Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2000 Winnebago 35U with V10

Has anyone had any experience on the best way to change the coolant in this rig? I do not see a drain on the radiator or the block other than the Allen bolts on the side of the block. Any suggestions?
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Steve, I just take mine to shop and get radiator flush. Flush, refill w/antifreeze,inspect hoses etc about 75.00.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Has anyone had any experience on the best way to change the coolant in this rig? I do not see a drain on the radiator or the block other than the Allen bolts on the side of the block. Any suggestions?
Look at a parts store, or Wal-Mart, for the flushing "kit" sold by Prestone., around 5 bucks, I think. It requires you to cut a heater hose and install a "Tee", which is capped and remains in the hose after you finish flushing. This method allows you to get all the old coolant out and truly flush, rather than just draining. I don't remember what you do to refill with new coolant, but I'm sure the instructions will tell you. If nothing else, you can loosen / remove the bottom radiator hose to allow for the addition of new fluid. Be sure to keep it close to a 50/50 blend.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Steve, I just take mine to shop and get radiator flush. Flush, refill w/antifreeze,inspect hoses etc about 75.00.
Thanks I wouldn't mind that but I was quoted 150.00 and I figure I can save at least half that. The guy at the shop said the rig would take about 60 bucks worth of coolant. Have to see what the specs are for this unit.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Look at a parts store, or Wal-Mart, for the flushing "kit" sold by Prestone., around 5 bucks, I think. It requires you to cut a heater hose and install a "Tee", which is capped and remains in the hose after you finish flushing. This method allows you to get all the old coolant out and truly flush, rather than just draining. I don't remember what you do to refill with new coolant, but I'm sure the instructions will tell you. If nothing else, you can loosen / remove the bottom radiator hose to allow for the addition of new fluid. Be sure to keep it close to a 50/50 blend.
Thanks, I got the impression from the shop that quoted me that it would be difficult to get a flush kit into the hoses on this rig. Have not looked myself but will be checking it out. I was hoping there might be a 2000 Adventurer owner out there that had done it and could assist with their experiences.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Don't use the Ford chassis manual to determine how much coolant you need if you have the motoraid option. It's a series of coils surrounding the water heater. The coils use engine coolant to warm the water when the engine is running. This system adds several quarts to the amount of coolant necessary to fill the system.

The other thing to be aware of is that ethylene glycol antifreeze is toxic to dogs and cats. It's sweet and they are attracted to the smell and taste. I tried flushing the cooling system in our 2001 Adventurer once. The antifreeze followed the frame rails and other structural parts and ended up all over the place. It took more time to clean up the mess so the dogs wouldn't get into it than it did to flush and refill the system.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

All I do is open the radiator petcock and drain the coolant. Once it is drained, use the rear leveling jacks to raise the rear as high as you can get. Good for more coolant draining. Refill with 50/50 after that.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
All I do is open the radiator petcock and drain the coolant. Once it is drained, use the rear leveling jacks to raise the rear as high as you can get. Good for more coolant draining. Refill with 50/50 after that.
Was not able to find petcock on radiator. Either not there or we'll hidden? Where is yours?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Don't use the Ford chassis manual to determine how much coolant you need if you have the motoraid option. It's a series of coils surrounding the water heater. The coils use engine coolant to warm the water when the engine is running. This system adds several quarts to the amount of coolant necessary to fill the system.

The other thing to be aware of is that ethylene glycol antifreeze is toxic to dogs and cats. It's sweet and they are attracted to the smell and taste. I tried flushing the cooling system in our 2001 Adventurer once. The antifreeze followed the frame rails and other structural parts and ended up all over the place. It took more time to clean up the mess so the dogs wouldn't get into it than it did to flush and refill the system.
Thanks for the reminder on the water heater. I am aware of the issue with glycol and hope to drain and collect for recycling.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Was not able to find petcock on radiator. Either not there or we'll hidden? Where is yours?
They are typically on the opposite side of the lower radiator hose. Either on the side of the tank or the bottom corner. Mine has one so yours should also. Look on the front of the tank also. It was the beginning of the summer since I messed with mine so I really don't remember the exact location. But it is there. Or, when all else fails, just remove the lower hose but expect a small bath.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #11

The petcock may look like a white/yellowish plastic bolt head.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I'll check again when it stops raining. Could just be an old blind guy. Would be a good idea if I could find the right place to actually flush the system and totally replace as I do not know how old it is.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check again when it stops raining. Could just be an old blind guy. Would be a good idea if I could find the right place to actually flush the system and totally replace as I do not know how old it is.
Based on when I drained and filled mine, pretty much all the coolant will drain out. If I was to guess, less than a gal off coolant is left in the block. Seems like I remember adding 4 gal of 50/50 mix when I did mine. However I do not have any aux heater lines with the exception of the front heater.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Based on when I drained and filled mine, pretty much all the coolant will drain out. If I was to guess, less than a gal off coolant is left in the block. Seems like I remember adding 4 gal of 50/50 mix when I did mine. However I do not have any aux heater lines with the exception of the front heater.
If you look at the specs for the ford v10, they will take 29 liters (approx 31 qts) of coolant but I am not sure if that is with the aux water heater coils (which I have) if you used 4 gals, then you have replaced about half?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #15

Quote:
If you look at the specs for the ford v10, they will take 29 liters (approx 31 qts) of coolant but I am not sure if that is with the aux water heater coils (which I have) if you used 4 gals, then you have replaced about half?
Im sure that spec is just for the F53 chassis only. Converted that is 7.71 gallons of coolant. Seems like I remember using 4 gallons but I don't remember exactly. I get the coolant for free at work so I just kept getting coolant till I was done. However, if you only get 4 gallons out, add water and drain till nothing but water is left in the block. Then add 4 gallons of coolant only. This should get you close to the 50/50 mix. 40/60 can be used in hotter climates.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Im sure that spec is just for the F53 chassis only. Converted that is 7.71 gallons of coolant. Seems like I remember using 4 gallons but I don't remember exactly. I get the coolant for free at work so I just kept getting coolant till I was done. However, if you only get 4 gallons out, add water and drain till nothing but water is left in the block. Then add 4 gallons of coolant only. This should get you close to the 50/50 mix. 40/60 can be used in hotter climates.
Seems they can't make it easy for us! Have seen warnings not to lower than 40% and no higher than 60% and if you are draining half of the volume and replacing with concentrate, you could be higher than 60% cause the stuff left in the block and heater is at least 50% mixture?

Talk about over thinking things!!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Seems they can't make it easy for us! Have seen warnings not to lower than 40% and no higher than 60% and if you are draining half of the volume and replacing with concentrate, you could be higher than 60% cause the stuff left in the block and heater is at least 50% mixture?

Talk about over thinking things!!
That's why I was saying to add water run and drain a few times to get pure water in the there, then drain. But depending on the water being used, it may not be the best either. Distilled water is recommended or a water filtering system. Ford does have specs for testing tap water to see if it can be used but I have to try and find it again. Seems like someone said the V10 has a block drain but honestly I never have looked for one to verify.

The flush machines (at least the ones I have seen and used) will be a pain with the F53 chassis. Not much room for the machine hoses to the t-stat housing to flush out. Im sure there are test strips at local autoparts stores to test the quality of the coolant after a change. This will make sure the coolant is safe.

And yes, in cold climates 60/40 and hot is 40/60 mixtures. Recommended is 50/50.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The petcock may look like a white/yellowish plastic bolt head.
Just to let you know that I did find the plastic valve on the radiator. It was hidden behind a hose. Better than a brass petcock as I can get a small hose on it to drain into a 5 gal bucket.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #19

Glad to hear you found it.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I did my 2001 f53 with motor aid 2 years ago.. I took off the lower hose and drained into 5 gal bucket. Then drained the block into another bucket. Closed it up again and filled it with garden hose. I let it warm up and then took off lower hose and drained block again.
Closed it up again and put in 4 gallons of green fuel strength antifreeze. Started it up and filled to full with 3 to 4 gallons distilled water
Amazon sells the coolant strips. Mine still shows good.
Use teflon tape on the block plugs.