Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just found a nut laying on the ground the outher day and could not figure out where it came from . Soon I did while loading up for a trip I noticed the whole slide was moving on the hinged section . after going under I noticed where the nut had fallen off and at the outher end the nut was about to fall off . I tightened the one nut and replaced the outher nut and tightened both nuts . My question is dose this have to be tightened just right or does it make any difference to the slide out . I also put lock washer on my self hoping for this to not happen again . And last I have read alot about eternabond tape and ordered some and plan on working on the roof today . Will putting this stuff on void the 10 year winnie warenty on the roof . Thanks for this great site
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just found a nut laying on the ground the outher day and could not figure out where it came from . Soon I did while loading up for a trip I noticed the whole slide was moving on the hinged section . after going under I noticed where the nut had fallen off and at the outher end the nut was about to fall off . I tightened the one nut and replaced the outher nut and tightened both nuts . My question is dose this have to be tightened just right or does it make any difference to the slide out . I also put lock washer on my self hoping for this to not happen again . And last I have read alot about eternabond tape and ordered some and plan on working on the roof today . Will putting this stuff on void the 10 year winnie warenty on the roof . Thanks for this great site
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you bond the sidewalls permanently to the roof your 10 year roof warranty will be voided.

I could never understand permanently bonding the roof to the sidewalls because the roof and sidewalls have to flex independently. If Winnebago found that making the walls and roof a solid one piece unit was beneficial I'm certain they would have done that.

I'm not bonding my roof permanently to my sidwalls. I'll check the sidewall to roof sealant ~every 6 months when I check the other sealants as Winnebago advices.

I'll add, I would never buy a used coach that had the sidewalls permanently bonded to the roof with Eternalbond.

All INMO.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I dont consider Etenabond a permanent
bond to the roof and sidewall, but I
could be wrong!

I wonder how many roofs have been replaced
by WI under the 10yr. warrenty, say against
how many have been blown off as people driving
down the road. And then we have to look to our
insurance co. to replace the roof??? TENN.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Eternabond is not a "bond" as such. It is more of a seal. Eternabond is so flexible that it would have no negative effect on movement or flexing.
If two coaches were identical in every other aspect, but one had eternabond installed, it would be the one I bought. IMHO.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Eternabond is not a "bond" as such. It is more of a seal. Eternabond is so flexible that it would have no negative effect on movement or flexing.
If two coaches were identical in every other aspect, but one had eternabond installed, it would be the one I bought. IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Eterna bond and quite agree. It is a flexable mylar backed rubber sealing tape that remains giving and pliable aven after years in place.

Now if someone put fiberglass mesh and resin over the roof and sidewall seams then that would be a different story. I have seen people do that to the stess relief joints of fiberglass boats and the results were quite devastating at times.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What do you do to make it match the color of your coach?? Paint it??
Old 10-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
What do you do to make it match the color of your coach?? Paint it?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...paint it...uggg...

I'm not a fan of that stuff...you put it on your coach and you are stuck with it...literally...

I wouldn't buy a used unit with that stuff on it, and my dealer says they have a hard time getting rid of units with eternabond on them. Why would you want one? Why did the previous owner put that stuff on it? Leaks? In my opinion, people who put that stuff on their motorhomes are doing the easy way out of a proper caulk job....

I will also remind people that the side curved portion of the fiberglass roof on Winnebagos arent glued down....that is just a thin covering over the extruded aluminum edge. The thin fiberglass is pulled down OVER the side of the coach about 1/2" where your drip rail is screwed, holding down the fiberglass. There is no way there can be water coming down from the roof INTO this side because of this overlapping.

You put that stuff on your coach, and it will be there for the LIFE of the coach...forget changing out your skylight or anything...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
What do you do to make it match the color of your coach?? Paint it?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...paint it...uggg...

I'm not a fan of that stuff...you put it on your coach and you are stuck with it...literally...

I wouldn't buy a used unit with that stuff on it, and my dealer says they have a hard time getting rid of units with eternabond on them. Why would you want one? Why did the previous owner put that stuff on it? Leaks? In my opinion, people who put that stuff on their motorhomes are doing the easy way out of a proper caulk job....

I will also remind people that the side curved portion of the fiberglass roof on Winnebagos arent glued down....that is just a thin covering over the extruded aluminum edge. The thin fiberglass is pulled down OVER the side of the coach about 1/2" where your drip rail is screwed, holding down the fiberglass. There is no way there can be water coming down from the roof INTO this side because of this overlapping.

You put that stuff on your coach, and it will be there for the LIFE of the coach...forget changing out your skylight or anything... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually there are a variety of eternabond products used by coach manufaturers all over the coach. I have found it on 1995 vintage coaches in the two sided variety sealing down the shower door tracks and the exterior porch lights to the sidewalls. Even after 11 years it was still plyable and the shower door tracks and porch light fixtures were easily removed. If you have full body paint it can be painted to match or you can just apply it around the skylights vents and cap seams cuttin it off before it becomes visable and continue on with a traditional caulk from there on. If you don't have full body paint and it matches your sidewalls then you just have to be neat and it will be very difficult to even realize that it is there.

I have use this product for years to make long lasting repairs to aluminum and fiberglass sunroom and porch roof systems. It has worked so well for repair that most contractors use it exclusively on the roof joints, skylights, vents and flashings during new panel room construction. It is viewed as the best way to provide a quality job that will remain trouble free for many years to come.

Conventional wisdom would dictate that caulking the drip rail would not be required due to the way that it is overlapped, however it will void your roof warrenty if you don't maintain the seal on it.

If you rather deal with temporary caulks that will fail regularly and require constant visual and physical inspection that is fine, if you find Eternabond pleasing that is fine too. I put Eternabond on my last coach and was trouble free while more than one of my friends who do follow the reccomended schedule for roof seam checks had a sections of caulk fail and go unnoticed until it was too late and now wish that they had used Eternabond instead.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I stated my opinion earlier in this thread.

IMHO, walking on the roof can harm the sidewall to roof seal, especially if you get close to the edge. I have never been on the roof of any of my motorhomes. If I had to go up there I would use a couple sheets of plywood to distribute the weight. I'm no light weight. The few items I've had to tend to on the roof I've done from an extension ladder and I'm careful how I place the ladder.