Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Meridian 36P water heater throwing flames

I went to lite my water heater yesterday after inspecting all connectors and wiring.
Hit the switch to lite it up walked outside and flames were coming up the outside of the water heater. I blew it out before any wires were spooked. I reset it and it did the same three more consecutive times. Any ideas what on earth this could be? It's never done this before.
Why not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Some critters crawl in there? Just a guess. Let us know what you find out.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I would suggest getting professional help before youre whole rig goes up in smoke, or god forbid someone gets hurt. The most important thing a person could know is there limitations.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That happens alot and usually means a weak spark from the DSI igniter cause it's dirty or corroded. That means that instead of lighting up right away when the gas flow starts, it waits a bit till some gas builds up and POP. The POP force is enough to blow out the flame and it happens all over again. It is a pretty simple process to change or clean the igniter, or you can have it done.

Makes a very impressive noise. LOL
Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

CONTINUOUS flames? That is really weird. Something wrong witht the gas valve or the flame orifice. Or the entire flame path is blocked up with nests or something and the flame is backing up without adequate air flow. You will need to take it all apart and clean it, but maybe best to have it looked at. Please post the resolution so we can all l,earn
Old 05-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why not View Post
I went to lite my water heater yesterday after inspecting all connectors and wiring.
Hit the switch to lite it up walked outside and flames were coming up the outside of the water heater. I blew it out before any wires were spooked. I reset it and it did the same three more consecutive times. Any ideas what on earth this could be? It's never done this before.
Thanks everyone for their response. I worked on it some today and the same results. I am disassembling from the valve out tomorrow to give it an eye in tube inspection. Flame does not stay on the valve shuts off after a few seconds. The inline diode bypass did not make a difference. I will keep you posted. Till then the 110V is still working 🚍
Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

No luck, disassembled from valve out. Light pilot three times, never lights the heater. Flames are minimal now and can just easily blow.
Ok someone suggested going all the way up the heat tube with hanger to assure nothing was blocking. I did everything to try and get dust to even come out so nothing still.
I've checked diode, I think I'm at a loss but refuse to give up. After 35 years with these things I've learned never give up��
Old 06-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked the adjustable air valve. As you look at the heater it has a single screw holding it in place. The book says start wit a 1/4 inch gap and adjust flame until it burns smoothly. Mine was rusted and was hard to move it and I removed the flat panel on the out put side of the burn tube and got spiders and all type of dead bugs out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Issue resolved

So I'm at work, needed alcohol "not single barrel" to clean a part.
I said to myself, hum maybe I'll completely take it apart, I'm almost there anyway and use this industrial stuff?!?!?!?
Took down to tank and boards. Cleaned it all, including the pop off. Put it all back together. Went aboard flipped switch, come out plugged in igniter , it sparked right up. Adjust fresh air flow. Went thru three cycles, while piddling. Works like a new one. So here is my lesson learned. take it all apart first time, clean,clean,clean.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why not View Post
So I'm at work, needed alcohol "not single barrel" to clean a part.
I said to myself, hum maybe I'll completely take it apart, I'm almost there anyway and use this industrial stuff?!?!?!?
Took down to tank and boards. Cleaned it all, including the pop off. Put it all back together. Went aboard flipped switch, come out plugged in igniter , it sparked right up. Adjust fresh air flow. Went thru three cycles, while piddling. Works like a new one. So here is my lesson learned. take it all apart first time, clean,clean,clean.
Some times it is as simple as blowing air thru the burner tube because spiders and things get in there when it is not used.

Don

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater