Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2003 Journey windshield side trim

Hi - I have a stripped screw post at the top of the driver side windshield side trim piece. The answer is probably to fill the post with something and then tap it out. Has anyone ever had to deal with this? As you can see I have tape temporarily on it for now. Why they used 3 tiny screws to hold this piece on doesn't make much sense.

Sorry for the sideways pic I'm working on fixing it

Thanks
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	152957  
Old 02-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Kinda hard to visualize like that so I rotated it for ya...

My guess would be that the window frame is rusting out...that's a typical fault on our model and age of Winnies. Winnebago of course, denies there's a rust issue, but there is.

Here's a link to the video about it:

Usually it is more evident at the bottom of the window but the rust rot can occur anywhere.

There are a couple shops in the US that specialize in repairing that rust problem. Cost is around $2,000.

Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the picture rotate! Yeah I figure there is rust back there but the small post the screw threads into is stripped. It helps hold the end of the top rubber strip across the top of the windshield.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Kinda hard to visualize like that so I rotated it for ya...

My guess would be that the window frame is rusting out...that's a typical fault on our model and age of Winnies. Winnebago of course, denies there's a rust issue, but there is.

Here's a link to the video about it:

Usually it is more evident at the bottom of the window but the rust rot can occur anywhere.

There are a couple shops in the US that specialize in repairing that rust problem. Cost is around $2,000.

Good luck!
I would be curious to know just where that winshield place is located
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I thought they mention that in the video. It's in Oregon, and they know how to abate the problem and how to prevent it from recurring. I've read that there's at least one more place that does that work, but since I'm from Oregon, I didn't pay attention. The company in the video also goes to Quartzsite in the winter.

Here's the link to their website: Windshield Magic

BTW, as an FYI the Itaska is a twin to the Winnebago..."No, an Itasca is not an upgraded Winnebago. In the 70s GM made a line of motorhomes called Itasca. They decided to let Winnebago manufacture them. Eventually Winnebago bought them out and has kept the two lines separate. They are made at the same plant (Forest city) and are made of the same components, they just have different names. One is not better than the other."

Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Back to the OP's problem. I just replaced the original top screw with a slightly larger one. That was approximately 8 years ago.

Hope this helps.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Back to the OP's problem. I just replaced the original top screw with a slightly larger one. That was approximately 8 years ago.
My solution too. And get a stainless steel screw if you can so it won't rust.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
BTW, as an FYI the Itaska is a twin to the Winnebago..."No, an Itasca is not an upgraded Winnebago. In the 70s GM made a line of motorhomes called Itasca. They decided to let Winnebago manufacture them. Eventually Winnebago bought them out and has kept the two lines separate. They are made at the same plant (Forest city) and are made of the same components, they just have different names. One is not better than the other."
I don't believe that this is correct. At the time Winnebago had an exclusive contract to use Dodge chassis under its motorhomes. The Itasca brand was created to allow them to make use of other chassis as well. For some time the Itasca models tended to have some items standard that were optional on the corresponding Winnebago models, but more recently that distinction went away. Winnebago just recently phased out the Itasca brand, although the models currently remain under the Winnebago banner.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

@cbeierl:

You could be right, I don't know. Found that quote on iRV2 and given the context I believed it. But, the point was that Itasca was made by Winnie for some time and likely used the same prone to rust front structure. And only mentioned for future lurkers that might find this thread.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys - I was thinking of trying a larger screw also. Glad to hear it has worked for others.

Tags
journey