Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2005 Sunova Roof Concern & Question

Hello

Some time back, I had an issue with the roof on my 2005 Sunova. It pulled out from the drivers side frame and billowed while driving like a sail. Luckily, it stayed fastened at the front and rear caps and only pulled out about 50% down the side. It was repaired and all seemed good.

I brought it home today and while washing it, I discovered that it looked a little funky, not quite right. It's completely attached all the way around but it has a pillowy look to it on the drivers side. That is, it looks puffy where before the fiberglass roof laid down flat and smooth, like it was attached or glued down, following the profile of the roof. It's almost like the roof is a couple inches too wide and puffs up because it wasn't properly cut to size. But this is all OEM factory fiberglass. The repair was nothing more than attaching it back to the side rails and then sealing it the entire length.

Was the roof originally glued down? Curious if any one knows what might be going on. I'm now concerned that at highway speeds, that fiberglass will be buffeting around, causing it to 'lift' more from the roof structure.

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, it was originally glued down and, if the repair did not include re-gluing, it was done incorrectly. AZ Expert's Youtube channel has several videos on Winnebago roof repair and replacement, including this one:

From what you describe, you're headed for a major failure.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Yes, it was originally glued down and, if the repair did not include re-gluing, it was done incorrectly. AZ Expert's Youtube channel has several videos on Winnebago roof repair and replacement, including this one:

From what you describe, you're headed for a major failure.
Very confusing to me, but I can say that Winnebago claims that their fiberglass roofs are NOT glued down in any fashion. The fiberglass panels are held in place by the front cap, the rear cap and fastened to both sides by the edge being placed and sealed into a rail.

Many repairs can be done in a variety of ways, including using glue, but that's not the OEM process when new. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Very confusing to me, but I can say that Winnebago claims that their fiberglass roofs are NOT glued down in any fashion. The fiberglass panels are held in place by the front cap, the rear cap and fastened to both sides by the edge being placed and sealed into a rail.

Many repairs can be done in a variety of ways, including using glue, but that's not the OEM process when new. -RT
I stand corrected. After further research, I do see this mentioned on several sites commenting on Winnebago roof repair. Nonetheless, there is something amiss with your repair. I know on my 2002 35U there are some spots where the fiberglass is "bubbled up" but none are very large, the biggest being about 6" or so in diameter, aren't all in one place and do not seem problematical. They also aren't in any area close to an edge.

Your's sound more significant. A photo would help. It would be fantastic if you or a friend had a GoPro or similar camera that could be attached to the roof to video it while driving. There are a number of "GoPro alternatives" for $40 or less, which would be a modest investment to get to the heart of the matter. If there's nothing convenient on which to mount it, you could temporarily screw it down or use 3m VHB tape, which is a very strong, double sided foam tape.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/dtdeal...o-alternative/
Old 09-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Your situation may be worse but you may find this thread helpful:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...m_medium=email

Tags
roof