Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2000 journey vs 2003 sightseer, which one?

Hi All,
I've been looking at RV for a bit now and just did our first RV vacation trip in a rental, it was awesome! So I am ready to buy my first one, but need your help.

I found two locally that I like

1. 2003 sightseer WFD30B 32,000 miles, gas for $29,900

2. 2000 Journey 34b, 89,000 miles, diesel with diesel generator for the $29,500 (on sale for $35,000)

both seem to be about the same condition overall.

which one would you go with? is 89K miles too high for the Journey?
please help me decided,
thanks
reachkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Not trying to being smart here, but if you are asking to compare these two rigs if would be like comparing apples to oranges. I would suggest you go with the gas rig. You being new to this game I would not recommend a diesel.

Motorhomes are money pits and the diesels are bigger money pits. I am on my fourth unit and all have been gas. Oil changes alone on diesel will run $250 or better unless you are able to change your own oil and filter. Then you have other filters that must be changed and of coarse the air filter that must be changed on a regular basis due to the high volume of air taken in by the engine. Oil changes for a gas engine can run $65 which is a big difference from the diesel. Check out what the hourly rate for a mechanic to work on a gas vs. diesel, it will stun you. The miles on the Journey are not high for the engine and transmission, but remember the box on top has just as many miles as the running gear and today's construction, things tend to loosen up.

Low mileage can be a nemesis to motorhomes also. If not used on a regular basis gas can go bad as well as diesel can get algae growing in the tank. Same goes for the generator. Low hours spells trouble. The old adage, use it or lose it, is very true when it comes to motorhomes. Hope this helps.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I just bought an 01 Journey 36 DL. Its my first motorhome and I'm very happy with it so far. I agree that the labor and service its more $$$, but i wanted extra torque for pulling and climbing hills.
When i started looking for a MH my criteria was simple, diesel pusher. Either way you go i strongly recommend an extended warranty on an older coach.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Smile

reachkan,

Unlike the previous post, all things being equal, I'd advise to go with the diesel Journey. As he said it is comparing apples to oranges. The ride of a diesel can't be beat. The maintenance will cost more, but is less frequent. Oil change is just once a year, air filter is every 3 years. The quality of construction is much better on a Journey diesel.

The gas owner is on his fourth gas motorhome, but I'm still on my first. As others have advised, buy your last motorhome first. It is very costly to try to trade up to what you will want.

So there you go. Two thoughts from different points of view. Best of luck!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Reachkan,
I'm on my sixth motorhome. I used to buy and sell motorhomes. Three of mine have been gas and the last three have been diesels. I would not go back to a gasser. Everything that THutch says above is true. However, 89,000 is a lot of miles on a coach. Not so much on the engine, trannie and frame, but on the coach above it all, it's a lot of miles. Unless it's been very well taken care of, I would look for something with less miles.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

thank you very much everyone for the help. I'm thinking diesel pusher for me, but was worry about the miles. You guy have answer my question. Will try to find another Journey with lower miles.
thank you
reachkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

reachkan,

89K mikes is nothing on a diesel pusher. I would not worry about the miles if the coach looks good, feels solid in a test drive, and has no excessive wear. I have a 2005 and we are pushing 48K. NADA doesn't even consider miles on a diesel.

Which ever one the wife likes is the right choice!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have been a full time RVer since 2001. I started with a gas Adventurer which I liked a lot. In 2007 I bought a Journey and love it and would not want a gas again. As was stated in previous posts the ride between the two is dramatic, much better with the diesel. Yes, I do spend more on maintenance with the diesel but largely because I did a lot of it myself on the gas coach. 89k mileage is nothing on a diesel, I know a couple who has 300k + on their mh. I wish you the best whichever you choose.
I also highly recommend you join WIT, Winnebago Itasca Travelers, a great oranization.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Buy the DP

If you have ANY mechanical ability you can do most of the service work yourself and save a great deal of money.

I was quoted $250 for an oil change...did it myself for $80 (5 gal of premium oil at WalMart and a filter from CAT)

I was quoted $500+ to service Allison trans with Transynd (I don't have to do this again for another 100,000 miles)....did it myself for $240 (5 gal of Transynd on sale for $38 each and a filter set from Allison for $50)

It goes on and on...none of this is very hard to do, you just need to get a little dirty...my buddy paid $300 to have a new air cleaner installed...I bought mine on line for $80 and installed it in an hour and a half (and now I could do that in less than an hour).

Somethings you won't want to do, like setting the valves (at 60,000 miles) or replacing belts (whenever) but an awful lot of the mundane stuff you can do yourself...and as was pointed out earlier diesel service intervals are much longer than those of a gasser.

I vote diesel.
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have had three gassers. All were sightseers. Right now I have a 2011 33c. Love it. But if you have a DP that you like. I would go for that. Had a 31 2004 with ford chassis, ride was not good. Keep it 6 months. traded for 35 2004 sightseer with workhorse much better than the 31. But the journey should ride the best. I think the inside would be more concern 89,000 miles means someone lived in the RV a lot. The condition of the furniture and appliances should be the focus. Good luck !
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

A lot of folks will tell you that "89,000 miles is nothing on a diesel" which is true, but 89,000 miles on a coach, ANY coach, is a LOT! The engine, tranny and the chassis will go on forever but it's the little stuff that will drive you nuts. I just got rid of a Fleetwood Discovery that had 94,000 miles on it. (I put 10,000 of the miles on it myself) During the year that I owned it, I put more than $10,000.00 into it. That doesn't include fuel. And I did most of the repairs myself, except the engine issues. Unless a coach has been extremely well cared for by the previous owner and had every little thing fixed and maintained, I would steer clear of it. I am lucky that I enjoy doing doing stuff myself. If you are not the DIY type, buy something newer and with less miles on it.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I've had four motor homes, one gas, one front engine diesel and two diesel pushers. I can't see any benefit of going back to a gasser. There are pros and cons to each type of unit so you need to select what you feel is best for you. Personally, not knowing all the facts and condition of the units - I'd tend to think the diesel pusher would be best (for me). Just my opinion!!!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

As mentioned several times above, 89K is barely juvenile for a diesel engine, trans and frame. it's WAY more rugged all the way around, where at that age a significant number of gassers are getting quite elderly, and that's just the way it is.

It's quieter on the road, has a significantly higher CCC, probably larger tanks and better resale over the longrun. Without looking, price wise, one of them is gotta be off. These two aren't close to being in the same class, and a 3 year age separation isn't enough to put them on par with each other.

But unless you're mechanically competent, have BOTH checked out before purchase.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, sightseer