Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Winn UA 40J Question

Has anyone been able to install 4-6 volt batteries in the house batter slide and replace the 3-12 volts batteries it seems that the compartment is not tall enough and the tray just not quite wide enough, Thanks
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I did that! My 2000 Horizon has two trays. The chassis batteries are on the bottom. The house batteries are on the top. I was able to remove the tray and then removed the slides from the tray. I needed the tray to be just a little wider so a neighbor of mine took it to his fabricating shop and cut the tray right down the center. He spread the two pieces to the exact width I needed and then patched them together by welding a 1 1/2 inch band to hold the two sides together. I then painted everything reinstalled the slide (had to redrill holes to compensate for increased width. I now am running 4 Trojan 6 volt batteries. Going on 5 years. The batteries are tall so it is tight. I installed a watering system so I don't have to struggle maintaining the batteries. Sorry I don't have pictures.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I installed 4 GC2 batteries from Sams club. It just fits. Take your measurements of the tray and find batteries that fit . The size of the batteries will vary by about 1/2" even though they will all be designated CG2 batteries
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I altered my tray 1" width to allow 4 each golf cart batteries. After careful measuring for clearance on sides and top split tray lengthwise and bolted 1/4X 3/4 steel bars under the lip used to grab tray to slide out (see black bar bolted under lip). Slotted the 8 carriage bolt holes used to hold tray to chassis to tray so they would align with the additional 1/2" per side. No welding required. Cut chassis rail over top 1/4" to allow more clearance for additional height of new batteries. The short aluminum angle iron on bottom was pop riveted on to so nylon hold down strap front to back is used. No need to remove tray from slides. Used a Harbor freight air gun and cut off wheels to do all cutting. Will try to send more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0502.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	69755  
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0503.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	69756   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0501.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	69757  

Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Batteries

Thanks for the pictures and info yes it does look like I will be able to remove the tray and cut it in half and will probably gain 3/4 to 1 inch width but my real problem is the height and I didn't think about the auto water install as I didn't want to be sliding in and out to check water level great idea I will need to maybe purchase some new drawer slides but for me my brother retired from Acuride one of the leading producers of ball bearing sliders.
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine turned out just like Charles' did. While the height of the 6 volts made it tight, the water system fit without lowering the tray. I think you will find out your existing slide will work fine. You should not have to replace.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I didn't need a watering system as my tray comes out far enough to add water.