Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Suncruiser 33V Rear Cam System Replacement

What have you guys replaced this unit with? Any monitors a drop in replacement? So many questions. Do you run the new camera wire down the back cap, under the coach, to the dash?
Thanks,
--Rick
Old 11-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you used the "powered by Google" search at the top of the forum page? It's much more efficient than the "Search this Forum" tab. I know I've seen some threads on this so you may be able to that your question has already been answered. Just be creative in your wording to cover all the bases and it's probably not model specific so don't limit your search. Vintage +/= a couple of years is probably more important.

Given that the old monitors were CRTs (I'm assuming this is what your '04 has), I doubt that you're going to find a "drop in" replacement since the new monitors are going to be some form of flat screen. You might be able to use the existing cable but you may need to deal with incompatible connectors. If that doesn't work, I'd do as you suggested with the new cable.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I replaced my 2006 Voyager with a flat screen color version from Rear View Safety. I was able to use the existing cable by adding a couple adapter cables. This could also possibly be spliced but I didn't want to do that or try and run a new cable. The monitor I got has MirrorLink so if wife has navigation going on phone it will show on the monitor. RVCams also has a package to replace the Voyager that includes adapters and brackets to easily change it out.
divein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
Old Dirt Biker

Replace Rear View Camera

I also got a replacement camera and monitor from Rear View Safety. I got the 7 inch HD monitor & camera because I liked the detail of the higher resolution. They have several of their best sellers on sale for the next 4 days, so go to their website and see if there is anything you like.

Three items...
1. My 1999 Winabago 33 had a black & white CRT monitor that used a 4-wire cable and the new monitor had a 5-wire cable, so had to use the new cable and it had to be run underneath.

2. RVS makes an adapter plate that allows you to use the smaller flat-screen monitor in the larger hole left by the CRT monitor.

3. Unless you are going to do it yourself, make darn sure the company you hire to do it has plenty of experience doing RVs. Since I was having a new stereo put in at the same time, I figured I could use the same place that did such a great job on two previous stereo installations in my truck and car. I also thought they'd be able to handle the backup camera system. I was wrong...

The installer said he could make the 4-wire work by jerry-rigging it. I said no. He kept trying to let him do that because it was in the summer and very hot, so he didn't want to go under the MH in the heat. I finally went to the owner to have him tell the guy to use the new cable. I got it back the next day and he had tried to jerry-rig it anyway, which involved cutting off the multiplexer wires and doing some splicing. End result: It doesn't work. I can't access the menu, I can't adjust brightness or color, and the audio doesn't work. The owner just shrugged and said "oh well". I tried calling the cops but they said there is no crime. Since he still had my keys, I had to pay up. I'm furious, but apparently there's nothing I can do other than spend a lot more money on a lawyer. What really irks me is that I have spent a lot of money there and also sent a lot of customers to him. Not any more, that's for damn sure!

Anyway, be real careful choosing someone to do the rewiring. I would have done it myself but am recovering from a few broken bones and just couldn't bend enough to get underneath.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I suggest you file against the business and owner in small claims court. Hmmm, broken bones, vintage MX racing, just a coincidence?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Site Team

If your current system is a Voyager you can replace the camera and monitor with an updated version in color. I called rvcams.com (Tim) and within a few days (and about $450) had a new drop in monitor and rear camera that used the existing cables that are already run in the RV. They shipped everything and it was basically a plug and play replacement of components.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Old Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I suggest you file against the business and owner in small claims court. Hmmm, broken bones, vintage MX racing, just a coincidence?

Why yes, there is some minor connection I race two classes and one of them is for pre-1964 250cc machines where I run a Triumph Scrambler. Apparently I neglected to tighten the rear axle nut properly when prepping for this event. Second moto, last lap, about 200 yrds from the finish and the nut loosens up enough that it can slide in the chain adjustment slots. Well, only one side will slide, which meant when I came out of a turn and hit the throttle, the rear wheel was suddenly going to the right when the rest of the bike was going straight, which high-sided me and slammed me harder than I've felt in years. A couple of broken ribs, but also some very heavy bruising to internal stuff. That happened in June and it still hurts....a lot! Going in again next week for another MRI to try to find out what's causing the pain. I'm too young (72) to give up racing!!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

In the early '70s, I had a mid-'60s Triumph 500 when I was a Lt. in the Air Force. I don't recall the exact year and model but it had high pipes. It was a lot of fun when I didn't have it taken apart to fix something. Coincidentally, I just turned 72 last week so we're of the same vintage.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I too got a drop in system from rvcams.com, added a color camera to the back and a drop in color monitor for the front and works like a charm. Let them know what you have for a current monitor and they will set you up. Total cost was $469.
jimgior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #10
Old Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In the early '70s, I had a mid-'60s Triumph 500 when I was a Lt. in the Air Force. I don't recall the exact year and model but it had high pipes. It was a lot of fun when I didn't have it taken apart to fix something. Coincidentally, I just turned 72 last week so we're of the same vintage.
It was probably the T100C. It had twin pipes, each with it's own muffler, that went up the left side. Some years had the pipes/mufflers higher up near the seat, while others were more straight back. Either way, the passenger had to be very careful or they got 'branded' by the exhaust. I had a T90C (350cc twin) that had the two header pipes that siamesed together in front of the cylinders, but then only a single tailpipe and muffler. They weren't imported into the U.S. but the guy I bought it from brought it back from Hong Kong. I was in the Navy for 22 years and saw some really strange vehicles that people brought back from overseas.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, suncruiser