Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

2002 Journey Cat 330HP Surge tank...

Did a search of the forum and did not find any thread that gave any links or p/n for the Freightliner surge tank that fails so often. Most threads people say they bought their tank(s) from Freightliner. One guy was replacing his every 2 years due to leaks. It doesn't make any sense to me to order one from FL if they refuse to improve it, so I'll be looking for an aftermarket tank.

Does anyone have a lead on an online aftermarket surge tank that'll fit my Journey?

Thanks!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have just bought a used Journey, didn't know there was a problem with the tanks. Do they burst as some point?
Aganit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When we had our 2002 Journey, the tank lasted until 2011 and we had it replaced at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC. They suggested I install a rubber flap that would shield the plastic tank from the sun.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Aganit, the white tank has been known to get a dried out crack looking condition that starts to leak. First I have heard of someone replacing the tank several times. The tank on my 06 coach is the original and still looks good.

Jim_HiTek
I just checked my notes and I don't see any reference to the tank number. Boy you sure have a clean engine compartment!!!! I very envious. I need to ask you a question though, the white writing indicates the oil capacity is 22 quarts. Where did you get that number? I use 19 quarts as the amount to add. From what I have gotten from Cat, 19 qts is for the shallow oil pan and 26 quarts is for the deep oil pan. Just curious....
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
aa1ssradio

I found a replacement made by Dorman on Amazon for our Ultimate when I replaced it. It was also about 1/2 the price and fit perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

Yours might be a different one
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Aganit, the white tank has been known to get a dried out crack looking condition that starts to leak. First I have heard of someone replacing the tank several times. The tank on my 06 coach is the original and still looks good.

Jim_HiTek
I just checked my notes and I don't see any reference to the tank number. Boy you sure have a clean engine compartment!!!! I very envious. I need to ask you a question though, the white writing indicates the oil capacity is 22 quarts. Where did you get that number? I use 19 quarts as the amount to add. From what I have gotten from Cat, 19 qts is for the shallow oil pan and 26 quarts is for the deep oil pan. Just curious....
I'm the 2nd buyer, just bought this unit Feb. 5th so I'm still learning. Haven't driven it other than the 2 miles from the consignment lot here to a RV park where I'm staying.

I've been a full timer and member of RV forums for over a decade now so I'm aware of many RVs where overfilling is an issue so I'll check the manual before replacing the oil next time (it was just done on the consignment lot where I bought it).

The point is, I have no idea if it requires 26 or 19 qts. If the book calls for 26, I'll probably put in 22 though.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
aa1ssradio

Our Journey was 19 qts.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I found a replacement made by Dorman on Amazon for our Ultimate when I replaced it. It was also about 1/2 the price and fit perfect.

Robot Check

Yours might be a different one
That sorta looks like it, Ranger Smith, but I'm not sure. I'm no stranger to metal work so perhaps I could figure out a way to use it anyway (mine has some pretty heavy metal around it, with not much in the way of working room). Anyway, the link will go in my wishlist at Amazon.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'm the 2nd buyer, just bought this unit Feb. 5th so I'm still learning. Haven't driven it other than the 2 miles from the consignment lot here to a RV park where I'm staying.

I've been a full timer and member of RV forums for over a decade now so I'm aware of many RVs where overfilling is an issue so I'll check the manual before replacing the oil next time (it was just done on the consignment lot where I bought it).

The point is, I have no idea if it requires 26 or 19 qts. If the book calls for 26, I'll probably put in 22 though.
CAT reduced the oil quantities for the shallow sump C-7 engines in RVs from 22 qts down to 19 qts because of a change in the positioning of the crankcase vent caused them to vent excess oil. The dipstick usually needs to be re-calibrated for the new level. I would recommend calling the CAT RV Call Center (1-877-777-3126) with your engine serial number to confirm the correct oil quantity for your engine.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
That sorta looks like it, Ranger Smith, but I'm not sure. I'm no stranger to metal work so perhaps I could figure out a way to use it anyway (mine has some pretty heavy metal around it, with not much in the way of working room). Anyway, the link will go in my wishlist at Amazon.

Thanks!
That looks like the tank used on the side-radiator setups.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
To much oil is almost as bad as to little. The amount of oil is dependent on which oil pan your engine has. The little knowledge I have on the subject is from when I was trying to determine how much to put in there. I came across this picture to determine which one I had.

On another web site I found a discussion where an "expert" indicated 2 to 3 quarts are held in the filter and filter housing. This seems to indicate 19 quarts goes into the pan, and one into the filter with another quart or two held in the housing and tubing.

Here is the site and if you can figure it out please let me know. I sure don't want to use the wrong amount.

GMC Truck: VIN..Turbo..engine oil & capacity for oil change
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat C7 Oilpans.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	119905  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganit View Post
I have just bought a used Journey, didn't know there was a problem with the tanks. Do they burst as some point?
Not so much as burst, Aganit, but as was mentioned, they develop cracks and then leak. Sometimes a steady drip, other times more like weeping. Heard of one that a tech accidently put his thumb through it it was so weak.

But those are stories about the white tank. I can't find much reference about a brown tank like mine. But I can just see cracks starting to develope.

What I'm going to do, is use 2" wide Eternabond tape along the bottom of the tank that's showing the cracks while I work out what tank I need and where to get it. I'll also put a plastic sunscreen over it for now as many owners believe the issue to be caused by too much sun. I'm not sure that's it, I'd think it's more likely that heat is the issue, but won't take much work to shield it with a plastic sheet zip tied in place.

Anyway, if anyone has the Freightliner p/n that would sure help. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
To much oil is almost as bad as to little. The amount of oil is dependent on which oil pan your engine has. The little knowledge I have on the subject is from when I was trying to determine how much to put in there. I came across this picture to determine which one I had.

On another web site I found a discussion where an "expert" indicated 2 to 3 quarts are held in the filter and filter housing. This seems to indicate 19 quarts goes into the pan, and one into the filter with another quart or two held in the housing and tubing.

Here is the site and if you can figure it out please let me know. I sure don't want to use the wrong amount.

GMC Truck: VIN..Turbo..engine oil & capacity for oil change
One of the things I remember reading over the years at that 'other' forum (RV.net) is that Cats are notorious for the dipstick being mismarked by the RV manufacturer because the length of the stick is determined by the mounting. Which isn't controlled by Cat. So there's wide variations in the amount of oil to be used as indicated by the stick...which was often mismarked at the factory. Model dependant. Seems that Cat is worse than Cummins in assisting them in determining where to mark the stick. Or so I've read. Too much, and it would blow out the slobber tube. Newer diesels don't have a slobber tube so not as much an issue.

There's a method to figure out how much YOUR RV needs, but I'll have to research and get back to ya.

Another thing I'll have to look up. Gah.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
That looks like the tank used on the side-radiator setups.
It is and mine was a side radiator. Call freightliner and give them the vin. They will give you the part number and you can cross reference it to a Dorman Part.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I bought our coach new 15 years ago and replaced the tank once with a tank that I bought from Freightliner about 10 years ago. Now when I put the coach in storage I place a piece cardboard to keep the sun from seeing my tank. The tank still looks good.

Off topic:

My shallow oil tank original specs called for 22 quarts. Cat later said to use 19 quarts since the oil was coming out the crankcase vent and clogging the radiator fins. Then they came up with a crankcase vent extension but many just extended the vent past the rear bumper with homemade parts. I called Cat many years ago and the tech said it doesn't make sense to save one quart from the last plastic jug, just put the whole four quarts in making a total of 20 quarts. So, I use 20 quarts and have re-calibrated the dip stick and extended the crankcase vent.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
It is and mine was a side radiator. Call freightliner and give them the vin. They will give you the part number and you can cross reference it to a Dorman Part.
My Journey seems to have both rear and side rads. At least there seems to be two large fans on the drivers side at the rear that look like side rad fans. And the pic in my first post shows the rear rad. I haven't crawled under there to look around yet because I'm parked on gravel.

Hmmm, call FL for the p/n...I'll try that. I'm not in the habit of calling them because they were less than helpful 12 years ago the 3-4 times I called them when I first started full timing with my other rig. I do recall reading recently that they're much better now. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Jimhitek,
The radiator looking thing on the drivers side is the condenser for your chassis (dash)/air conditioner. The one on the passenger side is for your basement AC.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Mine is the same color I also bought my 2002 dP the first of Feb. The first I ever owned and my wife and I are having a blast. I have a lot to learn and love to read these forums.
Thanks so much to everybody that takes the time to write, without you I think I would be in a mess trying to figure everything out.
Aganit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Jimhitek,
The radiator looking thing on the drivers side is the condenser for your chassis (dash)/air conditioner. The one on the passenger side is for your basement AC.
Oh, that's what that stuff is. I knew the basement heat and AC equipment was behind the grill thing on the passenger's side but didn't know the AC condenser was the setup on the driver's. Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:

Jim_HiTek
How and why did a question about a "surge tank", (aka: "coolant tank"), morph into a "oil capacity discussion"?

On the original subject of "plasiic coolant tanks"...
methinks those tanks develop leaks over time because the plastic deteriorates from exposure to heat, (from the radiator and engine), NOT from "exposure to sunlight".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, journey, tank