Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

OK, so I just ordered an Itasca Meridian 34H. I know there has to be some of you out there that own a 2005 Meridian and can share some of your experiences with me. I would like to know wht to expect in April when i get my new coach. Thank you in advance for your input.

Listed below is what I have ordered:

2005 Itasca meridian 34h
Graphite Full Body Paint
Silver Sage Green Interior
Z-Package
Window Awnings
MultiDisc CD Changer
Two Tray Slideout
Dining Table and 4 Chairs
2KW Inverter
Lounge Chair, Ultra Leather
Protective Mask
Satellite Radio
Rear Stereo System
Double Door Refrigerator
Resteasy Multi Position Lounge Ultra Leather
Satellite Dish, Automatic
Washer Dryer Combo

Shawn
Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

OK, so I just ordered an Itasca Meridian 34H. I know there has to be some of you out there that own a 2005 Meridian and can share some of your experiences with me. I would like to know wht to expect in April when i get my new coach. Thank you in advance for your input.

Listed below is what I have ordered:

2005 Itasca meridian 34h
Graphite Full Body Paint
Silver Sage Green Interior
Z-Package
Window Awnings
MultiDisc CD Changer
Two Tray Slideout
Dining Table and 4 Chairs
2KW Inverter
Lounge Chair, Ultra Leather
Protective Mask
Satellite Radio
Rear Stereo System
Double Door Refrigerator
Resteasy Multi Position Lounge Ultra Leather
Satellite Dish, Automatic
Washer Dryer Combo

Shawn
Old 01-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #3

Shawn,

Unless you like to entertain, I think you'll find the extra loung to be uncomfortable and a waste of money. We did the same and changed to the computer table with the reclinder. I look at our coach, as an extension of our home and want the same comforts.

I also think the Dinnett package with the computer cabinet offers more comfort and more storage, and you don't have to store the chairs. We haved the computer cabinet with the dinning table, which pulls out to serve 4 people. It works fine and affords us a little extra storage.

It sounds like to took your time making the selection, but did you really consider all the comforts that you have at home. If you didn't, it will come back to haunt you later and the cost to change later are really high.

Tomcat F15
"Nothing like having a Recliner to set back an relax."
Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tomcat. The lounge chair is a recliner, and we ordered the table and chairs. So in the scenario that I ordered, i can only sleep 4 people which is good since there is only 2 of us.

Shawn
Old 01-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Shawn, check your PM again please.

Don
Old 01-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There are only two of us, but we got the 36G.

Here are our decisions with comments. Don't take this as criticism. Each couple is different.

I did not like the idea of a galley being on a slide. A galley has enough stress on all the plumbing being in a coach, to put it on a slide seemed a bit much --

We got the dinette rather than table and four chairs -- Our previous unit -- a fifth wheel -- had the table and four chairs, but we lost the storage, and on one short trip her cousin and two daughters came to visit, they had to sleep on the floor. I also thought that walking in a moving coach would be safer to have solid furniture attached to the floor.

We also opted for the banquette rather than the swivel chair. Again, more storage, and more seat belt positions for guests.

We got the single door fridge -- we like to stop often for fresh food -- and did not want to lose one of the pantries.

We got the 2000 W inverter -- you are going to love this. Can use the microwave without genset running.

No washer/dryer -- save the money now, too much water use, and we would rather use the campground laundromat and run four loads in parallel. The storage gained is great -- extra space for dirty clothes basket and extra beach towels.

We skipped the satellite totally -- we RV because we like to see the outdoors -- not watch TV. But we do have a modest DVD collection for rain days. Also -- great progress is being made in Satellite/Internet combos.. we will wait a few years for the technology to mature.

No CD changer, no rear sound system, no window awnings-- I guess we are too tight with money.

But we love our coach.

Walt
Old 01-21-2005, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Kiwi, as usual your advice is taken as constructive criticism. As you said, every couple is different and LOL, we are anything but the norm. Below are some notes on how I was thinking in making this purchase, this is my first motorhome and I am sure that when I buy my second I will do some things differently.

I did consider the fact that the galley is on the slide, time will tell whether this proves to be a problem. However, the size of my garage was the limiting and determining factor in which size coach I purchased. I would have glady purchased a 36, but unfortunately my garage is only 37' deep and the 36 would have been to tight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We got the dinette rather than table and four chairs -- Our previous unit -- a fifth wheel -- had the table and four chairs, but we lost the storage, and on one short trip her cousin and two daughters came to visit, they had to sleep on the floor. I also thought that walking in a moving coach would be safer to have solid furniture attached to the floor.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On this subject, I thought long and hard. I recognized that we lose the storage, seatbelts, and sleeping space. That is exactly what I wanted. As you can tell from my avatar I race cars. This purchase is purely for me and the traveling I do racing. We opted for the table and chairs because it makes the 34 seem as though it is a bit more roomier that the dinette. The other key factor is that I will never need or want more than 2 other people traveling/staying with me. There are quite a few people at the races that will quickly become my friend when they see I have a place to stay. The less space the easier it is to say, sorry.....no vacancy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We also opted for the banquette rather than the swivel chair. Again, more storage, and more seat belt positions for guests.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The banquette was on my list and then I thought about the recliner that I have in my living room that I never leave when I am home. I tested out the recliner and no, its not nearly as comfortable as my home recliner, but when I am at the races it will be the next closest thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We got the single door fridge -- we like to stop often for fresh food -- and did not want to lose one of the pantries.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I missed this one, I thought the standard fridge was a double door, just no icemaker. Hmmmm. In the 34 we actually have an additional pantry that we would not have gotten if we went for the 4 door fridge. I don't plan on spending more than 2 days at a time in this thing and the smaller fridge is fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We got the 2000 W inverter -- you are going to love this. Can use the microwave without genset running.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear many good things about this option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No washer/dryer -- save the money now, too much water use, and we would rather use the campground laundromat and run four loads in parallel. The storage gained is great -- extra space for dirty clothes basket and extra beach towels.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wanted this, my girlfriend said NO! LOL, time will tell if this option proves its worth. Although it was an added cost, I felt that I needed to get it. The worst thing that happens is I don't use it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We skipped the satellite totally -- we RV because we like to see the outdoors -- not watch TV. But we do have a modest DVD collection for rain days. Also -- great progress is being made in Satellite/Internet combos.. we will wait a few years for the technology to mature.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Satellite is a must at the races, I am not really a camper, however I can see your point that you would want to spend more tim ewith nature than watchig TV. You can do that at home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No CD changer, no rear sound system, no window awnings-- I guess we are too tight with money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These options were just nice to haves and after 145k, whats another 3k in options.

Again, thank you very much for your input. I definietly madea more educated decision based on everyones recommendations.

Shawn
Old 01-21-2005, 05:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Okay, we have the same fridge. I called mine the single door fridge (with single door freezer).

You are correct, the big one that we did not get is actually called the 4 door.

You may like this rig so much, you actually become an RVer.

I have never been to a car race. Someone told me that, "With that nice RV you should go to the car races."

Now I have to start looking for some tracks. I think I would be more interested in Grand Prix European style rally races than NASCAR.... is that still done?

Walt
Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I believe so, however I am a drag racer. But having a motorhome at any race is fun and makes life much easier.

Shawn
Old 01-21-2005, 05:50 AM   #10
rg
Winnebago Camper

We have an 04 36' Journey. I take the kids racing dirt bikes with it.

We have the four door refrig and love the ice maker. The refrig will hold an eight pack of Gator Aid on the shelf. It has three drawers and the right hand side drawer fits over sized bottles.

The inverter is worth it.

We use Sat radio and love it.

I wish we had the auto locating Sat dish. When at the track we check the weather and it is nice to have when waiting on the next race. On our previous Journey we had in motion. It worked but went out with trees and over passes.

I wish it had the docking light option. We show up late at night a lot and that would a good option. I even believe the remote spot would be good.

If they could wire the second camera channel from the back up camera to a plug at the rear of the RV I would put a camera on the rear of my trailer. It can get tight getting in and out of race track parking.

You probably have a separate generator for your trailer. I have one to but I am going to have an quick release 110 plug put in the rear of the RV so the trailer can get basic 110 from the RV generator. It would good for when we stop for supplies or late night race track setup.

We did not get the window awnings option. We made the mistake of using the windows at one race and the inside was covered with dust. Plus we were over whelmed with race bike exhaust.

I advise getting the Gen-Turi generator exhaust system. When living off of the generator when the wind blows wrong it will drive you crazy when sitting outside under the awning.

I have two slide out drawers in the storage area and they are great.

If they offer the GPS system it is worth it. I tried the Magellan and returned it for the Garmin. The Garmin (I think 6020) is awesome. It will tell you where the Wallmarts and close by campgrounds are.

Food for thought from a racing RV family.

I forgot this has been a great RV minimmal problems well thought out layout.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NHRAF145:
I believe so, however I am a drag racer. But having a motorhome at any race is fun and makes life much easier.

Shawn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, I saw your picture, looks like you were giving it a shot of nitrous...
Only drag racing I ever did was as a dumb teenager out on country roads with an old ford I had. Pretty dangerous now that I look back.
W.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

HAHAHA! No Nitrous, all horsepower. 720 to be exact.

Shawn
Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Ok everyone........my coach has arrived at the dealer. I have an appointment to pick it up on the 30th. I have to say that the Graphite full body paint is better than I expected. I was a little nervous ordering something that I have never seen in the flesh.

Since I am new to this game I need you all to tell me what I need to look for on my PDI. I want to make a checklist of things that you all tell you've had problems with so I can have the dealer fix them before I even take the unit home.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
Old 03-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Shawn: Congratulations on the new coach. We enjoy our 34H. PDI is important and you'll find a few things, ours was too few to mention. But, keep an eye on the rear mud flap. When (not if) you tear it off, send me a message I have made the bullet proof fix using the original mud flap. Good luck
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Shawn, be sure to check your new rig for overspray. At PDI I didn't notice it. Then I gave it the first hand wash and I found many large areas of overspray. I had the dealer buff them out and it looks great and much easier to wash & wax. Nearly every new Winne I see on the lot has overspray.
Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Duner,

Thanks, went down to the dealer the other day to take a look and I noticed overspray on alot of the windows. My delivery date is wednesday, so I already mentioned it to the dealer and he said they would take care of it. The paint felt fine, no overspray.

Shawn
Old 03-31-2005, 09:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, went to pick up my motorhome today........and I decided to let the dealer keep it a few more days to straighten some things out!!!!!!

1. They didn't clean the overspray off anything but the drivers side window. I was told they have to send it out and have a bodyshop remove the overspray, then winnie will reimburse them. It was on both wheel skirts, sides of both slides, under drivers window, wheels and center caps, and various other places.

2. The dealer claimed that they prep the vehicle from head to toe. LOL . They washed it and armor all'd the tires! Ran a rag over the TV and the outsides of the cabinets. The interior was covered with bodyshop/assembly dust and there was no attemp to clean it at all!

2 months ago I warned the dealer that I was a neat freak and that I won't take it until its spotless! I guess they didnt take me to seriously.

I checked everything else that I have read to be a problem and all of the systems worked well. The only thing thta didnt work was the new LCD flat panel TV in the bedroom. They will have to fix that also, while they are removing the overspray and cleaning the interior.

Shawn
Old 03-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Your dealer sounds about as useless as mine. Wash the MH and take off the stickers - and call it PDI.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We love everything about our Meridian except the automatic satelite dish. Nothing but trouble. Really wish I stayed with the manual one like I had on my last MH.

Rich
Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Gee, our auto dish is one of the few things that has worked real good. We moved from our rental lot in FL to the lot we bought and closed on today. This afternoon it took a few minutes and it located the bird and everything works well.