Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a new 2005 Journey 36 G that I will pick up in about 2 weeks, what are your experience's with the Journey and any tips on what to look for during the PDI?
Thanks,
journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a new 2005 Journey 36 G that I will pick up in about 2 weeks, what are your experience's with the Journey and any tips on what to look for during the PDI?
Thanks,
journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Journey, I am picking up my 2005 Itasca Meridian 34H in a week. I asked the same questions, with very little response form anyone. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Shawn
Old 03-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 Journey that we purchased new in May 2004. We love it and have had only a couple of problems. The TV rattles and the overhead fan in the bedroom makes too much noise. Have appointment to get these things fixed next month. Just wish I could figure out a way to get 15 to 20 MPG. LOL
I no sooner bought the DP when the cost of diesel fuel started soaring. I think I have come up with a way to get the cost of diesel fuel to come down, sell my DP and invest the proceeds in oil stock. It's almost a given that diesel fuel cost would go through the toilet. As they say on HeHaw "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all". Now don't you guys flood me with offers to buy my DP, just kidding you know!!!!
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If you have the automatic winterization feature (bypass water heater, etc.), make certain it works properly. It took me 3 visits to get the auto-winterization feature to work properly on my 03 Journey.
Annie K. and Sparky
03 Journey DL36 LD
04 Saturn L300 toad
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You fellows don't indicate where you live. If your coaches are being delivered to your location via snow and slush with salt on the roads MAKE SURE that your dealer power washes the entire undercarriage as soon as it arrives.

We have had a severe rust problem. We took delivery of our unit on May 28 and since we've had it it has never seen snow and salt (it is with us in Florida now). It was delivered to the dealer in February and went through the 3 "S's" - snow, slush and SALT. The undercarriage has a lot of rust (see photos). Winnebago gave these photos to Freightliner and they have both washed their hands of the problem Winnie saying "Freightliner have placed the responsibility upon the RV dealer for not performing the proper procedures when they received the motor home." Some help that is to us.

Our warranty expires on May 28th. I called our dealer last week and they said first available appointment for warranty service is May 18th. When I gasped they said, "well, make it the 11th then." I have several items in addition rust issue (thanks to itchin, I found all the bolts holding the generator in are missing - and that is when I found out how severe the rust is). If they leave me hanging I'm simply going to ask my lawyer to handle it. I figure enough is enough already. When we had the coach 2 months we called the dealer and said we've let the items accumulate and since we are going on a trip shortly we will bring it in next week (like I do with my GM dealer) and wait while you fix them. Response - sorry, first appointment is 6 weeks from now. One items was a steering wheel 90 degrees off centre and I was adamant that I was not going on a long trip with the wheel like that. Winnie said get it fixed anywhere you can and send us the bill. I had an Itasca dealer do it but he really wouldn't look at anything else since he didn't make the profit on the sale (mind you, I spent $3k with him for my tow package - but that doesn't count I guess). We got back from our trip and a month later would be heading to Florida for the winter. Called the dealer - ha, still 6 weeks for service. So we had to delay our departure. They had the coach for 3 weeks and when I picked it up it was clear it sat for 2 weeks with nothing done. Several items were only partially fixed and some were made worse. Yes, life sucks when you deal with the biggest Winnie dealer in Ontario. I sure wish I'd known that the Itasca dealer existed since it is a small, family operated low volume shop that sells 50 units a year new and used and appears to treat its customers properly.

I had some Freightliner and Cat issues - including a recall for each. No problem getting appointments including the 6 month Allison filter change and chassis lube - really good service and nice to deal with (other than the fact that they hate MHs because of the tough access).

Anyway, here is why you have to make sure they power wash off the salt.

Rust
Old 03-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Journey:

We just got a 2002 36G and so far we love it. Previous owner dealt with any initial problems. I've found a few minor things but I'm pretty handy and don't mind tinkering. According to the original sticker, our's had factory undercoating. I did find some rust on on the frame and trailer hitch at the rear of the coach, but a wire brush and spray undercoating took care of that.

Overall, we feel the coach is a good value. It seems well constructed and has more than enough creature comforts. It drives and rides nice, much better than my previous gas motorhome on a P-30 chassis.

Before deciding on a Journey, we talked to Journey owners at CG's in Florida and Myrtle Beach, VA, compared them to others at RV shows, and asked for feedback on this forum. Overall, we got good feedback on the Journey.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have had a severe rust problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't want to hijack this thread, but a comment about Don's rust.

We are now in Perry, GA for the FMCA convention and I talked to the Freightliner Custom Chassis factory people that are here about the rust issue. Granted the guy I talked to is hardly a mechanical engineer, but he claims the surface rust is a cosmetic issue which I would tend to believe. Having said that, if I had the rust you had it would drive me BONKERS and I wouldn't like it one bit!! I would be under the coach with Ospho (sp?) slapping that stuff on and painting the results.

I am not smart enough to understand what rust is innocuous and which rust could wind up being a serious problem in time; however rust on a tank would be a concern to me. Rust on a piece of steel that is 3" x 5" would not bother me too much except for the cosmetic issue (which I would hate!)

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don,
If it were my coach and you can't get anywhere. I would get a few spray cans of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or a similar product. You can get it in black. Spray as much of the frame as you can. Claims to stop rust cold. Eastwood is a quality company.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I believe that is another brand of Ospho, or "Extend". It works for a while, but must be painted. But paint will eventually need to be re-painted. If you really want to put an end to rust, once and for all, POR-15 is it. A small can goes a long long way, but once it's opened, should be used up, because it is cured by the presence of moisture. It's used a lot in the marine environment, as you might expect. I have no connection with this company or product. Just passin' along what I hope you will find as useful information. POR-15 Link
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:37 AM   #11
rg
Winnebago Camper

We have an 04 36g. We have not had a problem so far. I have 21,000 miles on it so far. Great lay out. I have other brand coach owners over for tours and the comments are "wish ours had this". They thought about people living in it. Remember every one can say it should have had this or that then maybe they should have bought the Vectra. Again we love it and it has been great to us.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2002 Journey DL 39QD, which we purchased used. The MH has 22K miles on it and neither the previous owner nor I have had any issues with this MH.

We are very pleased with our MH and I would not hestitate to purchase another Winnebago.

Good luck with your new purchase and enjoy the MH.

Larry

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Journey. It has had it's share of problems but, compared to some other brands, it is a gem.

<LI>The generator circuit board went out almost immediately. Warranty took care of it.

<LI>The bedroom pocket door jumps the track and slams against the wall while going down the road. The dealer has replaced the track twice but it continues to be a problem. It is a design flaw.

<LI>The engine battery has a parasitic drain and the only way around it is a trickle charger. The 2006 model offers a kill switch. Insist that your dealer have this installed before you take delivery.

<LI>The windshield wiper assembly has fallen apart twice. Take a right and a left replacement with you. They are difficult to find and not just any parts store will stock them.

The ride is good, the layout is great and overall, I feel that I got a lot of bang for the buck.

Steve
Old 03-27-2005, 03:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Another happy 36G owner here. We have had ours 10 months and have 10,000 miles on it. We are in Kissimmee for spring break now.
Walt
Old 03-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Unfortunately some of our rust is more than surface - welds and tank seams. We will be at FTL in Gaffney next month for annual service and I plan to have them inspect it and if they will, give me a written report (an recommendations as to what can be done).

An engineer friend of mine was with Loctite for several years(Extend is their product) and I've discussed this with him. I will have to treat it with something if FTL, Winnie and the dealer refuse (will probably sue the dealer though since I think their failure to follow FTL's instructions to power wash, their poor service and the long waits for service are absurd and IMO amount to a breach of contract - and if my lawyer agrees then I will go ahead if they think they can walk away from my MH and do nothing).

As I said in another thread, I think Winnie should take a good look at its dealer structure and axe those who can't do the job. I guess the only problem with that idea is that they might have to axe half their dealers.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

In 2001 when we were shopping for our 35u we found one in Canton, OH that was a great deal until you looked underneath. It was very rusted and corroded. The dealer had taken it to several winter RV shows in Ohio in Jan and Feb. It was horrible. One winter later we came back from Florida in early Feb after a snow storm in Kentucky and Tenn. Lots of salt and gravel on the road. By summer the underneath was a mess. It rusted very quickly. I painted noticable areas with rustolem. It just came back 6 months later.

Last year when I ordered my 37b I ordered it with undercoating from Winnebago It was less than $300. After any winter trip I have it powerwashed underneath just to be sure.
If it is going to be on the road in the northeast in the winter I would get any coach undercoated.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We have been very happy with our Journey. We've put 7000 miles on it in 11 months. The biggest problem we've had is a TV that rattles from time to time.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 Journey 39K with about 15k miles. Have been back to dealer about 5-6 times (including today) and have had an assortment of small to important issues. One that seems to be common is the steering wheel being out of position (mine about 30deg) which they told me today that "that is an adjustment" that Winnebago will only fix during the first 90 days. I've had to replace the air horn solenoid, the printed circuit in the info center which gives you the tank levels, etc., the floor tiles (2), the remote generator start switch on the info center, and had a small leak in the black tank valve. The most frustrating thing is the ALWAYS have to order the parts, which means another service day when they finally come in. The latest part we are waiting for is a new rubber gasket which surrounds the bedroom slide out. That gasket is supposed to keep the water out, ours directs it in when we have had it out in the rain and retract it. The water appeared in the storage bins located in the bedroom and closet behind the bed. There is apparently a redesign going on to prevent this by way of an improved gasket.
Hope this gives you a few things to look for. Oh, we had the TV rattle problem, but one of the techs fixed it in short order and it is absolutely solid now.
Sounds like a long list, but we absolutely love the MH and have not found anything we would want more. Can't wait for each trip to begin.
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm. We got our passports out of the bin in the closet today. My DW said they are warped and they must have been wet. Now you have me thinking.

Over the past two weeks we've had two new things to worry about. Water (or a liquid that seems to be water) leaking on the curb side. First time was just in front of the battery tray. next time was through the compartment just in front of the LP tank (below the fridge). It only lasted a few hours in each case. We are wondering if it is a defrosting process with the fridge.

Anyone else have water in these areas?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:21 AM   #20
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Check the overflow for the refrige. If it puts out a lot of moisture the overflow cup will fill up and spill out. Also if you fill your fresh water tank from the city water connection without first opening the locked fresh water fill on the passengers side when the tank fills up and overflows it will run into the comartment thats underneath. With the comartment open water will simply run out into the street.