Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35u Ford chassis: driver and shotgun fans not working

Hi. I can't find the switch to turn on the fans over the driver and shotgun seats, as shown in the (I hope) attached image. This is, as the subject says, a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Ford chassis. The Fine Manual appears to be mute with respect to these fans. Are they perhaps controlled by the DEFROST FAN switch? If so, they don't turn in either position, so I suspect I need to get out the multimeter and 12V beeper and start chasing fuses and cables.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1472059598.886803.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  78.0 KB

Thanks,
Melody and Mike Andrews

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On mine there is a rocker switch in the center portion of the dash. Fans are two speed and the switch allows picking high or low speed. Have you checked to see if there might be a switch directly on the fan housing itself?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick reply. There is indeed a rocker switch on the dash labeled DEFROST FAN; to its right is COACH HTR, and directly above it is the rotary switch for the airconditioning/heating fan. Neither HIGH nor LOW causes fan motion. Wire tracing and fuse hunting time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1472066492.370095.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	136984

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That's the right switch.

Anything else not work? Compass, power mirrors, radio? Looks they are are the same circuit. From the Ford radio power fuse if I'm quickly seeing things correctly.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You found the correct defroster fan switch. I would start at the switch to see if it is getting power. If you have an owners manual it should show the fuse location and which fuse is for the fan circuit. You may also find a false bottom on the cabinets that the fans are attached to. That should give you access to the wiring to see if the fan is getting power. Could be the fans are shot, but then it is unlikely that both would go bad at the same time. Hope you problem is as simple as a blown fuse.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I wonder if your fans were factory installed or added after delivery.

I bought a '99 Adventurer that did not have factory installed fans ... they were installed by a vendor ... I do not know where they tapped to get the power.

On my current rig, the fans were factory installed ... I blew a fuse (for the fans) ... it seemed like the windshield wipers and something else would not work ... it was about 10 years ago ... but on my rig the fans are not on a fuse by themselves.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have an 01 Journey. If I turn those fans one they don't work. If I put something in the housing and help 'start' them moving, they start to move on their own...very slow.

Both of mine need replaced...so if you got power up there, it's likely they could both be shot.

This appears to be the right replacement fan:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00065JM8U...I1BILBW91XLLIO

I have not bought them yet...too many other things I've been fixing...I'll get to them eventually.

mac 'be cool' gyvr
Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2002 and the fans operate off the defrost on the dash, in the pic its the first one on the left. We use ours if it's cool enough not to use the a/c but you just need some air movement. If we are using the a/c it helps circulate the cool air.

Tags
chassis, driver, fan, ford, vent, winnebago