Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 Winnie Adventurer

We now own an 03 Adventurer with 70,000+ miles..we bought it new and have taken good care of it...I realize that things wear, but seems like everytime in the past month I check something else is wrong..just got the water heater fixed(check valve) now I went to winterize it and I guess the Aux Batt switch is kerplunk, because the interior lights, the generator won't start (no power) and the water pump doesn't run..think it is that switch ..it is located on the left low as you come in the door...it is a 3 circuits, 6 prong switch...of course the local RV dealer didn't have one in stock...I am going to try to order one Monday from a Winnebago parts place...gosh wonder what else will go wrong...I am about to jack this RV up and run a new one under it...we will see...I am thru ranting...have a great day
firesafety55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would guess it is really the Aux Battery solenoid located in the entry behind the removable panel above the batteries. The switch isn't likely to fail. Does the switch feel like it is broken?

Does the battery switch on the dash work?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Cool 30 winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I would guess it is really the Aux Battery solenoid located in the entry behind the removable panel above the batteries. The switch isn't likely to fail. Does the switch feel like it is broken?

Does the battery switch on the dash work?
thanks for the info..will check..didn't think of that problem..wonder if the solenoid is available thru a parts store or is it a Winnebago part..again thanks will check
Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If those are the only problems you've had in 10 years and 70,000 miles you should be smiling not ranting. It's just about at the age where all the little agrivating things go wrong. We had the same problems at that mileage and growled a bit each time something went wrong. Fortunately all the things that failed were nickel and dime items. Each took a few minutes to repair/replace and we were on the road again. We worked through it and kept on going.

We're now over 100,000 miles and still going strong. We've talked about a replacement from time to time, but so far haven't seen a floor plan we like as well as the one we have.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If those are the only problems you've had in 10 years and 70,000 miles you should be smiling not ranting. It's just about at the age where all the little agrivating things go wrong. We had the same problems at that mileage and growled a bit each time something went wrong. Fortunately all the things that failed were nickel and dime items. Each took a few minutes to repair/replace and we were on the road again. We worked through it and kept on going.

We're now over 100,000 miles and still going strong. We've talked about a replacement from time to time, but so far haven't seen a floor plan we like as well as the one we have.
those are not the only two problems I have had..all in all I guess its been a rather good coach..and it just seems like little things are starting to go wrong...I just hope no BIG thing goes kapoot...was I ranting...sorry...just trying to express my frustrations,....ranting oh well..have a great day..do you know whether the solenoid is a Winnie part or local auto part store part...thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It's not only a Winnebago part, but a rather specialized latching solenoid. Here is a link to a Winnebago Tip on the topic

Winnebago Battery Mode Disconnect Tip

Here is info on the relay (solenoid)

Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

As mentioned earlier it's not a part specific to Winnebago products. You can find one at almost any RV dealer. I would go to an RV dealer as opposed to an auto parts store. I got a Tekonsha brand one at a local dealer a few years ago. They cost in the neighborhood of $30.00.

The solenoid you need has a 100% duty cycle in that it's engaged anytime the engine is running. It can also be manually engaged by pushing the Battery Boost switch. Auto parts stores may carry some that look identical but are only supposed to be activated momentarily. It looks identical to the starter solenoid used by Ford for many years. The Ford starter solenoid is only meant to be engaged when the starter is cranking. If it is used for this application it will overheat and burn up in short order.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As mentioned earlier it's not a part specific to Winnebago products. You can find one at almost any RV dealer. I would go to an RV dealer as opposed to an auto parts store. I got a Tekonsha brand one at a local dealer a few years ago. They cost in the neighborhood of $30.00.

The solenoid you need has a 100% duty cycle in that it's engaged anytime the engine is running. It can also be manually engaged by pushing the Battery Boost switch. Auto parts stores may carry some that look identical but are only supposed to be activated momentarily. It looks identical to the starter solenoid used by Ford for many years. The Ford starter solenoid is only meant to be engaged when the starter is cranking. If it is used for this application it will overheat and burn up in short order.
You are talking about the Battery Isolation Solenoid, the OP was referring to the Battery Disconnect circuit. This disconnects the battery from the coach 12 volt circuits. It doesn't draw power except when being actuated. It is a latching relay and changes position with the momentary application of 12 volts to the coil.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sorry, my mistake I should have read closer. To that point are you sure the switch operator (the button you push to activate or disconnect the batteries) is properly attached to the switch body. We had a similar problem a few years ago and found some one had bumped the switch and partially dislodged the button. You could push on either end of the button but it wasn't touching the switch body and therefore wouldn't connect the batteries. Once it was popped back into place everything ran fine.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I tried all the suggestions, and got the switch to working...the suggestion that perhaps a battery is the culprit..hit it right on the nose...one dead battery....the switch is working now..thanks to all...it saved me a trip to the dealer...thanks and Have a Merry Christmas..