Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Am having a problem with the blower (coach heat) on our 2001 Suncruiser. This is the blower for the coach heater. Sounds like something is rubbing when it is on. Anyone know how to get to the blower motor. Took the vent off the floor and reached in but there is a "butterfly" door and can't get by it. Is there access in one of the storage compartments underneath the floor of the coach to the fan and motor.

Thanks

Ron K.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

RONK:
plz update your "signature profile" with your equipment model, etc.
there is a lot of info on this forum about the coach heater. you can access it by using "find and search" function.
i just disconnected the power to the dash switch as it is powered by the same fuse that powers the backup monitor. the fuse kept blowing. and then there was all that racket.
on my moho you can access the blower from behind the water heater. maybe a really skinny person with very long arms could reach the blower from behind the water heater. i would have to remove my water heater to repair it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On my 2001 Suncruiser you have to remove the HWH to get to the Motor Aide heater fan. Unless some very slim nimble individual can squeeze into a very tight spot. Even then I don't know how he would work. It is a shame these things were not made right to begin with. It is a great idea and worth their weight in Bourbon in cold weather.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on my 35U, and squeezed in to the compartment, partially removed the cover on the blower, got the squirrel cage to move added 3 in 1 oil to the bearing areas & it worked, for a couple of years. The second time I added some plastic tubing to feed the oil to the bearing areas, so I can add oil without taking it apart. I'm 6'2" & weigh 230, so you don't have to be skinny to get in there, but it wouldn't hurt.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fred:

I assume your talking about the compartment behind/with the water heater and the cover is up and behind the heater?

Thank You
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ditto Ron K's reply
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Was out in the MH today and found the "box" that contains the blower for the coach heat. Was able to get the screws off the cover on the end you have access to and oiled the motor bearing butttttt...
Reaching as far in as I could and feeling into the opposite end of the motor/fan assembly it looks like my fan is rubbing against the housing causing the noise/rubbing sound. Don't know any way to move the fan further on the shaft to clear the housing short of removing the water heater then removing the entire heater assembly.

Too bad....

Ron K.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho RonK: What you're experiencing is common to almost every coach with this blower. I did exactly what you have done with exactly the same results. When the weather is better (or when we are in Arizona) I will take off the water heater and try to get to both bearings. I like the idea of puting a tube that allows oil access from above. I believe a new blower costs about $60 or so, so they aren't all that expensive, just hard to get to.

My wife would call me cynical, but I can just hear the engineering review on that blower. "Well WI will only pay $23, but we have designed them to fail in about 3 to 4 years, so we should average another $50 in replacment costs, so it should work out ok..."

I am currently fixing a water softener here at home made by GE. Internet forums have exactly the same comment. Designed obsolescence--about 2 to 3 years. Here they provide a repair kit which probably costs them about $1 to $2 for about $70, so have good thoughts about the blower motor. Anyway, it gives us something to do...positive thoughts.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ronk,
I had to force that squirrel cage around to free it up & then applied oil (3 in 1) & jumped the fuse to get it going, both times. After that it worked. It just seems to bind up, but after I freed it up it worked as quietly as when it was new. It's still working now although I had forgot to exercise for some time.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Got my blower problem resolved well enough that I felt good about trading the coach yesterday. Now I don't have to worry about that but in all likelihood have a completely "new" set of problems to address.

Thanks to all who responded

Ron K.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho RonK: Just out of interest, what did you trade for? Inquiring minds want to know. Anyway, good luck and good travels.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Dick:

Thanks for the well wishes.

Just drove home a 2009 Providence by Fleetwood, 40X model. Our first diesel and air ride, WOW!!
Will post more later, busy getting it ready for a month south of here, way south

Ron K.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

RonK. Congratulations on your new rig. That has to be one heck of a transition. Happy travels to you.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote