Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We currently own a 2004 Scottsdale by Newmar. We can't drive it any more because our backs can't take any more banging and bouncing. We are thinking of trading on a 2005 Suncruiser 35 U.Any opinions on them would be welcome, Thanks
Jerry Logan
jerry7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We currently own a 2004 Scottsdale by Newmar. We can't drive it any more because our backs can't take any more banging and bouncing. We are thinking of trading on a 2005 Suncruiser 35 U.Any opinions on them would be welcome, Thanks
Jerry Logan
Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

we love our 2001 and it drives like a caddilac
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We had a 2003 Suncruiser 33V on a Workhorse W20 chassis. It was a nice coach and we were happy with it. We upgraded to a diesel because of a number of things but as a gasser the Suncruiser was a good coach.

My only concern is that you seem to feel that your 2004 Scottsdale bangs and bounces. I am assuming that the Scottsdale is also on a W series chassis so I don't really see how it should ride that much different than the Suncruiser. Naturally, there's lots of variables in coaches so it's possible that your Scottsdale isn't set up or balanced as well as the Suncruiser. If that's the case you may find that the Suncruiser does indeed ride better. I would be sure to test drive it real well and compare it before deciding.

The other possibility is that you may be expecting more than a gas chassis can deliver. No gas chassis will ride as well as a diesel chassis. If you want more out of the coach you may want to consider going to an entry level diesel coach, like the Newmar Kountry Star or Itasca Meridian. I think you'll find there's a big difference in ride. It's something I would test drive before making a decision then pick whichever one you're more comfortable with.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Before you give up on you Scottsdale check out answer on workhorse forum posts w-24. What ever coach you have if you don't load it right an adjust air pressures you will not be a happy camper ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Dear 007, that is a common excuse for a bad design of a motorhome.I and probably everyone on here has herd it many times.Do me a favor take a look at this storage compartments on the Scottsdale, the size and placement of them then explain how one could incorectly load the coach. The tire pressure does very little to help the banging, we have tried it.I have also wieghed each item before i placed it in the coach.Should Newmar take into consideration when they design a coach where the storage compartments are? EXAMPLE:largest compartment farthest behind the rear axle.Smallest toward the front.Is that responsible manufacturing?We have been considering a 2005 Suncruiser I believe the storage compartments are between the wheels,good place for them eh?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Jerry, we went from a Suncruiser 35U to a Scottsdale 3257 and while we had a problem with porpoising in the beginning Workhorse replaced our (and a multitude of others) shocks. We now have Monroe and it's improved it a great deal.

I will tell you that your not going to find a significant improvement just by going to a Suncruiser. While we liked the general layout of the 35U after some time I got tired of the bathroom layout not to mention the quality. Hard to believe that the Scottsdale is cheaper yet the quality is much better as well as the newmar taking care of warranty work far better than Winnebago.

When we had a problem with porposing they had the service center weigh the coach to be sure we weren't overloaded or had uneven weight distribution. We were not anywhere near weight limits and the distribution was fine.

Previous posts are correct, you are't going to solve the bouncing problem just by spending more money on a Suncruiser. If you haven't already had Workhorse change your shocks I would suggest you start with that. If you do feel you need to upgrade, look at the 35V layout. It's got a better bath layout and is the most popular floorplan.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Nedra,what is a 35V? I am not sure that exsists.We have had the shocks changed but all that did was make it ride hard.I just see alot of engineering blunders on our Scottsdale.When you compare floor plan,switch placement,door opening width, hall way space,standard features like drivers door,1 peice roof,ease and quickness of slide opening and closing Winnebago blows Newmar away.Winnebago's are much more user friendly.Newmar has very good fit and finish,but they "sell the sizzle and not the steak".The last time i was in my Scottsdale I whacked my head twice,you have to turn sideways to walk threw it,and there is always someone or something in my way.Things are falling apart and when you look at the problems this answer is clear,bad engineering.We also have the worst wheelbase to length ratio on the market, thats why it bounces so badly.Newmar stretched our frame and installed 19.5" tires on a W22 instead of 22.5" tires to save money.I could go on but i will spare you the agony.I test drove a 35U on a W22 and it felt much more stable on the road but i am not totally sure (don't want to make another mistake).A salesman at General RV in Michigan told me that Newmar has a roll or rock from side to side that Winnebago does not have because they use more wood in the floor structure where Winnebago uses more steel.They sell both products there so i don't think he has reason to lie.This weekend we will look again. Jerry Logan
Old 03-11-2005, 04:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I beleive he might have meant the 35A vice 35V (no such animal). 35A is a triple slide on a W-24 chassis. Really nice floor plan.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Jerry I meant the 33V or the new 35A. Well thank goodness your opinion is not necessarily that of the majority of Newmar owners. The Scottsdale is an entry level coach...the Suncruiser is considered a high end gas (comparable to the Mountain Air). Yes, they try to keep the costs down because it is afterall entry level. I think the RV dealer in Michigan is trying to sell you a new coach.

We don't have a problem and most people I've talked to don't. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. You want high end quality, you have to buy a high end unit. We had more of a problem side to side with our Itasca. In buying the Scottsdale you were buying hamburger when it sounds like you expected filet minon.

These engineering blunders you speak of are interesting...one piece roof (upgrade to higher end unit), quickness of slide (different typs of slides-not an engineering blunder), narrow hallway and no room to move around...well we've had ours for 2 years with 4 golden retrievers and neither hubby or I are what you would call thin and we have NEVER had to walk sideways. We can actually walk through with one of our dogs by our side. Yes we have whacked our head once or twice on the slide but that's not an engineering problem. Most entry and midlevel coaches do not have high ceilings on the slide-outs, it's not an engineering blunder. Sounds to me perhaps you should look at an Alfa See Ya or perhaps buy a 40 ft dp with quad slides.
Drivers door is now an option on the Scottsdale, but again, since Scottsdale is an entry level coach most entry level coaches do not have driver door as standard.

I would do some serious shopping and thinking before making a decision to buy a new rig. Doesn't sound like your going to be happy regardless of what you buy. And if you don't like the small hallway in the Scottsdale your gonna just love the bath in the 35U.

Test driving is one thing...living in it with all your belongings is another. Perhaps you might seriously want to reconsider.

And why would the dealer lie...your not happy and he playing into your complaints about this entry level unit that is so horrible. He wants to make you happy by selling you a new more expensive rig that will, perhaps, make you happy for a while and then you will come back again complaining about that one and he'll sell you another unit. I don't see any reason why he would lie...I mean afterall what would he have to gain?
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well put Nedra, an some of the more expensive MH's can have the simplest problems that will drive you nuts also. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your opinion nedra, Jerry Logan
Old 03-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

We picked up a new SUncruiser 38r in Buffalo Jan 25th and drove to FL. The 38r is basically a stretched 35u. My 38r is on the W24 chassis.
Our former coach was a Vectra.

My wife comment how comfortable her seat was. We have the option power ultra-leather seats. My wife commented that when she closed her eyes she felt like she was floating in your seat. The seats in the '05 Suncruiser are extremely comfortable. I sugesst you go for a test drive or if you're in the Crystal River area stop and see us and I'll take you for a drive.

[email protected]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jerry,

I had a 1997 diesel pusher on a Frieghtliner chassis, Cummins 230 HP, air bag suspension. I now have an WI Adventurer 37B W22 (see sig.). The Adventurer rides and handles beautifully. I have not done any of the shocks or trac bar add ons. I like the Adventurer better plus my cost per mile has gone down because I can do my own maintenance. If your looking to get rid of your present coach, I'd say you'd be happy with an Adventurer. Just another opinion for you.

Life is short. Have fun.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote