Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Post 2003 Adventurer Windshield Replacement

As the title say both our windshields have cracked. The crack on each are down near the bottom, center post. I assume there is some limited rust behind them as we had to camp in it for an entire winter when we sold our house. One cracked last spring while driving to a camp ground and then the other did the same this fall on the way home from a campground. I have used gorilla glue on both to keep water out of them for now. Camper is covered for the winter now, but i'd like to get them replaced in the spring. I have read good and bad stories about rust so my question is, has any had them removed to fix rust then have someone come back to install new ones ?

Costs ? I believe insurance is going to cover the glass, but i dont want them to show up to replace, remove the glass then not install the new.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Based on numerous posts on irv2 expect that when the old glass is removed that the underlying metal will have rusted areas that will have to be dealt with. Some have posted that installers refused to install the replacement glass when the rust was discovered saying that the rust has to be remediated before the replacement glass is installed.

I suggest you read posts about it on IRV2 and start planning in case it is the worst case.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Based on numerous posts on irv2 expect that when the old glass is removed that the underlying metal will have rusted areas that will have to be dealt with. Some have posted that installers refused to install the replacement glass when the rust was discovered saying that the rust has to be remediated before the replacement glass is installed.

I suggest you read posts about it on IRV2 and start planning in case it is the worst case.
I have read the same. Thats why i asked about them coming to remove then coming back to install. I dont have the luxary of a garage so dont want to pull the windows myself but i may.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am sure you know replacing RV windshield is not cheap. I know what it cost to replace a 2014 Vista 1 piece windshield. Lots of rust behind windshield. Darrin Thomas Glass in Sebring, Florida has a process to treat the rust, put something over the rust to prevent more rust before replacing the glass. I know he told me the stuff was nasty to work with. he also said it is a lot of work to get the area ready before replacing the glass. So I decided to let the pro do the work.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had my front window on my 09Journey replaced over a year ago. I do most stuff myself but a front window is definitely not a DIY job. Don't get it done by a mobile installer - take it to a glass shop that has experience doing Winnebago class A windshields. They will likely need to order the glass so talk to them and set up the replacement date. It took longer to remove the rust and rehabilitate the window mount than actually installing the window. I used a shop in Elkhart Ind. that was very experienced dealing with the rusted frames and did an excellent job. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I had my front window on my 09Journey replaced over a year ago. I do most stuff myself but a front window is definitely not a DIY job. Don't get it done by a mobile installer - take it to a glass shop that has experience doing Winnebago class A windshields. They will likely need to order the glass so talk to them and set up the replacement date. It took longer to remove the rust and rehabilitate the window mount than actually installing the window. I used a shop in Elkhart Ind. that was very experienced dealing with the rusted frames and did an excellent job. Good luck,
Would love to have a place nearby that does this and doesn't hose you over. Closest i have is CW and I called three of them (all with a 2+ hour drive from me) and not one said they would do the job. Have talked to a few other RV places but they said i can drop it and they will look at it when they can. I dont want my unit at a repair place for 6 months so I'll need to deal with a mobile glass guy.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ken
All you need is an automobile/truck glass place. You don not need or want an RV dealer as they likely send it to automotive glass dealers. Check with them and ask your local guy - if he doesn't or won't do it - who he might recommend. Dont be afraid to go a couple of hundred miles. You and I are not the first to have windshields and if you look to an automotive guy, there really isn't much difference installing in an RV. Also, suggest you tell them you suspect the framing might be rusted and if they can repair. Rust is not unique to RVs. Good luck,
Old 02-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had called a few places and none would do the motor home due to size. I guess I'll try to look around for a truck repair place. I dont have issues with taking it 200 miles away but as said before dont want to leave it for an entire season to get fixed. If i can drop it off and get it back quickly I wouldnt mind the drive.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Recently had my windshield frame (2000 Brave) repaired and new glass put in at Hertrich Chevrolet near Salisbury, MD. The glass was paid for by insurance, but the frame was on me. Hertrich is experienced at doing RV’s. The only problem I had with them was the cleanup of the the inside of the coach after they were done. Had to have them do it a second time. Depending on where you are in Virginia, they may be close enough.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Bobmac,
Can you provide the name of the shop in Elkhart please? I live in SW MI and have windshield problems as described.
gromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I lost both windshields on a trip to Alaska. I used Guardian www.reglassparts.com. They referred a qualified installer and under their program with FMCA I saved quite a bit. Nice thing was they provided Winnebago OE replacement with Winnebago markings, made all the arrangements with the installer and took care of insurance billing.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromhome View Post
Bobmac,
Can you provide the name of the shop in Elkhart please? I live in SW MI and have windshield problems as described.
It was originally Duncan RV Repair but couple of months before mine was replaced was bought out and is now "Gerber Commercial and RV".
Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

What I did was to find a place that does large vehicle body repair, or a place that does RV body repair.

They contacted a mobile glass replacement guy they use all the time. He removed the cracked windsheilds and the shop did the rust removal and metal treatment/painting. The treatment/painting took 24-36 hours total. Then the mobile glass came back and installed the new windshields.

BTW the sealant that they mount the windshield with has to cure for 12 hours or so before you can drive the motorhome.

My insurance did cover glass replacement and rust repair. I paid the shop and sent the receipt to the insurance company and they paid me back, minus the deductible.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

From your description, they did it right! Good luck.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks All. I may call the shop in Salsbury, although it is about 7 hours from me. I have talked to 3 or 4 local truck repair shops around me but all of them told me they are "busy" so it will probably sit. Hope to pull the cover next weekend to get it ready for camping season so will keep searching for a shop.

Tags
ace, adventurer, replace, replacement, vent