Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am trying to find the external height of my 2003 36 foot Journey Diesel that I purchased last week. I would like to know the safe clearance needed for vehicle. I cannot find this in any of the massive Winnebago information provided to me with my used coach. Can someone please tell me or tell me where to find it?

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am trying to find the external height of my 2003 36 foot Journey Diesel that I purchased last week. I would like to know the safe clearance needed for vehicle. I cannot find this in any of the massive Winnebago information provided to me with my used coach. Can someone please tell me or tell me where to find it?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This Winnebago brochure 2003 Journey indicates a nominal exterior height of 11'8" for the 36LD.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Probably around 12'6" but I would allow a little extra.
Richard
Old 10-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Chris,
Thanks for pointing me to the brochure. It has some other information that I was curious about.

Is there a rule of thumb as to how much margin I should add to the height for safe passage? I am thinking another 2 feet to account for the added Wineguard In-motion Satelite Dish.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Note also that Winnebago has online wiring and parts diagrams: Manuals & Diagrams. You should check there and download the info for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Dan,

The best way is o measure your coach. I did not trust going just on the average info that Winnebago provides.

I aired up my suspension and measure to the top of the roof. To that measurement I added the height of the Dish antenna dome, which is my highest structure and made a note of this. This is height plus another 6 inches is all I feel comfortable with for a minimum clearence. You also might consider the radio/CB antennas as these will be damaged if you hit these at speed. My highest device on the roof is my CB antenna, which is spring loaded and will fold flat, but as I said I would not want to try folding it at 60 MPH as I am sure I will no longer have a CB antenna.

Also remember that the height will increase in a short tunnel that has no flat road surface underneath it.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Bowman:
Is there a rule of thumb as to how much margin I should add to the height for safe passage? I am thinking another 2 feet to account for the added Wineguard In-motion Satelite Dish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As an ex-truck driver I can tell you that most unmarked bridges will be at least 14 ft. clearance or so, since the general height of a van-type trailer is 13'6". If you're around 12'6" you shouldn't have any trouble except in cities or small towns where the low clearance would definitely be marked. I'd allow an extra 6" just for the fact that they may have repaved the road and not changed the sign, then proceed very slowly under the bridge if it's going to be close. Other things to keep an eye out for are low tree branches and roads that slant such that the upper right corner of your coach comes close to utility poles placed near the edge of the road.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just measured mine. 11' 9 and 1/2". to the top of the vent which is the highest point on it. Yours will be higher with a sat dome.

Best to measure it and be sure. Be sure the suspension is aired up.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote