Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

So--- pulled up to the truck stop in my new to me 2004 36G and to my surprise the angle of the fill tube coupled with the vertical size of the fuel door opening is such that the truck nozzle hits the top of the opening before you can insert the nozzle--

had to move to the automobile pumps

ReM
Dick Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

So--- pulled up to the truck stop in my new to me 2004 36G and to my surprise the angle of the fill tube coupled with the vertical size of the fuel door opening is such that the truck nozzle hits the top of the opening before you can insert the nozzle--

had to move to the automobile pumps

ReM
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There have been many folks, including myself, who have reported that the angle of the filler neck prevents using the big truck pumps at full flow, but I can insert the nozzle in my filler. Some of the truck pump nozzles are a tight fit, for sure.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
There have been many folks, including myself, who have reported that the angle of the filler neck prevents using the big truck pumps at full flow, but I can insert the nozzle in my filler. Some of the truck pump nozzles are a tight fit, for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah-- I expected the flow problem but I couldn't even partially insert the nozzle-- Might have been able to hold it so less than an inch protruded into the filler--- Hardly practical--

Maybe all truck nozzles are not created equal ?
Kind of embarrassing to find out at the pump though--

ReM
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dick ...

I have a 2004 39W Journey ... I have always been able to get truck island nozzles into my filler tube ... the nozzle always goes in at least an 1" to 1 1/2" ... that is far enough to fill ... matter of fact ... at one truck stop the nozzle went in further and kept shutting off until I pulled it back out to the 1" mark.

Depending on the curvature of the nozzle I sometimes have selective about the angle that I hold the nozzle when I insert it ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
Dick ...

I have a 2004 39W Journey ... I have always been able to get truck island nozzles into my filler tube ... the nozzle always goes in at least an 1" to 1 1/2" ... that is far enough to fill ... snip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tnx skigramp--

I might be able to get an inch into the tube but it doesn't seem practical to stand there and hold it that way while pumping 90 gallons of fuel (and it scrapes the paint off the top of the fill opening)

ReM
Old 03-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yep, I have to hold the stupid thing and can only pump slowly or it will splash back. Careful as can be but the paint is chipped along the top.Only use the truck pumps when we have to. Wish the fill was designed a little better.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue, but found that if I inserted the nozzle into the neck and then held the fuel nozzle up a bit and pointed into the fuel neck, I could fill up virtually full rate in a truck station. Yes, I had to hold it while it was filling, but it only took a few minutes. Takes a bit of experimentation, but once I figured it out, things worked great.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote