Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Should the switches on the driver door or the lights switch be backlit or illuminated in any way? When driving at night all the controls on the driver's door are unusable without turning on the "map" light which is so bright that it totally ruins your night vision. Also, the headlights switch doesn't appear to be lit at all and once it turned off you can't find the swithch in the dark. On my cars, the headlight switch is backlit whenever the engine is on to make turning on the lights easier. Is this the normal configuration or did someone forget to connect the lights at the factory?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Should the switches on the driver door or the lights switch be backlit or illuminated in any way? When driving at night all the controls on the driver's door are unusable without turning on the "map" light which is so bright that it totally ruins your night vision. Also, the headlights switch doesn't appear to be lit at all and once it turned off you can't find the swithch in the dark. On my cars, the headlight switch is backlit whenever the engine is on to make turning on the lights easier. Is this the normal configuration or did someone forget to connect the lights at the factory?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Gene,
I have an '05 Adventurer 38R. The lighting situation is the same for me as you. I recently had the entire door panel off to install a switch for my new air horns and there are no bulbs or any fittings to allow for them. Same for the headlight switch. I guess it was an oversight by winnabago. Personally, I avoid driving at night so it's not a real big problem for me. Good Luck
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gene Rondenet:
Is this the normal configuration or did someone forget to connect the lights at the factory? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the normal configuration for the lighting system on the coach.

You will become used to where the switches are very shortly and how they they work, not worry about it. I can sit in my seat and close my eyes and put my hand on any control that I need to use by memory, except for the RV Radio. WI fixed that as well by installing a remote on the steering wheel rim so that's not a problem too much any more.

The biggest benefit and imperitive to learn where the switches are is so you don't have to go heads down to locate a switch while you're driving your motorhome down the road at highway speeds during daytime hours.

So you can't see illuminated switches during the day so they won't help. Just learn where the switchs are and how the work. Remember you're the "Capatin" and you have to know how everything works and where everything is.

Use the force!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Driver, you stated that WI installed a remote on your BIG 18" steering wheel for your radio. Did they replace the radio or can a remote be upfitted to the existing piece of crap radio.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">existing piece of crap radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I have that model also.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Gene, I know for a fact that certain Fleetwood models on the various Workhorse chassies do indeed have backlit switches, identical to Winnies' flip switches, so it couldn't be too hard to swap them out (albeit the cost of the lighted switches may be obscene). Like DriVer said, I learned to live with it.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

DriVer,
Is there any method to turn on the map light without opening the door? Seem silly to need to open the door to look at a map when I am parked.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Dennis:
The Dimming wheel. Turn it full throw & the map lite should come On.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Thudman. I should have known that, or at least remembered it. Thanks for not saying DUH!!! I owe you one.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT ABOUT THE DASH
no back lighting
and gotta love it " that Piece of crap" radio...
see my latest post about replacing that brick!!

New Monmouth, NJ
WALLY NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

How lucky can one man be?? I have had 2 pieces of crap, RADIO!!!!! TENN.VOL.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I had the same setup on my 2003 Suncruiser - no backlit switches and hard to read radio dial. When I bought my Allegro Bus all the switches were backlit. The radio is better but it's still not the brightest clock during bright ambient light.

I noticed that the Newmar Dutch Star had a great Jensen radio with nice bright blue fluorescent LED clock. I imagine that if you did a search for Jensen car stereos you could find one to drop into your RV.

As to the headlamp switch - I noticed that the Allegro Bus switch is very similar in size to my old Suncruiser's headlamp switch. I bet if you looked at a Tiffin dealer you could buy a replacement Allegro Bus switch, drop it into your Winnebago, connect the light to your dash lights, and you'd have a backlit switch.

I do agree with Driver's assessment of the switches though. You should be able to find the key driving controls without having to look for them. However, the backlit switch does make it easier to learn where they are at first. And it looks cool.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I went to the Dollar Store and bought one of those packs of Glow-In-The Dark stars, the kind you stick on a child's bedroom ceiling. Took the smallest stars out and put them on my switches. Now I can find them easily in the dark.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Paul, Old Snipe. GREAT idea!! Thanks.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

When we had our 2001 Adventurer, driving at night with only the speedometer cluster lit up in the otherwise Black Hole that was the dash was a pain. Now that we have our 2005 Suncruiser night driving is wonderful again since every one of the switches and controls are lit up like all the stars in the sky! I am surprised (and sorry) to hear the new Adventurers didn't get the same treatment.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
Driver, you stated that WI installed a remote on your BIG 18" steering wheel for your radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> What I implied is that the control is available on the rims of newer model coaches and it seems to work in tuning the radio and working the volume without having to go heads down to fiddle with the radio's display that you can't see.

The radio reminds me of your previous toad, but BIGGER!

It's the only major bone of contention I have with my Adventurer. Improving the display it should be back-lit using an orange background or the display should be all LED like automobiles and out temp/compass instrument. At least I can see the numbers on the compass in any light.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

None of the door switches are lighted on my Suncruiser. Are yours????
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Tom N No, my controls on the door are not lit either. It would have been nice of them to continue the lighted switches and have all controls illuminated. Maybe next year! It's not that big of a deal since even in daylight I can identify them by feel with my fingertips.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote