no too far away but it rarely has any DP stock and right now has no DPs at all. I'd like to consider this dealer since I think it provides much better service than our Winnie dealer (they did our towing package a year ago and so far everything with it has been flawless). I'm going to contact one of the fellows at the Itasca dealership (he frequents these forums) and see if they can get an 05 Horizon.

Our Winnie dealer is currently asking 93% of list for the Vectra and you know what would have to freeze over before I'd buy it at anything above 80% of list (if I were in the US where you have lots of dealers it would be 75% or less. But when they have you over a barrel what can you do.

This will probably be our last shot at staying with Winnie. I'm just not going to jump through hoops anymore. Having to wait 8 weeks for service and then being scalped on the price a second time is just is not in the cards. My next stop will be Newmar or Travel Supreme - or we will just keep the Journey and live with 2 slides for another year. Frankly, for less than HALF the difference they asked for the only other Vectra they've had this calendar year, we can put in a very nice park model on our lot in FLA that would have more room and we can keep the Journey for summer trips here.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Don - can't you buy in the US where you have lots of dealers and competition?

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:06 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Don - can't you buy in the US where you have lots of dealers and competition?

--John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES BUT, I would have to sell my Journey here privately, the buy in the US and import. I assume I would be able to buy for export in the US and thus state sales tax would not apply. Then, when importing I'd have to pay provincial sales tax and federal goods and services tax as I would when buying here. Only problem is that when trading here I would pay on the net difference and when importing it would be on the actual full selling price. So the deal in the US would have to be about $20,000 better than here just to break even.

There is no question that for a no-trade transaction one can save big buying in the US, but it all fades away unless one can sell privately first and at something above wholesale.

Don