Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

Made the mistake of letting my wife check out a 2004 Adventurer 38R the other day thinking she wouldn't like the floorplan compared to our Itasca Suncruiser 32V that she loved 18 months ago. Now she is ready to move up which is fine by me! It has 7100 miles on it & is in great condition & the price is reasonable. From researching this forum the weight & handling could be of concern on this unit.

I like the handling of our 32V & know i'll have to give some of that up for more room. I do like the size of the 38R but don't want to make a bad decision. I appreciate any & all comments.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

Made the mistake of letting my wife check out a 2004 Adventurer 38R the other day thinking she wouldn't like the floorplan compared to our Itasca Suncruiser 32V that she loved 18 months ago. Now she is ready to move up which is fine by me! It has 7100 miles on it & is in great condition & the price is reasonable. From researching this forum the weight & handling could be of concern on this unit.

I like the handling of our 32V & know i'll have to give some of that up for more room. I do like the size of the 38R but don't want to make a bad decision. I appreciate any & all comments.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

What year is your 32V?

I have a spreadsheet that lists most of the changes from 1999 to 2005 in the Adventurer line. It's just a list I've made from looking at motorhomes and brochures, so it isn't 100% complete, but it may help identify some features in the 2004 you didn't know you'll love!

I'll e-mail it to you, to the email in your profile.

Edit, duh, I see you have an '02...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the list Tim!

It does have a few changes that we do really like. The 32V with the 8.1 on a workhorse chassis was our first MH & I liked the way it handled but didnt realize it was considered the sprots car of the line until I read some old post on this forum . I'm hoping the changes & bigger floorplan will make the differance it might have in the way it handles with the added weight on the same chassis not that big of a deal. I guess you have to give a little to get more if you don't want (or can't afford) to go for a DP.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

tonyk, Welcome to the forum!!

It certainly looks like you've gotten a fact filled response to your query and we look forward to hearing more of your experience moving up!

We could also change that "new member" to read "Winnebago Owner's Forum Member" if you'd like!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have a 38R but it's a 2005 Suncruiser. The 38R has 2 very large slides which are heavy.

I had my 2005 38R weighted on my way south 4 days ago. Fully loaded with water, propane and fuel, plus all our stuff for 5 months on the road. My wife and I were in the coach also. We do not carry everything we own and have a lot of space to load more stuff.

Cat certified scales showed 22,720#s. A little much for a 2004 W22 chassis.

You would have to be careful loading a 38R on a W22 but it can be done.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom,

We travel lite but tow a CRV so that was a concern. I know it won't handle as well as the 32V but as long as I don't hold up traffic I should be ok.

Wish we were heading south for a few months Hopefully in a few years.

Hey Bob,

I'm going to try & sigh up now for the Winnebago Onwners Forum Member!

Tony
Old 10-31-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Towing and chassis carry capacity are two different weight issues.

The CCC of an 2004 Adventurer 38R would be ~1200#. Check the weight capacities label on the wall in the hall sliding door closet for the CCC. As long as you don't go over the CCC you'd be OK. You should load the coach and then have each wheel position weighted. If over for any axle reposition your gear.

Possibly you could find a 2005 38R on the W24 chassis. The 38R on a W24 was also made in 2006 but very few. Winnebago discontiued the 38R early in the 2006 model run.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote