Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our Adventurer is going out of warranty within the month, and we're beginning to worry about it. We've only taken 2 extended trips and 3 weekend trips, but thus far, we've had one thing after another break down.

The hydraulic seals failed and needed to be replaced.

The refrigerator has had two major problems, one resulting in a new control panel and one resulting in a completely new refrigerator.

Two bedroom windows have been replaced due to defective seals.

Last week, the toilet began leaking and it turned out that the vacuum hose failed.

Just this week, the converter went bad. We called Winnebago, and they shipped a new unit overnight. We installed it ourselves and now it seems to be okay.

Both batteries have been replaced.

All of this is in addition to numerous fit and finish items. I understand the concept that a new unit may have several items wrong with it, but these are items that were seemed okay for awhile, but failed way too early. What's to say the replacements won't fail? Several of these items have a 2 year warranty, which helps, but we'll go broke if items continue to break at this rate once the warranty periods expire. Do others experience this type of constant breakdown?

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our Adventurer is going out of warranty within the month, and we're beginning to worry about it. We've only taken 2 extended trips and 3 weekend trips, but thus far, we've had one thing after another break down.

The hydraulic seals failed and needed to be replaced.

The refrigerator has had two major problems, one resulting in a new control panel and one resulting in a completely new refrigerator.

Two bedroom windows have been replaced due to defective seals.

Last week, the toilet began leaking and it turned out that the vacuum hose failed.

Just this week, the converter went bad. We called Winnebago, and they shipped a new unit overnight. We installed it ourselves and now it seems to be okay.

Both batteries have been replaced.

All of this is in addition to numerous fit and finish items. I understand the concept that a new unit may have several items wrong with it, but these are items that were seemed okay for awhile, but failed way too early. What's to say the replacements won't fail? Several of these items have a 2 year warranty, which helps, but we'll go broke if items continue to break at this rate once the warranty periods expire. Do others experience this type of constant breakdown?

Old 04-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My 95 seems pretty stable now. Just like in new house your motorhome will have appliances that will be problematic and fail at times.

My boss spent close to $200,000,000.00 on a new facillity last year and the maintenance crews just can't keep up with devices that were built in and continue to be problematic.

I keep hearing that a good manufacturer has a 5% or less defect rate. With all the hundreds of parts from outside venders in a motorhome the chance of you getting several of those 5% items is pretty high.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:13 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hopefully all of the problems you've experienced have been properly corrected. If there is anything else of concern at this time, make sure you make a claim to Winnebago before the warranty period expires. Most companies will honor the claim after the warranty period, provided the original complaint was documented before the end of the warranty. While I don't beleive in them myself, you might consider an extended service contract for piece of mind.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Janet,
Sorry to hear about your problems, however we all have some problems from time to time. Just imagine driving your house down the road on 6 tires. What matters is that they were all solved and everything is OK.
May I suggest you get CSP from Good Sam and then you will have bumper to bumper coverage on everything other than their list of excepotions such as tires, brake pads etc which is normal stuff. Try them it works.
Please don't blame Winnebago as most coach manufactures have problems too.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I hate to say this. The problem will probably continue. According to GS's "CSP", the failure rate for all systems goes to 80% in the 5th year of ownership. I have found this is restricted to the coach part only. I have had 0 problems with the chassis. You will find a gadzillion opinions on ths. Just my .02.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses. We've never believed in extended warranties, but with the cost of replacements, I will look into CSP.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My advice to new coach owners is to use it as often as possible during the warranty period ...at least once a month if possible ...to allow you to find all those little things that need fixing. That is exactly what we did, and I am sure many of the things we had corrected under warranty would not have been found that early without the heavy use. I don't generally like extended warranties, but for someone who doesn't use a new coach enough to flush out all the OEM problems it may be a good idea.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Janet, I know how you feel. We to have an '05 Adventurer 38J that we bought used with 8000 miles on it. Since we brought it home on the 4th of Feb. I replaced both house batteries and the converter as well as the back up camera and monitor. The left windshield wiper almost fell off on the way home from the dealers. All this after a so called PDI that cost $400. What a joke.
After our first trip I had to make 3 trips to the Workhorse Chassis "repair centre" before they finally solved an engine problem.
I have also repaired a number of things myself rather than drive the 200 miles back to the dealer. We got a flat tire due to a valve extension not being tight. The hood fit so poorly that I could put my hand between it and the rubber seal at the top.
My Winnebago warranty is up next week so I'm very glad that I bought an extended warranty.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote