Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Journey

Hoping to close the deal on a 2004 Journey - anything to be aware of regarding that model year? Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts. Jim R.
Jim_Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Jim-Bo,
Hope the deal does well. We purchased our '04 Itasca Horizon about a year ago and we love it to death. Although I've not pulled my windshield trim off to check for the infamous windshield frame rust, it's something you might take a look at. Our rig had 40K on it when we took possession. The interior is a well done layout and for the most part, the construction is pretty much top notch. We did how ever have to do a little drawer repair on a couple, no big deal.

A couple of other things needed attention here and there but, that's just normal wear and tear. Now, most guys will tell you to get into the motor right away and check this and that. Well, that's very good advice but, there's also the rest of the coach. The cabinet hinges, the plumbing, wiring in multiple places that is close to "etching" through on sharp edges, roof seals around all the vents and junction areas like where it meets the front and rear caps.

Check ALL your battery connections, house and chassis. Get under the coach and check the grounds where they attach to the frame. Mine were pretty corroded and had some pretty rusted bolts holding them on. I could go on and on but, You know the drill. Just check that rig out from stem to stern. If it's in good shape, you're all that much better off. But, it pays to be sure before you head out in to the RV world. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bought ours in September last year, had 30,000 miles on it, now at 36,000. We love it. We were afraid we had the windshield issue when a leak showed up in the windshield area, turned out to be a marker light that needed sealing. We would do it again! Good Luck on your deal!
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 39W Journey ... we bought it new ... we now have 95,000 miles on it ... we live in Wisconsin and are serious snow birds so we live in it for 3 to 5 months a year ...

It is a good coach ... we had had some minor problems but only two serious ones ... a HUEY pump on the CAT engine ... and a leaking seal on our bedroom slide ...

We replaced our tires at 6 years and 75,000 miles. We are on our third set of house batteries and chassis batteries.

I suggest you install a Trickl-Start ... I have now installed one ... I think if I would have installed it sooner I would still be on my second set of chassis batteries ... a Trickl-Start costs less than $50 ... you have to remove about 8 or 10 screws and loosen two nuts ... you can do it in about an hour ... the directions for installation in a Journey comes with a good diagram.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

What model Journey?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Also, how many miles on it and are they the original tires?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

definatly look at age of tire...if in 7-10 year range you may be replacing them soon which is a rather large expense
lt6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Check out the plastic surge tank on the radiator for surface cracks.
It can be expensive if you have to change it while on the road
If you can change it yourself, you can spend the savings on TVs upgrade
and a ceiling fan for the bedroom.
The ceiling fan was one upgrade I should have done years ago !
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey