Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Sightseer dash a/c question

I think I have a dash air circulation problem. If I turn the a/c on normal I get very little air out of the dash vents, most seems to come out the defroster vents. There is a large amount of foam blowing out of the defroster vents too. If I put it on max the same holds true. I lift the dash and can see 2 vacuum actuators but neither seems to do much when I move the switch. I think normal air is outside air and max air is recirculated cabin air. But I dont think almost all the air should be coming out the defroster duct should it?
Real Mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You seem to have a vacuum leak. Most ac systems will fail to the defrost position, the most important job the ac does. Finding a vacuum leak is easier with a can of starter fluid if you can't find it visually. Fire up the motor, and spray the lines and actuators with starter fluid, the motor will rev when you hit the spot that is sucking in the starter fluid.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Tony. If you have a gas coach. I think yours is. For someone with a diesel coach, they would need to find a vacuum pump and trace from it. Some of the newer models gas and diesel may have electric dampers and that is another story.
1995 Warrior (former)
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If it's a Workhorse,,, Open the hood, look over to the passenger side, and find the blue vacuum line. I bet it's disintegrating.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Check all the small (1/8" dia) plastic vacuum lines forward of the firewall, where they are exposed to the elements they get brittle and sometime just erode away usually on the side you cant see clearly. If you have vacuum tester, you can disconnect the line at the engine and with the A/C controls off you should be able to pull and hold 20" of vacuum if the lines and accumulator are all good. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly it was the line going to the blend door actuator on my 2001 Adventurer.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a hand vacuum pump so I can use it inside to see if things work using it. I'm struggling to be able to see where things go.......LOL. Still like to know if the max air is recirculated cabin air and where that intake is. I'll try and take the dog house cover off and see where the vacuum originates that feeds the vacuum ball. Thanks, I'll let you know what I find out.
Real Mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Real Mccoy An easy check is the hot water shut off valve up front. There is a rubber 90 deg adapter on some of them that cracks open with age. Vacuum is supplied to the water valve when the system is off and when max air is selected. The same vacuum line also goes to the two stage fresh air door which may be harder to check. Here is a link to a good resource.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...g%20&%20AC.pdf
Yes max air is recirculated cabin air and the intake is low on the firewall just in front of the passenger's feet at the floor level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Valve.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	159109  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"
Old 04-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I edited my signature, Thanks for helping with that. Going out this morning to check some more. Thanks again for the help
Old 04-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

All is well in Jonesville SC this morning. With the help and suggestions offered here the problem is now fixed. Found a massive vacuum leak at the vacuum reservoir underneath the coach in front of the right front tire. Cracked hose. Fixed that and while underneath could easily see the door for the outside air intake, and saw the blue tubing that was mentioned was also bad. Had some tubing in the shop and replaced the deteriorated section and BINGO, everything works as it should now. This old fat guy sure appreciates the help. Gets real hard to troubleshoot problems when you cant move around and see worth a flip. Old age is not a friend.....LOL. Pointing me in a direction worked. Thanks again

Tags
dash, sightseer