Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Horizon 40AD VDC location?

I am having intermittent low air alarms, as discussed in other threads here. Had to repair the VDC on a previous 2000 Horizon. Can't find the VDC or MMDC on this 40AD. I called FL: but they said I have an MMDC in front left compartment. I looked and did not find one. I called Winnabego: they said I have a VDC somewhere in the rear. They have no idea where. FRUSTRATING!!

I have looked under the bed, in the engine comp., in all the rear compartments. Took the access panel out of the closet to better view the engine comp. Can
anyone with a 40AD history help?

Thanks in advance. 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
Winniedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check out the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach. You'll find the MMDC in the left front compartment, inside the hinged metal door. You'll need to remove a half a dozen screws to open the door--inside you'll find the MMDC, keyless entry module, smartwheel controller, etc.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Chris, isn't that a "maybe" on his since it's an '04? When I went to Camp Freightliner they said that it was the transition year where they went from the older VDC to the newer Medallion MMDC. My early-build '04 has the VDC and the module is mounted in the rear on the front-left firewall of the engine compartment. Can be seen/accessed by removing the floor between the bed and closet and opening the access panel there. Another owner of an '04 there had the MMDC (was a later build.) You are correct that the MMDC is mounted under the driver in the panel with the keyless entry.

I think we need to know which one the OP has... VDC or MMDC. If they have the Medallion display control then they have the MMDC up front.

(Actually, to be exact, the Fall of '03 was when FCCC started using the MMDC so it depended on what chassis Winnebago used from their stockpile when they built the '04 coach... in my case I have a Summer-'03 chassis under my '04 Vectra).
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help so far. My coach was built in Jan 2004, so was an early build. I have an engine access panel in the floor of the closet, but can't find one forward of there.

I opened the panel that you mention in the front left compartment and could not see an MMDC.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

For the record, it's less about when your coach was built and more about when your chassis was built and how long in the stockpile. Do you have the 6-button Medallion control pad?

My KD rear floor plan looks like yours (the front is different.) Do you have the two steps up from the floor to the rear closet? If so, then the top floor (that you stand on in front of the closet) is actually a removable panel. Screws on the edge/underside buried in the carpet (have to feel for them, an L-bracket as I recall.) Removing the screws allows my floor to be lifted and removed, which reveals an access panel held down by 4 bolts. Removing that on mine puts you on top of the engine and the VDC is on the firewall just about under the bed.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks emiddleb. I have the platform loose and can see the metal access panel beneath it. As soon as I defeat the wedgie between the bed and the closet I'll be cook'in with gas.

I really appreciate your help. I'll post an update with how it goes.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, now I am stuck again. I removed the engine access panel between the bed and closet. Got the upper part of my body down over the engine and looked forward with a light and I do not see a VDC.

What embarrassingly worthless engineering. The only thing worse I have seen is Dometic's slides.

Any other thoughts on where my VDC might be?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You should be able to come up with your build date and incomplete chassis ship date. Then the winnebago build date. Just in case it sat around in Forest City. Some claim that is where all the rust comes from.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Chris, isn't that a "maybe" on his since it's an '04? When I went to Camp Freightliner they said that it was the transition year where they went from the older VDC to the newer Medallion MMDC. My early-build '04 has the VDC and the module is mounted in the rear on the front-left firewall of the engine compartment. Can be seen/accessed by removing the floor between the bed and closet and opening the access panel there. Another owner of an '04 there had the MMDC (was a later build.) You are correct that the MMDC is mounted under the driver in the panel with the keyless entry.

I think we need to know which one the OP has... VDC or MMDC. If they have the Medallion display control then they have the MMDC up front.

(Actually, to be exact, the Fall of '03 was when FCCC started using the MMDC so it depended on what chassis Winnebago used from their stockpile when they built the '04 coach... in my case I have a Summer-'03 chassis under my '04 Vectra).
Sounds like you're right on the 'maybe'--I was just going by the Winnebago supplied diagram I linked into my earlier posting. So if the OP has the Medalion Info Center on the dash he should have an MMDC, otherwise he'll have the VDC--does that sound correct?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

OP and, gang,
My production date for the FCC is 9/10/2003
Our coach was first put into service in January of 2004

It's labeled as an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT

It is equipped with the MMDC and, the Medallion Information Center. My MMDC is located behind a hinged panel, in the left front compartment. I open the compartment door, and that reveals a row of 12VDC Circuit breakers, and a covered fuse/relay box. There are screws that I have to remove in order to open up another section, behind that row of circuit breakers. Once that hinged panel is opened, that reveals the MMDC and the security control module for all the doors and, the entry door and, the Smart Wheel Master Control module.

So, I don't know if this will help the OP or not.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Sounds like you're right on the 'maybe'--I was just going by the Winnebago supplied diagram I linked into my earlier posting. So if the OP has the Medalion Info Center on the dash he should have an MMDC, otherwise he'll have the VDC--does that sound correct?
Yes, as far as I can tell. I don't have the Medallion and my VDC is in my engine area as I described. You and Scott have it and the MMDC is up front. Seems to be consistent in our years' models. My Camp Freightliner doc says the MMDC was "introduced in the Fall of 2003."
Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your continued help. My chassis date is Jan 04 and coach build date is late March, 04. Have looked behind hinged door in front comp according to diagram posted by cbeierl, but no MMDC. That space is empty.

Not under hinged portion of bed. Any chance it would be under the head of the bed? Would have to totally disassemble the bed to get there.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Did they ever put the MMDC anywhere else? I think I am looking for a VDC since I don't have a medallion display.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ok, I found it. It is a VDC and on my coach it is at the very rear, passenger side, behind the panel that covers the side engine fans and radiator. Transmission control module is in the same place.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Tags
cat