Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2005 Class A Sightseer rear heat

We bought a 2005 Sightseer with GM chassis late last summer. We are still finding things about it along the way.
On a return home of a couple hours, we noticed it was getting warm in the back, and we were also hearing some fan running back there.
Once we got home I discovered I'd unintentionally toggled a never used rocker switch on the dash; REAR HEAT, High, Low. Well that explained why it was 85 degrees back there.
So my question then is, is this an engine water line, with a heater core and fan? Or electric heater element with fan arrangement? I'm thinking of a possible 16 year old heater hose running back there, or not.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You don't mention what size and size always changes the answers on RV, so I might referr you to a really good place to look at the parts of the Rv here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

That will let you drill down to your specific Rv and look at the exploded diagrams of the parts of interest as there are sure to be other questions coming up as you get to know the new beast!

Top of the head guess is that it will be as you think with lines from the cooling system to a blower in back. They last a long time but always a good item to look over the things that do age over time.

Good luck!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Better answer after checking your profile to find the size!
This is the parts group for your Rv and down on page 159 it refers to rear heater with "motoraid" which is the heat from the engine!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...05/5wfd29r.pdf
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It is a heater core and fan that has a loop in the engine coolant lines. It may also include your hot water heater in the same loop - a great feature to have hot water when you get to your destination. So yes it has flexible heater hoses but probably also has rigid pipe in various sections. On my 2003 Sunova it worked great for many years. I also worried about the hoses deteriorating and the rigid pipe corroding but never had a problem and sold it last year. The heat exchanger and blower were located under the bed but yours may be different. The most commonly reported problem with that system is the blower motor starts to make a really bad squealing noise. Last I checked, the motors were readily available. If your water heater has been replaced, a previous owner may have put in a water heater that does not have "motoraid" since they are a little more expensive.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, heat, sightseer