Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2005 Itasca Sunova Battery/converter Issue?

I have a 2005 Itasca Sunova and I think I may have a converter issue but not sure. My batteries are fully charged. I’m plugged into shore power. When I turn on certain lights or the water heater the converter fan stops running. If there are overhead lights on my water heater won’t function. All the lights on my levels are lit even though I know they aren’t all full. The heater tries to run but won’t at all. The solar panel says that it’s not charging. Any ideas?
Imsusigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Team

What happens when you are not plugged into shore power?
Old 04-26-2023, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

To begin to sort the problem we need to get some specifics out of the way, so some questions need to be asked first!
Sorry to seem difficult but these things are not simple at times and asking the right questions upfront can get you fixed much quicker if we don't wander around too much!
One big question is which exact RV you have as there are many differences in smaller or larger and to look at drawings of the RV, we have to get down to the right year, make as well as model!
In the 2005 Sunova, there are six models, can you sort down to which you have?

Name:   sunov.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  15.8 KB

That will allow us to sort down to get the right plan..
But in the meantime some questions may help to make sure we are chasing the right electrical system.
Can you give us more info on what you are seeing/hearing when you say the heater tries but will not run? Do you mean the furnace or another heater like a small electrical heater?
The difference is in the furnace uses 12VDC, while the other small heater likely uses 110AC power from an outlet?? Do you have an AC or DC power issue?

Since the monitor is not any help as it seems to have lost it's "mind" for all things to have failed, I suspect you will need a meter to test the batteries and connections.
It sounds like there is a simple item like a dirty ground or positive battery connection at some point. Good DC battery supply is needed for many things. Things like the monitor, furnace controls, and lights all need good 12VDC.

When you mention doing one electrical thing changes another, it leads me to believe you are only gettting a small amount of battery supply to those, so using more power on one, makes the other not get enought to work correctly.

It "could" be as diffficult as shorts or defects of that sort but it is much more common to have dirty, corroded connections!

Testing the battery voltages at the batteries will be a first step as they are the "foundation" that all the rest is built on.

If no meter is on hand, try starting the RV engine as that may let the engine alternator provide the power needed to help many of the coach things like lights and monitor operateand that will be a definite clue!

It may help or it may not if cables are the problem.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds to me like the water heater plus the battery charger and lights are overloading the converter..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sounds to me like the water heater plus the battery charger and lights are overloading the converter..
Would that make it a 12VDC water heater? I was assuming it would be 110AC if electrical and only the controls using 12VDC if propane only?

But that is part of the guessing until we know WHICH Rv.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The water heater should have a 12v igniter for Propane operation. So, without 12v available on the RV the water heater can't light while on Propane.

But that would be the only involvement of the Converter in the operation of the water heater.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

With the problem seeming to be mostly things that require 12VDC, that is where I was thinking unless there were other details. the monitor being lit may be confsuing the issues?
More questions than answers at times!
Old 04-27-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My EWAG was, if the converter is perhaps only rated for 35-45A DC, it was pulling it's maximum and drawing from the incoming AC supply so much thee WH 120V heater could not operate.
However that might be completely wrong.
The only way to discover some reasons is with using a multi-meter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If the converter were working full bore and the combined water heater and converter AC load is too high, the voltage from the hsore power doesn't drop noticably as it just trips the breaker when we exceed it's limit.
They do not mention that but that is where we need more info on what's happening!

They may have solved it and gone on their way! Or they may just not be too driven. Maybe they are still in a snowbank and the RV is not a big priority??
Old 04-27-2023, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Folks... the OP joined, posted this thread and has never returned once since. So, until they do, we have no idea what has transpired after his post was made.
Old 04-27-2023, 01:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've heard of new users getting so frustrated they just catch fire and burn!

I did see a lot of flashing lights and crashing noises last night but I assumed it was just a storm!!

Tags
battery, converter, itasca