Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2003 Adventurer 35U (Workhorse) Front Driver Side Turn signal replacement

Wow... I didn't think I'd need to ask these two questions, but here goes...

1. I've looked at the parts manual but can't seem to find the bulb type for the drivers side turn signal anyone know what it is?

2. I'd normally just pull the bulb and run to the store for the bulb, but I can't see how to get to it without going under the front (I have a bad knee). Is this the way to get to the bulb? (I can do it, but I need to have pads and didn't have them with me today.)

Thanks!

Scott
Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

extremely common Turn/park lite bulb is the 3157 series
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
extremely common Turn/park lite bulb is the 3157 series
Dunno if that's it. It appears to be a wedge base, but that's not the big issue, now.

The big issue is this: From what I gathered today from under, over, beside the motor home, the entire headlight needs to be removed in order to get to the bulb socket. The headlight assembly is held in place by two white clips. Each clip slides behind two slotted studs on each side of the head light assembly (total of four slotted studs). I can get to one on the inboard side of the driver's side head light, but I can't even see the clip on the outboard side--from on top inside the hood or under the motor home. Very frustrating.

There is a weather cap for each of the three lamp housings. If I remove the cap for the turn signal, I can feel the connector, but there is no way to grab it enough to turn it enough to remove socket and bulb.

If anyone has gone through this before, let me know. It would be extremely helpful as I do not want to take the motor home to the dealer and have them replace the light bulb.

Thanks,

Scott

Edit: I've found the headlights are 2001-2005 Chevrolet Impala headlights. I found a video on replacing the headlights in the Impala, but man, that's much easier!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #4

3157 is wedge based bulb
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
3157 is wedge based bulb
Yeah, you're right. Thanks. Now, if I could only get to it.

Scott
Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I am having problems believing that nobody has done this. It looks like I will figure this out and then share the result so nobody has to mess with this, again.

Scott
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have done mine, you can get the bulb without removing the whole assembly, just need to be a little flexible. Also pulling the whole fixture is not a big deal. Pull the white tabs and it comes right out. The headlight assembly is the same one in the Chevy Impala of the same time frame so you can ask the auto parts store for the correct light for a Chevy.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I have done mine, you can get the bulb without removing the whole assembly, just need to be a little flexible. Also pulling the whole fixture is not a big deal. Pull the white tabs and it comes right out. The headlight assembly is the same one in the Chevy Impala of the same time frame so you can ask the auto parts store for the correct light for a Chevy.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried not removing the entire assembly with no luck--I can feel the connector but I can not get enough of a grip on the connector due to a support for some other piece of equipment that goes right behind the headlight assembly. Does your Ford chassis have a boat load of stuff on the drivers side right behind the head light? I think this is the primary difference in this area of the motor home. I can get to the inboard clip, but can't see the outboard clip--even from under the motor home. I'll get it, but it won't happen until tomorrow.

Scott
Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Success! All it took was being able to see what I needed to do. I used this for light: ​Energizer 7 LED Headlight - Weatherproof & 4 Lighting Modes. They work great and are really good for hobby activities such as repairing or building radio controlled helicopters!

Once I was able to find the clip on the outside of the headlight assembly, it was easy to figure out how to get the clip off. The trick was getting the headlight out. It must be pulled out completely straight and level. Any deviation and it will take jiggling to get it out. Once I got the connector out, I saw some corrosion on the contacts, so I cleaned what I could and used a good quality dielectric grease for re-installation. The really odd thing is this: The turn signal bulb fell out of the socket while I was pulling out the assembly.

When I got the assembly out, I tested the bulb. The 3457 bulb was good, but fit very loosely in the socket. I bought a replacement, used the same dielectric grease on that bulb and it fit snugly. After testing everything, my wife thought she would help out, so she reinstalled the light assembly in about two minutes. All I had to do was crawl under and reinstall in the clips.

All in all, a true learning experience, but now that I know how to do it, it's going to be much easier next time--LED replacements, but I need to do research on loading and compatibility with the turn signal circuitry.

Remember, the bulb is a 3457.

Scott

So, for the record, the bulb is a 3457A (A means Amber).
Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've tried not removing the entire assembly with no luck--I can feel the connector but I can not get enough of a grip on the connector due to a support for some other piece of equipment that goes right behind the headlight assembly. Does your Ford chassis have a boat load of stuff on the drivers side right behind the head light? I think this is the primary difference in this area of the motor home. I can get to the inboard clip, but can't see the outboard clip--even from under the motor home. I'll get it, but it won't happen until tomorrow.

Scott
Scott,

My Chassis is wide open behind the drivers side headlight. I can see how having stuff behind the light would make the process a bit more entertaining.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Scott,

My Chassis is wide open behind the drivers side headlight. I can see how having stuff behind the light would make the process a bit more entertaining.
Sure was! But once I could see, it was actually quite easy. Thanks for the support, sir!

BTW, I was in the Navy, too.

Scott

Tags
replacement, workhorse, driver, vent, replace