Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Adventurer/W22 trailer wiring

Hi all -

I'm the proud recipient of a 2004 Adventurer with a W22 chassis, 47,500 miles - my parents bought it new, and I'm going through it and getting it serviced, bugs out, and back on the road. Unfortunately I have limited service records on it, so I'm starting from scratch so I have a starting point.

I've got a Wells Cargo 20' trailer that carries 2 motorcycles and mountain bikes and miscellaneous stuff - the total weight is maybe 4,000 lbs max. The MH has a hitch but no electrical connector or brake controller. I've searched all over for instructions or wiring kits, with no luck.

What's the best way to add electrical connectors and brake controllers to the 2003/2004 chassis?

Thanks in advance -

Clay
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello Clay & welcome to the iRV2 family.
Here's the link to Winnie's website where you can (and should) download all your wiring diagrams. On page 5 of 6 of the diagram "Auto Lamp Wiring Diagram" you will find the trailer hitch connections. They have another diagram that shows the locations of the connectors. This won't give you the whole solution, but it should help you some.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bill -

I'll take a look - it'd be nice if there were some canned wiring kits that would work. This can't be an uncommon issue....

- Clay
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I believe that the stock Adventurer is pre-wired for the trailer hitch connector.
I also believe that most Winnies are supplied with the hitch and connector ready to use.
Did you look up underneath the hitch area to see if there's an open ended set of about 7 wires looped and tied up out of the way?

I'm pretty sure that you won't have to buy a wire kit......just a connector.
-Bill
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again Bill -

Woke up this morning and is was 8 below and blowing snow, but I'll check that as soon as it warms up a wee bit! Talk about blown weather forecasts...

Appreciate the info -

- Clay
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Trailer Wiring

There should have been a plug alongside the hitch as my '04 has it. If not then I would do as previously suggested look up underneath as a wiring plug should be there that you may have to add a pigtail with a jack too. If your trailer has electric brakes there is no wire there for the controller to work.
Before towing 4000 lbs I would also check the weight of the coach and how much CCW you are allowed. My adventurer is only allowed 26,000lbs total however it is a 33 footer.
Hope this helps.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

There have been earlier discussions about the trailer lights being under fused. Since you have an enclosed trailer, you are more at risk since they have lots of lights. Don't be surprised if, when you turn on your lights, you pop a fuse.

Your rig is newer than mine and they may have fixed this. Mine had a 5 amp fuse to run the trailer and the back of the coach.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Excellent info, thank you all - I'll keep an eye out on the fuse issue.

I finally found the 6-prong plug - fully-installed but removed from the hitch and tucked way up underneath. Go figure...just need to convert it to a 7-prong, which of course is no big deal.

I've got to change all the fluids and go through the chassis - once she's serviced, I'll load her up and see what she weighs.

Thank you all for the help!

- Clay
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know which wire to connect the brake controller(red wire to cold side) to on the brake pedal?or an easier location?
NuthinFancy is offline   Reply With Quote