Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question 2005 Sunova 33L Slide-Out completely dark

Help!

I just picked up a used 2005 Itasca Sunova 33L I bought from Camping World(263 days ago, but that's another story ). I know the slide-out was working(of course, that was a long time ago now) but when I got it home it was completely non-functional. I set the parking brake, made sure the rig was level... nothing, no error codes with flashing lights, nothing. I checked the 40A breaker for the slider and it wasn't popped. I tried it with the motor running and off. Am I doing something wrong? (I mean besides buying it from Camping World of course... lesson learned on that one) Thank you in advance!
Ed2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome,
I am just taking a stab in the dark here for you. Have you made sure the house batteries are connected and in good shape? Did you try the slide plugged into shore power? Does the slide have some sort of lock that holds it in the in position.

Ok with out bashing CW they had it for 263 days for some reason, if it was some sort of repair that was related to or close to the slide could have effected its movement.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for reaching out! The batteries seem to be in good shape, have no access to shore power at the moment... I am assuming that the generator running would mimic shore power? I could try that. There is no "lock" on this model, only a strap that the manual says will not hold the slide in place... regardless, it is missing. I will try it with the generator running and update.

And CW deserves more than a bashing, never again! Having said that, their "repair" was a non-repair as they refused to complete promised repairs. It's a long story... 263 days worth, but it is not related to this issue.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Update - No go on shore power via generator
Old 05-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Maybe some more questions? When you say "dark" does that mean the lights, outlets and such as well as sliding do not work?
If both sliding and lights,outlets are out, that would lead to a different answer than if it is only the slide motion not working.
I think I see the slide mech to be a 12VoltDC operation, so the genset or shore power are less likely to be needed but it is often a good plan to have the engine running to be sure we are getting enough power for the batteries to move the slide.
Since you have checked the big breaker/fuse for the slide, I might lean toward it being one of the smaller fuses which carry the power to the control panel. Not likely to be that big wire to require 40 amp fusing, so there is likely to be other fuse panels with smaller fuses or breakers. Are you aware of other locations besides the 40 amp location?
What do you have at the controls? Any lights or is it totally dark?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Your slide system looks very similar to the one in my 2003 Sunova 30B. It does not have any indicator lights on the control panel during normal operation but it does have a tiny LED light that flashes if there is an error. Of course, you need power to the control panel for that light to flash. Since you have no flashing error light, it sounds like you are on the right path looking at the 12 volt power. It could be that during other repairs, something got accidentally disconnected or a wire got pinched or (with a 2005), something like a ground wire connection could have corroded. Are you comfortable with looking at wiring diagrams and making voltage measurements? If not, a good mobile RV tech could probably track it down for you.

Worst comes to worst while you are trying to get it fixed, you can use the manual cranks to bring the slide in and out. I know it is a pain but doable. I've been there! Just don't over-crank it and damage the screw mechanism.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

A big point we often miss is that this will be a 12VDC motor that does pull a fair amount of power that needs to have heavy wires and requires a 40amp fuse to protect against problem in that wire but it is all controlled by the panel and they can't run that great big wire to the little bitty switch! Much like the car ignition switch, they use a small wire to the control and that wiring requires small breakers to protect it and then the signal is run through relays to control the big stuff. Relays are sometimes called "slave relays" because they are like the boss who controls the slave to do the real work!
So my thinking is that if you don't have any lights on the control, the "boss" is likely not getting any power so we need to look for the breaker or fuse for the small guy and it is often in a different location.
Not the final answer and we can look deeper with more info. Just the easier first step.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Do any of the interior lights work? Is the salesman switch on? Did you plug in the cord into the box after starting the generator?
Old 05-31-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

So first thing - Thank you all so much for jumping in to help me with this!!!! When they told me this is a community, they weren't kidding! You all have responded faster and more often than the GM at Camping World.

So, let me clarify a few things. And let me start by saying since this unit is new to me I do not know how this system "normally" works. I know it did work because I tested it when I bought it. Again, that was 263 days from delivery so I don't remember what the LEDs looked like, etc. On the control panel, there are 2 push button switches and 2 LEDs - My understanding is that the green one above the "Out" switch is for error codes and the red one above "In" is an indicator for the parking brake not being engaged. I'm not sure if these LEDs serve any other purpose, but when I say "dark" I meant I am not getting anything to light (even with the parking brake off).

Bones2003 - I am comfortable tracing wires and using a meter/reading schematics. I just can't find any decent information on this system. I usually like to read the map before I take the journey. I may have to wing it on this trip. I'd be a whole lot happier if I had an error code to point the way.

Morich - I am guessing the 40A breaker is for the motors, I do not see any smaller for the controls. There are breakers(smaller) but none are called out for the slider control... I will dig deeper and see if I can find something else, (maybe fuses somewhere). As far as lights go, all the lights on the slide side work fine. Still no access to shore power at the moment... and the generator ran for about 10 minutes and quit(Hmmmmm, making lemonade out of my lemon??) Won't start now, plenty of gas... I'm guessing the fuel filter or pump.

Campering - While I had the generator running, the unit was plugged into the outlet. No difference.

All - Going forward, Camping World did not do any repair so we can rule that out as a cause. Once they had my money, they jerked me around, made promises, lied about status, and then(once they realized how much it was going to cost them) stiffed me on the promised repairs.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #10
WinnieAdven38

Kind of hard to reply accurately without more model details.

1st - is your slide out system HWH Hydraulic? Or electric?

If HWH it is powered by the engine battery - not the house. So your engine battery has to have a good charge.
2nd - check fuses. If HWH there are fuses there right on the control circuit board.
These fuses may blow if the engine battery charge is too low (Low voltage = higher amp draw by the motor. Higher amp draw can mean blown fuse)

If you are not getting any response always check fuses 1st.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Sounds like time to check for smaller fuses than the 40 amp. That fuse will feed the big power items like the motor to move the slide but if you are getting no lights which is the part which requires small power and small fusing, it leaves the control dead and then nothing moves.
with lights in the slide working, that lets you look only at the control power circuit, not something more like dead batteries. But do make sure that you are doing the process correctly like having the engine running, any control key on, etc. since it is a new to you item, it is easy to forget one small point that kills the whole deal.

Tags
slide