Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
Dosis sola facit venenum

2004 Adventurer In Dash Radio Problem

Hello,

My new to me 2004 Adventurer has a radio/stereo problem. The in dash radio turns on and the AM/FM/Weather radio works fine. It also has a CD player, a Cassette tape player built in and a Pioneer CD changer under the driver's seat with a control mounted on the dash for changing disks. As I said, the radio works great. It has a "Mode" button which I assume is supposed to switch between functions but nothing happens when I press it. I've tried putting a CD into both the slot on the dash and the CD changer under the seat and nothing happens, same with a cassette tape. When I turn on the Pioneer CD changer with the radio on there is static and interference over the radio program which goes away when I turn off the Pioneer.

I searched the boards and found some old threads that mentioned that the manufacturer would refurbish the radio but that was a long time ago and I'm not sure if they'll still do that.

I'm hoping someone will have some ideas.

Also, when I open the dash I found there is a little metal box plugged into a jack in the back of the radio. Anyone know what that might be? I've included pictures which will hopefully help.

I wait to tell you about the problems with the Jensen stereo on the outside of the RV with the mystery CD that plays but won't eject...

Thank you!

TWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Your picture didn't post.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
Dosis sola facit venenum

Sorry. Hopefully the photos work this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adventurer Radio.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	173375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adventurer Radio Connection.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	173376  

Old 04-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Team

No markings on the box? What type of connectors on there? It almost looks like it could be an antenna booster, but I'm not sure those are the correct connections.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You will find a small RESET button on the front panel ( just to the left of the CLOCK button on the right hand side). You might give that a push and see if that helps.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
2004 Itasca Sunrise

This is just a guess but it looks exactly like an old XM radio FM Direct Adapter to allow the satellite signal to be sent directly through the vehicle's FM radio. Is there any print on the other side?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_607FMD...t-Adapter.html

http://siriusretail.com/Product%20Su...1a%20Print.pdf
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

That little metal box is a fm modulator. It is how they get the cd changer to play on your radio. It should have a frequency printed on it. When you turn on the cd changer, you then tube the radio to the frequency on the box. It act like a little radio station for the changer. Kerry
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
Dosis sola facit venenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
You will find a small RESET button on the front panel ( just to the left of the CLOCK button on the right hand side). You might give that a push and see if that helps.
Wow. Missed that completely! I will certainly give that a try. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Dosis sola facit venenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
That little metal box is a fm modulator. It is how they get the cd changer to play on your radio. It should have a frequency printed on it. When you turn on the cd changer, you then tube the radio to the frequency on the box. It act like a little radio station for the changer. Kerry
I'll take a closer look when I go back out to the storage yard. I didn't see any markings at all when I looked at it the first time. It's plugged into what I believe is an aux jack on the back right side of the radio.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had two of these add on CD players before they became common in dash mounted equipment. They both used an FM modulator to send an FM signal from the CD player directly into the antenna of the FM radio. When you turn on the CD player the modulator switches from the exterior antenna to the CD player so the signal from received FM stations is attenuated, hence the static. I would recommend starting a CD then slowly tuning across the FM band to locate the signal. You may find it is working but requires that the FM tuner match the setting of the modulator. If there are FM presets one of them may be tuned to the modulator frequency. The issue with modulators is that they had several settings so that a locally unused portion of the FM band could be used. When you travel you may enter an area where there is a station near where the modulator is tuned and interference will result. There are typically four switch selectable settings for the modulator with a slide switch on the modulator. If you have a display on the CD player you might be able to adjust the modulator frequency that way.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #11
Dosis sola facit venenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobway47 View Post
I had two of these add on CD players before they became common in dash mounted equipment. They both used an FM modulator to send an FM signal from the CD player directly into the antenna of the FM radio. When you turn on the CD player the modulator switches from the exterior antenna to the CD player so the signal from received FM stations is attenuated, hence the static. I would recommend starting a CD then slowly tuning across the FM band to locate the signal. You may find it is working but requires that the FM tuner match the setting of the modulator. If there are FM presets one of them may be tuned to the modulator frequency. The issue with modulators is that they had several settings so that a locally unused portion of the FM band could be used. When you travel you may enter an area where there is a station near where the modulator is tuned and interference will result. There are typically four switch selectable settings for the modulator with a slide switch on the modulator. If you have a display on the CD player you might be able to adjust the modulator frequency that way.
Interesting. Thank you very much for your reply. Sounds like they work kinda like one of those things that you plug into your cigarette lighter and tune to an unused radio station when you don't have an aux jack and want to use an MP3 player or phone. I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks.

Tags
adventurer, dash, radio, vent