Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2000 Suncruiser

We have been looking around to buy a used MH and found a 2000 Suncruiser 35U that we really liked, The dealer is asking almost 40K. Do any of you have any experience with this coach? The dealer has said he will work with us on the price some, but we are wondering if the price is in the right range.

Also, his info says that it has a Workhorse chassis and engine. The brochure I downloaded from Winnebago show that the 35U only comes with a Triton V10. Did that change in midyear? I need to go back this next week and look more at the engine and the paperwork and also try it out on the road to see how it handles. I did check fairly good for leaks, etc and didn't find any. I know that the roof will need to be sealed again as there are just a few checks and small surface cracks.

That's all I can think of right now. May have more questions later. I did see the thread on basement air, so I know that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Carl
geekygpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Carl,

I checked NADA book and $40K is well beyond the realm of reality. Unfortunately, that is standard protocol for many dealers - ask for the moon and you just might get it.

2000 Itasca SUNCRUISER Series M-35U-FORD(*) - 35' Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

Offer them $25K (or less!) and see if they bite.

BTW, NADA confirms the 35U was Ford chassis.

Good Luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nick is right, they are on some spectacular hallucinogens if they think they can get 40K!! I did some quick research and found a dozen of the from 23K to 31K, depending on mileage and extra's.

I am a fan of the Suncruiser as I have a 1990. Of course no slides but nearly every option that was available for the year, to include being a basement model. It is well built, a dream to drive, and has a Ford 460.

If you like this rig, definately, start the talks at a MUCH lower number than they are asking.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Nick Nick. Ask 25k out door.
th12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info. I went to their website and found out that I had gotten 2 different MH's mixed up the other was a 2000 National Tropical with 47K miles for 35K. The Suncruiser was a 2001 with 9600 (yep, less than 10k) on it for 40k. I know that is still high, but not quite as bad a price for low mileage like that. Figured we would start at 30K on the bidding.
geekygpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Carl,
I just bought an '01 Suncruiser, Ford chasis, 26K miles, all the options, suround sound etc,,, $35K. I think I paid too much, but still happy with it. I've worked through several small issues. I have the fogging front windows that I'll have to deal with, also vinyl graphics on one side are shot, I plan to remove all the vinyl and paint them on at some point.

I would check EVERYTHING. See what doesn't work. If your mechanically inclined and have time to deal with small things, don't let them scare you off, but if not, repairs at a dealership can be REDICULOUS!

Either way, good luck, hope it all works out for you,
Kev
kevgofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Take a close look at the spec page of the brochure you downloaded. In the "Automotive" section it says the Workhorse chassis is standard for the 32V. All others (35B, 35U, and 37G) have the Ford chassis.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In May 10 I traded in an 01 Adventurer 35U w/82K mi. on the Ford V-10. The guy who ended up buying it from a dealer paid $29K for it. I lthink there is a difference between the 00 and 01 Ford as far as horsepower goes. I think they upped it in 01 from 275 to 310. I really put that engine to the test for 70K mi. towing a 5Klb Dakota and it never hiccuped one time in 8 years. It is a strong engine. You will be satisfied with the engine. I did "flush" the tranny every 20K tho, and had no problem with that either. Just info for thought.

Tags
suncruiser