Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wink 2004 Journey 36G questions

Hello...We are on our first trip with our used 2004 Journey. Parked in Baja now, I have time to crawl all over and learn what needs attention. It's in very good shape, but for a few things.

1 I see light and the seal is gone from where the bottom of the bed meets the back wall (engine compartment?) I have stuffed foam in there for now. When I raise the bed, I can only see a black metal box across the back and that's not where the seal is / isn't. It's further back, up against the actual back wall. I have to grope in between the bed frame bottom and the night table. It's there. Anyone know how to get in there better?

2 How often should you spray lube the slider seals if they are in the wind / sand/ sun?

3 The door (there's only one) has a dead bolt. Then, below that there is the regular lock..sort of.! What there is is... the door has a lock lever on the door, yes. But there was a round metal type little plate covering where the lock would, I guess, come out. I removed the metal piece and can see the end of a threaded rod that does move with the door handle. Only weird thing is...there is no striker plate / opening on the stationary side where a lock rod would enter. ??? There is the rod that the latch latches to, and above that the opening for the dead bolt to slide into, but nothing below the latch that the bottom lock would go into...if it did work. Could Winnebago have skipped setting up this lock set? And only set up the dead bolt? I'm not sure if previous owner put metal plate across or Winne sent it out like that. I doubt that, but again, there is no striker where the normal lock would be. The real trouble is that now it is loose and the door doesn't stay shut except with the dead bolt. And it rattles around and is a bit scary going down the road knowing just the dead bolt is holding it.

Any help with these things is mucho appreciated! I can't get on line all the time here, but pretty regular and will answer and thank you for any replies!
Thanks, again,
[email protected]
Bajasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Regarding Question #2:

I've had my coach for 13 yrs and is same year as yours .... the big slide mechanism is HWH, same as mine. In the early days I used the slide lube spray that they sell at Camping world. It's like a sticky wax when it drys in a couple of minutes. NOT recommended. Dirt and sand sticks to it and makes it worse.

What I recommend is keeping the big steel square tubes clean and free of any debris. They use nylon spacers and nylon is self lubing. Inspect the nylon spacers and look for missing chunks or major cracks. Mine have small pieces missing but no major pieces missing after 13 yrs .... including about 7 yrs fulltiming on the move every week or two or three. If you are not getting any horrible squeels or metal grinding when the slides are moving, it's probably ok.

I do lube the rubber seals once a year with 303 Protectant.

Can't help you with the other two issues, but you might want to post pictures of the door latch issue so folks can see if some prior mods were made and how it looks.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Journey door latch and other issues

Hi Duner,
Thank you for your response! I am new to using this forum as well and i didn't see my post at first so I thought it didn't get posted.

I will look at those sliders and take some pictures of the door lock. Then figure how to post them. :-) RV came with no manuals..only the owners little red manual that tells you how to use the seat belt type things! Any idea where I can get a set or individual manuals?

We stopped one night in Yuma before crossing the border. Now down here in San Felipe. Won an empty lot here in 1982...34 years later we're here with Ramada and bath house and Journey! Escaping Vermont winters. Yeah!
Thanks, again,
Dawn
Old 01-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasoon View Post
Hello...We are on our first trip with our used 2004 Journey. Parked in Baja now, I have time to crawl all over and learn what needs attention. It's in very good shape, but for a few things.

1 I see light and the seal is gone from where the bottom of the bed meets the back wall (engine compartment?) I have stuffed foam in there for now. When I raise the bed, I can only see a black metal box across the back and that's not where the seal is / isn't. It's further back, up against the actual back wall. I have to grope in between the bed frame bottom and the night table. It's there. Anyone know how to get in there better?

2 How often should you spray lube the slider seals if they are in the wind / sand/ sun?

3 The door (there's only one) has a dead bolt. Then, below that there is the regular lock..sort of.! What there is is... the door has a lock lever on the door, yes. But there was a round metal type little plate covering where the lock would, I guess, come out. I removed the metal piece and can see the end of a threaded rod that does move with the door handle. Only weird thing is...there is no striker plate / opening on the stationary side where a lock rod would enter. ??? There is the rod that the latch latches to, and above that the opening for the dead bolt to slide into, but nothing below the latch that the bottom lock would go into...if it did work. Could Winnebago have skipped setting up this lock set? And only set up the dead bolt? I'm not sure if previous owner put metal plate across or Winne sent it out like that. I doubt that, but again, there is no striker where the normal lock would be. The real trouble is that now it is loose and the door doesn't stay shut except with the dead bolt. And it rattles around and is a bit scary going down the road knowing just the dead bolt is holding it.

Any help with these things is mucho appreciated! I can't get on line all the time here, but pretty regular and will answer and thank you for any replies!
Thanks, again,
[email protected]
1) I know that on my '02 36L, that several people, including RV techs, suggested taking out the bed and bed frame to access much of that area. And I've read that the end cap of the RV can come loose. When you run the furnace or the AC, does the air flow seem weak? That would indicate the rectangular tubing under the end cap is all wonky. And/or the tubings sealing tape has given up. I'd sure get it looked at quickly. As I recall, it takes 4-5 hours of work.
2) Once, twice per year, depending on conditions. I use spray graphite. Doesn't leave a dust capturing residue.
3) Hard to tell what is actually going on, (a picture would be great) but many of those lower locks can partially lock themselves, by slamming the door, or a misplaced knuckle, etc. Sounds like a previous owner had that problem and tried to come up with a fix. There was a 2016 Winnie in this RV park not long ago that also had the problem. The wife had had to crawl in a window to unlock as they had accidently sorta slammed the door and locked themselves out without a key. And my '02 has the problem too. And my '94 Bounder did too. And the commonality between those 4 RVs is the door lock and handle assembly were all by the same manufacturer. What I do to fix the issue is just zip tie that lower locking lever in the unlocked position and ONLY use the deadbolt. Never a problem again. Here's a link to my blog entry about what I did with that door lock assembly...Door Lock

Quote:
Hi Duner,
Thank you for your response! I am new to using this forum as well and i didn't see my post at first so I thought it didn't get posted.

I will look at those sliders and take some pictures of the door lock. Then figure how to post them. :-) RV came with no manuals..only the owners little red manual that tells you how to use the seat belt type things! Any idea where I can get a set or individual manuals?

We stopped one night in Yuma before crossing the border. Now down here in San Felipe. Won an empty lot here in 1982...34 years later we're here with Ramada and bath house and Journey! Escaping Vermont winters. Yeah!
Thanks, again,
Dawn
You can get virtually all the books online as PDF files to download to your computer from Winnebago.

I am here in San Felipe too! At Campo San Felipe. They've been remodeling and it now has a pool, 50 amp sites, and reasonably persistent WiFi...I'm trying to convince them to upgrade for range.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

This thread over on rvforum.net might be helpful with the door latch assembly: Replacing Trimark entry door latch w/deadbolt

(You may need to join to see any pictures, but if so that's free and easy to do.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On my 03 Journey the door has the a dead bolt where it does extend into the door frame and below it is another lock that just internally locks the handle mechanism . Nothing extends out. Does your bottom lock work at all now?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your responses. I have spotty internet right now and so will look into some of the links tomorrow.
The problem with the seal by the bed sounds big. But no, the furnace flow (haven't needed a/c down here yet) seems fine and strong. I may work at taking the bed and frame apart to see what's there...but I'm on vacation, too! maybe I will 'putter' with it though.
And I see now, the bottom lock isn't suppose to go to the door frame. Ok..so it should just lock the handle. I will investigate that some more. Thank you, Kelm130!
Jim, I see all the PDF files from Winnebago, well, plumbing and electric, but they don't show everything. For instance, there is a drain hose comes down in the upper right corner of the LP gas compartment. I wonder what that is...but the PDF plumbing diagrams do not show it. Things like that! And things like what is behind that bed frame and why do I have a gap there and mainly how to fix it. I guess that's why these forums are great. :-)
Jim HyTek...you are right down the road. I am in El Dorado...are you still here? If so let's get together! Let me know, I'll be back checking here in the AM
Thanks again to all,
Dawn
Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Jim HyTek...you are right down the road. I am in El Dorado...are you still here? If so let's get together! Let me know, I'll be back checking here in the AM
Thanks again to all,
Dawn
Yeah, I'm still here, I'll likely be here another month at least. I think I know which one the El Dorado is though not exactly sure...but yeah we could get together whenever you'd like, I could show you what I'm talking about concerning the end cap and lower lock. We could compare notes.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey