Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Good Morning All...I cannot follow the directions for winching in the livingroom slide.IE: Where do you place the winch, and what do you hook it to.I have been on my hands and knees looking, but can't find anything like the instructions talk about.I also tried the archives. Thanks for the help. LenOrge
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good Morning All...I cannot follow the directions for winching in the livingroom slide.IE: Where do you place the winch, and what do you hook it to.I have been on my hands and knees looking, but can't find anything like the instructions talk about.I also tried the archives. Thanks for the help. LenOrge
Old 02-22-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Howdy, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to see that your first post is about a problem. Probably someone with the same unit as you have will know exactly where to hook up the winch.

I've got a Journey with the manual winch provided as a means to pull in the slide in case of power failure. The hookup may be similiar to yours.

Our winch is mounted to a flat steel plate which has a long U-shaped bracket on the back. Approximently midway along the length of the slide is a floor register used by the furnace. That register lifts out leaving a hole in the floor that the U-Bracket is placed into. The winch then pulls against the floor which is solid.

The hook on the strap of the winch is connected to a strap located under the sofa. the strap is identical material to the seat belt straps, but has a loop formed in one end. Simply hook the winch hook to the loop in the strap and pull the slide in....of course, follow the manufacturers instructions for releasing the powerunit hydraulics so it can be pulled in.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Joe-K...But........Still can't find anything under the couch, just seat belts.I will have to keep searching, and hoping a member will have the answer. lenOrge
Old 02-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Brave 34D and I believe the strap is under the couch (on the booth side) or it is under the booth seat closest to the couch. It has been a while since I found it but it was in one of those two places. Don't mistake the strap for part of the seat belt because they are the same strapping material as the seat belts.

If I have time this evening I will go out and find the exact location of the stap because I made sure I found it when I purchased the MH a year ago just in case something did happen and I needed it.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm... Not you've piqued my curiosity for my '04 too. -Never needed it and don't really remember if I explored the feature or not. I understood the winch end would hook onto the lip of the flooring just above the steps. And the other end of the strap would go under the couch, but where? Possibly clip-it-up to a floor mounted seat belt under there?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi...I have been over every inch of the floor , under the couch, and inside the booths. The owner's manual talks about a slot on the isle side at the carpet level. If it's there,I can't find it.In the 34D,it would be impossible to hook up at the booths anyhow because of the angle. Thanks for helping. I have tried Winnebago's phone, but it has been busy. lenOrge
Old 02-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yep, my strap is under the couch on the left side looking under the couch. The strap is connected in two places, one all the way in the back next to the seatbelt bolts and about half way to the front of the couch on the floor. It is same strapping as the seatbelts with a loop sewn in the end.

By the way don't look for a winching point for the rear slide, there isn't any. The manual method is to release the hydraulic pressure (as stated in the manual) and then push it in from the outside.

Hope you find it or better yet don't have to use it.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I found it.....Right were "jngonthego" said it would be.It was bundled with the seat belts, and I just could not see it. Thanks again for all the help.This is a great site. lenOrge