Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Suncruiser 35U DHS issue

I recently pulled out my tube TV and replaced it with a 32" Samsung LCD. When I pulled the old TV out, I found a mini 2 conductor audio plug that may or may not have been connected to the TV (I am a recent new owner, so the old owner may have disconnected it, or it may have come loose when I pulled the TV out).

The rig has a DHS "surround sound" system, but with the audio plug only being 2 conductor, it no doubt was only designed to receive a mono signal to the sound system. I tried plugging the mini plug into the "Audio Out" jack on the new LCD TV, thinking that I should be at least able to get a mono sound out of the surround speakers, but to my disappointment, I heard nothing. I set the TV for Audio Out to the jack on the TV, and also set the switch in the upper right cab to "TV", as well as setting the switch on the dash to both Chassis and Coach, but still nothing.

Has anyone with this rig had any experience changing out the TV and connecting it to the DHS sound system? Also, where is the DHS system located?? I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks,
Bob M.
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here's the TV/VCR Wiring Installation diagram for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem when I changed out tv's. Finally soldered the leads directly to the speakers in the new tv and everything worked great.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions and wiring info. Does anyone know where the DHS unit is located in this rig??

Bob
Old 01-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPECTORBOB View Post
I recently pulled out my tube TV and replaced it with a 32" Samsung LCD. When I pulled the old TV out, I found a mini 2 conductor audio plug that may or may not have been connected to the TV (I am a recent new owner, so the old owner may have disconnected it, or it may have come loose when I pulled the TV out).

The rig has a DHS "surround sound" system, but with the audio plug only being 2 conductor, it no doubt was only designed to receive a mono signal to the sound system. I tried plugging the mini plug into the "Audio Out" jack on the new LCD TV, thinking that I should be at least able to get a mono sound out of the surround speakers, but to my disappointment, I heard nothing. I set the TV for Audio Out to the jack on the TV, and also set the switch in the upper right cab to "TV", as well as setting the switch on the dash to both Chassis and Coach, but still nothing.

Has anyone with this rig had any experience changing out the TV and connecting it to the DHS sound system? Also, where is the DHS system located?? I can't find it anywhere!

Hi Bob, all rigs are different, specifically what do you have. Mine is under the dash on the right side just above the passenger's feet.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We have the same rig as you and have long since replaced the sound system with a real surround system with an amplified subwoofer. I thought since the sound system was the "enhanced" system it would be ok, but after a little checking decided to just put a full-featured receiver in the overhead, add a good woofer and change out the surround speakers. It made a big difference.

By the way, do you have any additional info about changing the TV? We are about to change to an HDTV system. Did you remove the plastic surround? How is the TV mounted and trimmed?

Thanks, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Dirk,

I disconnected the audio, power and antenna cable from the back of the TV, then removed the front trim from the TV. There may be a couple of screws on the bottom of the trim, or it may just be stuck on with heavy duty velcro. Mine had the screws. Once the trim was removed, it allowed access to the steel strap and bolts that held the TV in place. Unscrew the bolts (one on each side of the TV) and the TV will pull out. I suggest you have a helper, because the TV is heavy.

I then removed the bottom shroud, as well as the steel cage which supported the TV. I had some old steel shelving laying around ( the kind that uses the "L" shaped uprights. I used the uprights to build a new support frame. Any steel angle iron will do the same thing. Mine is about 1 1/2" wide. The cabinet where the TV was has sheet metal sides on either side of the opening. The sheet metal has a flange on the top of it. I took a piece of the angle iron and spanned the opening, and bolted it to the top of the sheet metal flanges. I then hung a couple of angle iron pieces vertically from the angle iron which spanned the opening, and attached a TV mount to it. I also added horizontal pieces of angle iron side to side and front to back at the bottom for extra strength. I weigh 220 pounds, and it didn't budge when I tried to hang from it. I bought the mount from Monoprice.com. It is a great source. They have really heavy duty mounts for super prices.

I used a Samsung 32" LCD TV from Costco, which was $399. It fit perfect between the two upper cabinet doors, with about 1/2 inch clearance on either side. The back of the TV is contoured, so part of it is recessed in the opening. I used some rubber weather stripping on either side to keep the TV from hitting the cabinet. I left about the same amount of clearance from the ceiling as the cabinet doors, and finished off the top opening with a piece of 2" oak molding stained to match. I took a vote, and everyone I asked said to not use a wood frame around the rest of the TV. I think it looks great without it, too.

I am planning to finish the bottom by using a piece of thin plywood, cut to match the opening. I will then remove a large portion of the interior of the plywood, so it is basically just a frame, and cover the entire thing with something like speaker cloth. That will allow air to circulate, and the piece can be held in place with a couple of screws or velcro. The TV hangs down below this, but I really like not having the big bottom shroud. It makes for alot better visibility. There is a courtesy lamp that was on the bottom of the old TV shroud, which I will mount to the plywood by cutting a hole in it to fit.

We just got back from a week-end trip, and the TV was solid as a rock. I'll try to see if I can post some pics.

When you replaced your sound system , where did you find the old DHS amp?

Bob
Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPECTORBOB View Post
Hi Dirk,

I disconnected the audio, power and antenna cable from the back of the TV, then removed the front trim from the TV. There may be a couple of screws on the bottom of the trim, or it may just be stuck on with heavy duty velcro. Mine had the screws. Once the trim was removed, it allowed access to the steel strap and bolts that held the TV in place. Unscrew the bolts (one on each side of the TV) and the TV will pull out. I suggest you have a helper, because the TV is heavy.

I then removed the bottom shroud, as well as the steel cage which supported the TV. I had some old steel shelving laying around ( the kind that uses the "L" shaped uprights. I used the uprights to build a new support frame. Any steel angle iron will do the same thing. Mine is about 1 1/2" wide. The cabinet where the TV was has sheet metal sides on either side of the opening. The sheet metal has a flange on the top of it. I took a piece of the angle iron and spanned the opening, and bolted it to the top of the sheet metal flanges. I then hung a couple of angle iron pieces vertically from the angle iron which spanned the opening, and attached a TV mount to it. I also added horizontal pieces of angle iron side to side and front to back at the bottom for extra strength. I weigh 220 pounds, and it didn't budge when I tried to hang from it. I bought the mount from Monoprice.com. It is a great source. They have really heavy duty mounts for super prices.

I used a Samsung 32" LCD TV from Costco, which was $399. It fit perfect between the two upper cabinet doors, with about 1/2 inch clearance on either side. The back of the TV is contoured, so part of it is recessed in the opening. I used some rubber weather stripping on either side to keep the TV from hitting the cabinet. I left about the same amount of clearance from the ceiling as the cabinet doors, and finished off the top opening with a piece of 2" oak molding stained to match. I took a vote, and everyone I asked said to not use a wood frame around the rest of the TV. I think it looks great without it, too.

I am planning to finish the bottom by using a piece of thin plywood, cut to match the opening. I will then remove a large portion of the interior of the plywood, so it is basically just a frame, and cover the entire thing with something like speaker cloth. That will allow air to circulate, and the piece can be held in place with a couple of screws or velcro. The TV hangs down below this, but I really like not having the big bottom shroud. It makes for alot better visibility. There is a courtesy lamp that was on the bottom of the old TV shroud, which I will mount to the plywood by cutting a hole in it to fit.

We just got back from a week-end trip, and the TV was solid as a rock. I'll try to see if I can post some pics.

When you replaced your sound system , where did you find the old DHS amp?

Bob
Inspector Bob, We just bought the same rig in 32' and probably have the same construct for the monstrosity in our cab. Were you ever able to post pictures? I'm looking for ideas soon because that "thing" scares me - I have this image of it falling and the damage it could do (not that it would, but the way it rattles, squeaks, and groans...).
Thanks, Butch
peggwn is offline   Reply With Quote